Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

15 yr old fixed female mouning constantly

meow04
March 15th, 2006, 04:33 PM
I have 4 cats between the ages of 13 and 15. The oldest Mariah is 15 this month and has lost a tremendous amount of weight and mouns all day and night. We feed our cats Medical Mature and they split 1 can of Friskies twice a day. She still eats and drinks as normal. She also plays and loves to go in the back yard (supervised) for 5 to 10 min a day. She has no lumps or bumps and appears not to be in pain - yet she is mouning all the time - every morning at exactly 4 am.

We just had them to the vet in November and all were extremely well and happy.

Please let me know if anyone has any idea of what could be wrong. I would hate to put her through xrays and blood tests is possible.

Thank you - Meow4

jessi76
March 15th, 2006, 04:43 PM
and has lost a tremendous amount of weight and mouns all day and night.

anytime there is "tremendous" weight loss - you should be concerned. Why would you hate to put her through any routine tests? Wouldn't you want to know if anything is wrong?

If my cat lost a tremendous amount of weight, you can bet I'd be having tests done to find out the cause.

I strongly suggest you call your vet, and schedule an apointment.

chico2
March 15th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Weightloss is always a sign that something is going on,I would definitely have her checked out.
A routine yearly exam at the vet,usually only involves,heart,lungs,teeth etc...the vet would not be looking for anything specific unless you ask her too.
Cats are also great at hiding pain,until one day it gets to be too much.
So,definitely tell your vet about your concerns. Good Luck!

Lucky Rescue
March 15th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Lots of things can happen to a 15 year old cat in 5 months.

Your cat need complete blood work done to check for diabetes, thyroid problems etc.

I don't know why you would hate to give her a blood test. Dying of diabetes or kidney failure is much worse and much more unkind.

Please take her in.

jawert1
March 15th, 2006, 07:29 PM
I understand not wanting to stress your beloved kitty out, especially at her age, but it's really time for a trip to the vet. Weight loss is a serious matter in dogs and cats and has to be addressed quickly. Good luck and let us know how she makes out :)

White Wolf
March 16th, 2006, 04:34 AM
FYI: posted again (more explanation): http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24860