Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I Think I Might Be Insane!!!

les
March 15th, 2006, 07:08 PM
So I was looking at PetFinder like I do almost once a week :eek: and I found one that I REALLY like!!

The issue is I already have 2 dogs! and a cat! What does everyone think of having 3 dogs? Is that an insane idea?

My dogs now are an almost 2 female lab and a 18 month old male lab mix .. the one that caught my eye is a 5 year old male lab. I have a real weakness for chocolate labs! ;)

Anyways, I kind of figure I'll watch PetFinder and the rescue site for a week or two and see if he gets adopted and if he does great and if not I'll make that call! :o

So who has 3 dogs and what's it like? Is it possible to walk 3 dogs at once? Will I become the obsessed dog lady on my street?? The only thing I've been worried about with having 3 is having 2 gang up on 1 or one being left out alot.

Will 3 fit in my jeep?? LOL Or I'll have to trade my bf for the Element ;) I think he'd actually like that!!

Darn PetFinder :evil:

jesse's mommy
March 15th, 2006, 07:12 PM
I say go for it!!

Prin
March 15th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Go for it! There are so many chocolate labs. They need your help.

angie79
March 15th, 2006, 07:17 PM
you want to see 3 dogs!!!! come on over lol

I have a mini schnauzer 1 yr 3 mths who doesn't understand when play time is over!!!!!

Baby sitting my parents:
4 yr old mini schnazer who loves cooper but is quick to freak out when he's had enough

and baby sitting thier 10 year old shar pei who is happy when the 2 little ones are out side and can cuddle with me (she never learned to play) but likes to be the center of attention, laying down in the middle of schnauzer WWF

I offten think Cooper would do good with a friend so i take him to my moms!!!!

He is a jealous only child as well!!!!

Thank god my parents return sunday!!!!

so when are you coming to my circus??

les
March 15th, 2006, 07:19 PM
I should know what fellow dog lovers are going to say about it!!

I just can't stop thinking about the poor guy. It says his owners divorced and nobody wanted him ... I can't even imagine after they've had him for 5 years! What the heck is wrong with people???

les
March 15th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Your circus sounds like fun ;)

My house can get a little crazy too ... so I like to keep them well exercised and tired ;)

Prin
March 15th, 2006, 07:23 PM
I should know what fellow dog lovers are going to say about it!!

I just can't stop thinking about the poor guy. It says his owners divorced and nobody wanted him ... I can't even imagine after they've had him for 5 years! What the heck is wrong with people???
ooo you could give him such a good ending. Just make sure he gets along with everybody else first.

angie79
March 15th, 2006, 07:23 PM
They are all sleeping now!!!!
but cooper can get like a crabby over tierd 2 year old....

They are all friends but the barking and yelling!!! I guess they are having fun..
But i'm used to just the 1 baby

les
March 15th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Yeah I would take my two up to meet him first to be sure. Mine are super friendly and get along with most everybody they meet.

My parents might have me committed - - they already think I've lost it having 2!!! :p

BMDLuver
March 15th, 2006, 07:52 PM
I had an adopter recently say that "dogs are like potatoe chips, you just can't have only two"... of course, they have 5 xlarge breeds.

les
March 15th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by BMDLuver
"dogs are like potatoe chips, you just can't have only two"

That's so true .. it's like an addiction ;) They're just so funny and so much fun. Eventually I want to move to a big piece of property ... my BF once said I could get a dog an acre ... I want at least 100 acres ;)

jesse's mommy
March 15th, 2006, 08:03 PM
He's calling your name -- come adopt me, come adopt me...

Prin
March 15th, 2006, 08:04 PM
That is so true. And then the size of your home is never big enough. :o I want a dane or a newf, but I don't think it would fit in the doorway (ok, I'm exaggerating).

But labs are small. You can fit three anywhere. Yey! Les is getting a puppy!!! (Sure he's not new to the world, but he's new to you!)

les
March 15th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Next Prin we'll all have to work on your man .. convince him that 3 is a much better number then 2!! ;)

Prin
March 15th, 2006, 08:14 PM
LOL I think he's still deciding on Jemma...:D

les
March 15th, 2006, 08:54 PM
HAHAHAHA I can tell from all the pics that he likes her!! ;)

Here's the guy who's calling my name:

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5930446

jesse's mommy
March 15th, 2006, 08:58 PM
You need to call right now! :D

jesse's mommy
March 15th, 2006, 09:07 PM
I just asked Jim about this one and he said no :sad:

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5667557

I can't seem to come up with any convincing reasons as to why we should get a second. Sorry to threadjack, but I'm a lab fan too and would love a playmate for Jesse!!!

Prin
March 15th, 2006, 09:11 PM
My jaw actually dropped when I saw that one. That doggy is absolutely beautiful. What lovely eyes he has.:love: And he's little too. Fight for him! What's with this asking for permission stuff? Aren't we strong women? What have we become?!;)

cpietra16
March 15th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Les... get off this site and get your baby home...and Jesse's mommy...sneak him in. Maybe your hubby won't notice. Lab all look a like and he might think that he's starting to see double:D

les
March 15th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Awww he's too cute.

Good luck with Jim ... this is what I did going for two .... wait until he's had a few drinks and then bring it up. LOL Then in the morning I started emailing. ;)

jesse's mommy
March 15th, 2006, 09:32 PM
I've tried the few drinks thing and it didn't work for him. He's too quick with comebacks and at that point I usually have a few drinks myself so I'm useless. :o I need good solid persuasive statements here. I told him he would be a great companion to Jesse and they would learn from each other and strive together. He had two responses. a) they would tear the house apart together playing because Jesse wouldn't leave him alone b) Jesse would be heartbroken if we tried to introduce another dog because she is so dependent on us. I told him it wouldn't break her heart, but open it up. Didn't work.

Now Les, are you picking your new doggie up tomorrow?????

jesse's mommy
March 15th, 2006, 09:34 PM
sneak him in. Maybe your hubby won't notice. Lab all look a like and he might think that he's starting to see double:D

That's so funny. Like he wouldn't notice two, he doesn't drink that much! :D

les
March 15th, 2006, 09:45 PM
I'll keep you posted :)

mummummum
March 15th, 2006, 10:16 PM
I just asked Jim about this one and he said no :sad:

Hmmm that old conundrum...is it better to do what you want and beg forgiveness later or to ask permission first and be denied ?:D

3 doggies ?!? Yup - you're crazy...but then aren't we all?

/(says she with 3 :crazy: dawgies)

Prin
March 15th, 2006, 10:32 PM
a) they would tear the house apart together playing because Jesse wouldn't leave him alone b) Jesse would be heartbroken if we tried to introduce another dog because she is so dependent on us. I told him it wouldn't break her heart, but open it up. Didn't work.

a) no they wouldn't. They'd play outside together and get more of a workout that in the home, they'd both be calmer. (Trust me on this one. The playing wears off pretty quick when they're confined to a smaller space and they get to run with each other outside. You can also train them to stop playing when you say "enough" or something like that. It's easily done.)

b) Not true (usually... never say never). Boo was so dependent on my man, but now he has a little girly to take care of, as well as a territory. He went from dependent to independent in the blink of an eye. He's still great for cuddles though- he just has more confidence.

The dynamic changes and as long as you don't give the new dog more attention than her, it should be ok. The pack doesn't change too much if you add somebody to the bottom of it. She'll become even more confident if she has somebody below her in the pack.

Frenchy
March 16th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Les;go for it!!I have 3 and it's not so different as having 2.You might have to change your car (I did) but if you are not ready,don't look at petfinder no more,it's too heartbreaking.So,what happened?Did you make a decision?

ZebbyZeb
March 17th, 2006, 03:16 AM
I agree with Frenchy....go for it. 3 is no so different from 2, but then we went from 3 to 5 and it's definitely a party:crazy:

chico2
March 17th, 2006, 08:27 AM
I see he's no longer listed at pet.finder,does it mean he now lives with Les???

Dog Mom
March 17th, 2006, 08:35 AM
I think you are crazy LOL (this coming from someone who has 5 and 1 part-timer)
Go for it we went from 2 to 5 and it's great!!

chi babies
March 17th, 2006, 11:26 AM
If you truely want this dog............go get him out of there :) I wouldnt wait any longer.
As for being insane ..........Not in the least.We have 5 chi's an american eskimo and a cat.Now some people think we are insane but who cares.It is sooooooo much fun seeing them play in the house.The joy that animals bring into our lives is priceless.Who cares how many dogs one has, as long as they are cared for.
I think this lab really needs a person like yourself :)

les
March 17th, 2006, 06:17 PM
So I was too slow. He'e been adopted already - which is fine :) I just wanted him to have a home and I'm happy he got one so quick.

3 doesn't sound so bad and it seems alot here are crazy like me! :crazy:

So back to watching petfinder and next time I'll have to be quicker! :)

Frenchy
March 17th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Les,that not true,it's not because you were too slow.It only means he wasn't meant to be your dog.It will give you more time to think about it,the pro's and con's.And if you still want a third one,you will find one that NEEDS YOU and not someone else.Good luck!While you are looking,you could dogsit my 3 goldens just to see what it's like,I have to go to a dinner tomorrow,first time in a long time I have to leave them alone on a weekend (just a couple hours)