Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My foster kittens

theplainsjane
March 15th, 2006, 06:01 AM
I just wanted to show off my foster babies when they were one day old. I am a small rescue in a rural Virginia county. I had gone to the pound to save two long haired fluffy babies, but they got adopted about ten minutes before I got there. It must have been providence, because the shelter asked if there was ANY way I could help a pregnant mama cat who was ready to give birth any minute. Of course I couldn't resist (although it took her two more weeks to give birth, in which time I dreamed she gave birth to one orange kitten and seven blue brindle pit bull puppies!!)

She is a stunning, shiny black cat whom I've named Velvet. Her babies are now known as the Velveteens. There are five, three black boys and two tortoiseshell girls. I think they are all going to be long haired. These pictures are from when they were one day old. They are going to be two weeks old tomorrow and their eyes are open. They are starting to be aware of their surroundings and will arch their backs against my finger when I pet them. They're adorable. Can't wait to find them their forever homes!

http://www.geocities.com/odessarescue/velveteens

mom_to_many
March 15th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Well I'm sure glad your dream didn't come true! lol Your new family is just precious. And kudos to you for bringing a pregnant mom home!!

theplainsjane
March 15th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Well, it's yet to be seen! There is a very gorgeous pit bull at the shelter now who will be giving birth there, probably some time today. I am upset, because her "time isn't up," so I can't get her into foster care (I have a foster home waiting, though--FOUR more days!!). She will have to give birth at the pound and for that I'm sorry, but they are doing their best for her and she has a nice soft bed and "nest." It's the best we can do. I wish I could just steal her, LOL. The idiots who "owned" her moved to another state and left her chained in their backyard. We are just biding our time until we can get sweet Jazz out of the shelter. I have a friend who does a wonderful job of placing pits and mixes, so when the puppies are old enough, they will probably already have forever homes waiting for them. Please cross your fingers and I will keep posting pictures of all of our babies!

I attached a picture of Jazz, the mama dog. Beautiful girl!

mom_to_many
March 15th, 2006, 06:42 AM
OK, that explains the dream! Whew! I wish Jazz and you the best. It sounds like the "pound" actually cares for their guests, and I can't wait to see Jazz's pups!! Lets see if your dream does come true ;)

chico2
March 15th, 2006, 08:01 AM
You are doing great,thank's for taking care of mama and the kittens..please keep posting pics as they grow and also of the beautiful pittie-mom.
She's very lucky not to live here in Ontario,where her pups would be destroyed:sad:

Lucky Rescue
March 15th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Awww, the Velveteens are too precious, but my heart belongs to Jazz!!

Too bad she couldn't have been spayed/aborted. Way too many pit bulls around, but it's nice there is someone who can get them responsible homes.:thumbs up

theplainsjane
March 15th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Lucky, don't we ALL know it! No way to get her out and get her spayed/aborted. I would have had Velvet aborted, but I really thought she was much closer to delivering than she was.

Miss Jazz will be safe and adopted out through my friend's pit bull rescue. Check it out: http://www.ringdogrescue.org

I have new pictures of the Velveteens--will try to get them posted ASAP. Thank you everybody, for looking at my babies!

Prin
March 15th, 2006, 10:11 PM
They're so tiny!! :love: I hope everybody has a great life- they have a better chance at it anyway with you and your friend around to help.

CyberKitten
March 15th, 2006, 10:43 PM
They are beautiful kittens and bravo to you for caring for them and their mama!!! Thx for the pix- looking at kittens just makes me smile!!! How can it not?? They're adorable!!!

theplainsjane
March 27th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Well, no updates on the kittens, except that they are adorable and will NOT stay in their little kitty bed. The fun is just beginning!

Jazz DID manage to wait five more days to get home with Dana to have her babies. And boy, did she ever have babies. We wondered when she would stop. The grand total is TEN petite pitties.

:pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint:

I can not wait to get pictures of them (I can't go visit--had parvo at my house about two months back and visiting babies that teeny squicks me out) and show them off here. My friend will list them through her rescue group, http://www.ringdogrescue.org and we expect that they will all have applications by the time they are spayed and neutered and ready to go! Mama Jazz is such a sweetie--she may end up with MY mother being her forever mama. I guess that makes us sisters, lol. Gorgeous girl--no idea yet what mix the pups might be, but I will keep everyone posted!

Lucky Rescue
March 27th, 2006, 06:55 PM
OH that's a pit bull rescue! They've got some very lovely dogs there. How I wish...

Can't wait for puppy pics!:)

I can crosspost this to some pit bull forums I belong to.

theplainsjane
March 28th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Lucky,

My friend who runs it is an Animal Control Officer for the city of Richmond and she is AWESOME. She has adopted out--I want to say 74? More than 70 pit bulls in the last 5 years. Only one has been returned. She does not hesitate to euthanize the ones that she feels are a danger to themselves or to others, but if they are ambassadors of the breed, she is head over heels to get them into safe, loving homes. She works her :pawprint: off for those dogs. I consider myself lucky to know her and have her on my side.

I should have pictures soon, of my kittens and my pittens, so will post them for everybody to enjoy!

chico2
March 28th, 2006, 01:09 PM
It's great to here good things about pitts and all the people who love them and I am soooo looking forward to pittie-pup pics:love: