Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Consequences of stool in fur

fawnling
March 15th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Hello! :D My cat has always had problems with her bottom and stool getting matted in her fur. We trim her bottom, toss her in the shower (which she does really well with) and try very hard to keep her diet fairly regular. However, despite our efforts (and for a while we were having her completely shaved by the vet) the stuff still sticks to her hind end!

My concern is that since the anus is so close to her girl bits, germs / feces may get into her vagina. I don't know if it's possible or likely, but it's a huge concern of mine. I've been hesitant to bathe her for fear that the dirty water will do just as much damage if it gets back inside of her.

Has anyone's long haired cat/dog ever suffered an infection of their private bits because of bathing out tangled feces?

I'm so sorry for this being so gross. I don't really know how to word it non offensively.

Prin
March 15th, 2006, 03:19 AM
Any bacteria that make their way into the urethra will most likely cause a urinary tract infection or bladder infection. It's definitely something to watch out for.

jawert1
March 15th, 2006, 07:59 AM
As hideous as it might look, you may want to simply keep the fur on her back end trimmed neatly (not necessarily fully shaved) so it's not as long and in the way. My friend's kitty growing up was a long haired persian, and they had to do the same with her. Wasn't the most attractive thing, but kept the uti's at bay.

chico2
March 15th, 2006, 08:05 AM
I too have that problem with my Vinnie,but I bought some baby-wipes with aloe and clean him as soon as I notice he has a dirty bum,I have also trimmed his hair(very carefully:p )around that area.

wdawson
March 15th, 2006, 07:02 PM
we had that problem with our long hair kitty , we trimmed wiped ect. , look at his stool and make suer its not too runny(thats what our kittys was) we also lowered the litter level so when he did his business he could perch a little higher on the side of the box (seems to have worked for us ) no problem in 6 months.