Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

not dog people

AshleyMic
March 15th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Good Morning Everyone
okay I understand that not everyone is a dog person, well actually I dont really understand it but thats besides the point. I had some people over for dinner last night and two of them kept referring to Dale as 'The Dog' and I kept telling them "his name is Dale, do you want me to call you the human?" Anyway everytime poor Dale went over to try and say hello to them (he wasn't being jumpy or anything) they wouldn't even pet him. If someone is afraid of dogs thats fine but these two were just being snobby. Oh and then we were sitting on the couch and usually Dale has his reserved spot on the sofa but since all the spots were taken he just jumped up on my lap and curled up. Then they tell me he is spoiled and at one point they even called him stupid. I was quite upset as Dale was being so sweet and good and they had no reason to be put off my him. As I said I do know some people just dont like dogs but seriously whats wrong with these people???
Dale's Mom

BMDLuver
March 15th, 2006, 10:19 AM
and these people that came over are friends? I think I would put a big black mark against their names.

Rick C
March 15th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I accept the fact not everyone wants to know Abby and Keeper so I'm concientious about having them on leash and having them, as another example, step aside on trails and what not . . . . if someone wants to know them, they can come over and say hi.

However, if people agree to come over to my place then its home field advantage for Abby and Keeper. They're part of the furniture. Get used to it or get lost.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 15th, 2006, 10:44 AM
I can respect someone being afraid of dogs and not wanting to pet them. But if someone called my dog stupid or spoiled then that would be unacceptable. :mad: :D

jawert1
March 15th, 2006, 11:37 AM
I don't think I'd be extending an invite to those folks ever again. Given they came to your house as guests, then made you feel awful in your own home, they aren't the type of ppl to be associated with. I'm sorry you had such a rough go of it, give Dale tons of hugs from all of us and know that he and you are much appreciated and welcome here :)

mom_to_many
March 15th, 2006, 11:45 AM
However, if people agree to come over to my place then its home field advantage for Abby and Keeper. They're part of the furniture. Get used to it or get lost.

Amen Rick!

Skryker
March 15th, 2006, 12:30 PM
I don't think I'd be extending an invite to those folks ever again. Given they came to your house as guests, then made you feel awful in your own home, they aren't the type of ppl to be associated with. I'm sorry you had such a rough go of it, give Dale tons of hugs from all of us and know that he and you are much appreciated and welcome here :)

Hear, hear!! Why would your friends make you uncomfortable in your home? Just saying "I don't really like dogs." would have been enough. No need to insult you and Dale like that. :grouphug: for you and Dale.

AshleyMic
March 15th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Hi everyone
Thanks for all the supportive posts
Unfortunately these people were family members and you know the saying 'you can pick your friends but ya cant pick your family'
In the future when we get together it will have to be at someone elses house as I refuse to let Dale be treated with anything but respect and love. Seriously Dale was being so good and I as his mom was so proud of his behavior. They really dont understand that Dale is my baby and my home is his home. That means he can go wherever he wants, sit wherever he wants and sleep wherever he wants. I freely admit that I spoil him but he is so wonderful, he definitely deserves it. Dale brings me so much happiness and to be honest I would much rather spend time with him then with 95% of the people I know.
Dale's Proud Mom

100%doglover
March 15th, 2006, 01:31 PM
People know that the best way to offend me is by criticizing my dog! Call me fat or anything else all you want, but don't you dare say anything bad about my dog!

technodoll
March 15th, 2006, 01:41 PM
you know, if i get invited to friend's or families' houses and i can't stand their kids or home atmosphere, i find a way to either decline or reschedule a get-together somewhere else sans kids. i don't understand people who put themselves through that? i mean life is too short!

same thing reversed. my dogs are part of the family and live in my home - guests do not. they're not welcome in OUR home if they don't like the way we live, period. we can always meet in a restaurant or in their home, sans dogs, to have a good time :)

jesse's mommy
March 15th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Hi everyone
Thanks for all the supportive posts
Unfortunately these people were family members and you know the saying 'you can pick your friends but ya cant pick your family'

Then I must be a really bad person because I look at it as hey you are family, I can tell you the truth and no matter what, we are family and you still have to love me and I have to love you whether we want to or not. Kind of the saying, I love you, but I don't necessarily like you all the time. :D If they don't like it, tough! I tell them this is my home, this is what to expect, if you don't like it, then don't come over!

Hmmm, I was just thinking, maybe this is why I'm the black sheep of the family. :o

BernerLver
March 15th, 2006, 03:23 PM
They're part of the furniture. Get used to it or get lost.

:highfive: Ditto!

I don't mind keeping my guys off the furniture when guests come over or keeping them away from the table during dinner but they will be around and they will most assuredly want to visit with you so if you're not ok with that then you may not want to come for a visit at our house.

I'm lucky that most of our friends and family love our guys and chastise me when I attempt to get the boys to stop harassing them for rubs, pats etc. :D

chico2
March 15th, 2006, 05:37 PM
It's very simple really,my cats are family-members,my home is their home,if you really do not like cats,or leaving my house with a hairy butt,we'll meet elsewhere:D

Prin
March 15th, 2006, 06:11 PM
"his name is Dale, do you want me to call you the human?" That was great.:D I refer to my doggies as my babies and this is their home. I refuse to lock them in a room when we have visitors and yes, they might have to go out in the middle of the visit too. So? How come the guests are allowed a pee or two but the dogs aren't?

Anybody remember the sign about the dog lives here and you don't or something? Crap, I can't remember it at all.

Skryker
March 15th, 2006, 06:13 PM
It's very simple really,my cats are family-members,my home is their home,if you really do not like cats,or leaving my house with a hairy butt,we'll meet elsewhere:D

:D Love me, love my hairy butt?;)

doggy lover
March 15th, 2006, 08:27 PM
One day at work I was talking about taking Tucker on the TTC and a co-worker commented that she wouldn't get on a bus that a dog was on. I said well I hope you never get on the bus with me when I have Tucker on it as I guess you would be waiting for the next bus as I wouldn't be getting off. She didn't like that to much, why would I get off Tucker doesn't bother anyone on the bus he just sits between my legs on the floor.

Another time someone knocked on my door and said ohh I'm scared of your dog, I said the dog lives here if you don't like it don't knock on my door. Whats wrong with some people??????

Shaykeija
March 16th, 2006, 12:53 AM
I hope the door really slammed them in the @ss on the way out!:evil:

ZebbyZeb
March 16th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Anybody remember the sign about the dog lives here and you don't or something? Crap, I can't remember it at all.

Is this what you meant?

Notice to People who Visit Our Home

1. The dogs live here.....you don't.

2. If you don't want dog hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture.

3. Yes, they have some disgusting habits. So do I and so do you. What's your point???

4. OF COURSE they smell like dogs!

5. It's their nature to try and sniff your crotch. Please feel free to sniff theirs.

6. We like them a lot better than we like most people.

7. To you they are just dogs. To us they are our adopted children, who are short, hairy, walk on all fours, don't speak clearly and sniff each other's butts. We have no problem with any of these things.

8. Dogs can be better than kids: they eat less, don't ask for money all the time, are easier to train, usually come when called, never drive the car, don't hang out with drug using friends, don't smoke or drink, don't worry about whether they have the latest fashions and don't need a gazillion dollars for
college.

I have a copy of this hanging at home and at work. I guess it could use a little updating, we could add to number 8 easy enough.... Dogs don't need a cell phone or iPod, either.

Prin
March 16th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Exactly! Thanks Zeb for posting it.:)

meb999
March 16th, 2006, 09:09 AM
oh man! I hate it when non-dog people come over -- they always make me feel bad about the way I spoil my huney!!
I love the little 'dogs live here you don't' thingy --- I'm printing it up and posting it on my front door!!

AshleyMic
March 16th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Hi All
I thought of a good number 9 to add to the list
9. We love our dog very much and while you may not, we ask that you treat him with respect while you are in HIS home.
I am going to print the list out and put it right on my front door:)

Writing4Fun
March 16th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Another time someone knocked on my door and said ohh I'm scared of your dog, I said the dog lives here if you don't like it don't knock on my door. Whats wrong with some people??????
That's usually when I smile serenely and say, "Oh, really?" while opening the door just a crack wider. :angel: I hate door-to-door solicitors. I actually have a "No Soliciting" sign on my door. If you want to ignore it, you'll have to accept the consequences. But they usually have more to fear from me than from my dog. :evil:

Skryker
March 16th, 2006, 12:36 PM
The Doberman we have when I was a kid used to sleep up against the front screen storm door. You'd be surprised how many people forget what they are trying to sell you when they ring the door bell and a barking Dobe rises up in front of them and swats the latch to open the door to let them in...she lived for that moment!;)

joeysmama
March 16th, 2006, 02:47 PM
That's funny about the Dobie trying to let them in !!

I love the list--especially "feel free to sniff theirs". Made me laugh out loud !!