Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Calgary cat lienses

lezzpezz
March 15th, 2006, 03:42 PM
from press today:

Calgary has moved one step closer to requiring licences for its 100,000 cats. Councillors voted 8-7 to pass the licensing bylaw, which would take effect next year, as part of a new "responsible pet ownership" bylaw. Cat owners would license their pets for up to $30 a year or face a fine as high as $250. Opponents of the scheme will have a final chance to scuttle it when the bylaw comes up for third reading next week. But if all the councillors attend that meeting, the rules are expected to pass. One of the opponents, Ald. Druh Farrell, said cat licensing hasn't worked in other cities. "There is a very low level of compliance."

Gazoo
March 15th, 2006, 06:33 PM
I'm in cowtown and I think it's just a cash grab by the city counci;l and animal services. Maybe they should call it the cat tax. ;)

I really don't believe that licensing cats will save many cat lives as most strays and abandoned cats won't be licensed anyways. :confused:

Besides if a cat is an indoor cat and already chipped/tattoed....how is the licensing fee going to help that cat owner?