Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Slip ups in the house -- 7 months old

joeysmama
March 14th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Our little shih tzu, Cooper, is 7 months old and is usually pretty good about going outside. Every once in a while we'll see the occasional spot on the hardwood that lets us know that he slipped off and did a piddle without us noticing. When he does this it's in the foyer or living room where we don't spend a lot of time, so it's unnoticed. And he's never out of our sight for very long so he must slip off and do it quickly.

We're pretty diligent about getting him outside and he will sit by the door to tell us when he has to go, and we take him out whenever he does that and praise him for it.

Sometimes he will make a poop in the evening and eat it. :eek: We really hate that !!!

I was just thinking today how great it's been lately and how he hasn't had a slip up in weeks and, wouldn't you know it, he piddled in the house tonight. :rolleyes:

Is this a bad sign at this age? I had really hoped we were well past this sort of thing. Also my husband shook a can of nails at him which I think was just mean since we didn't catch him in the act. I don't think he had any clue why the daddy was scaring him. So hubby got a lecture on how dogs think. (FYI--he's not a mean guy--he loves the dog a lot and worries about him if he's alone for the afternoon, he's just clueless about dog behavior and I'm doing all that I can to learn myself and in turn educate him.)

Okay--any potty training advice is appreciated. I know we need to be more diligent since these accidents usually occur when we bring him upstairs with us at the end of the night and we get distracted with the computer, flossing brushin, all the bedtime routine stuff.

jessi76
March 15th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Also my husband shook a can of nails at him which I think was just mean since we didn't catch him in the act. I don't think he had any clue why the daddy was scaring him.

I'm sure he didn't know why daddy was scaring him - but good for you for teaching your dh that this isn't the way to housetrain. :thumbs up

Okay--any potty training advice is appreciated. I know we need to be more diligent since these accidents usually occur when we bring him upstairs with us at the end of the night and we get distracted with the computer, flossing brushin, all the bedtime routine stuff.

I honestly think some dogs just learn faster than others - but they do all LEARN. my mom's dog was completely housebroken when she was 3 mths old. My dog still had accidents at 5mths old. they're all different.

Do you do the normal stuff, such as limiting water after a certain hour, go out right before bed (maybe even a short walk? I've noticed walking helps my guy move things through his system... aka: a poop walk). Also, I'd shut doors or use baby gates to keep him in the same room as you - so he can't sneak off and piddle. heck, keep him in the bathroom w/ you while you brush/floss - at least you can watch him that way.

If you bring him upstairs and then go about your nightly routines, maybe you could crate him? If he can't be watched, and he's not trusted to not have accidents, then I'd use a crate.

I get distracted w/ the computer also, I work at home alot in the evenings, however, when I'm on the computer, that means my bf is on puppy-duty. So one of us is always paying attention.

stay on top of it now, put in that extra effort, so these accidents don't become "habit".

joeysmama
March 15th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Jessi, thank you for the advice. We do give him a walk at the end of the night but I haven't been limiting the water. I'm going to start doing that. And I appreciate what you said about not letting the slip ups become a habit. That makes a lot of sense so we won't take our eyes off him in the evening.

Our floor plan and doorways make it difficult to gate him completely so I'll pop him in the crate if I'm going to be moving from room to room and not able to watch him. He does like his crate so it won't be a hardship on him to spend a few minutes in there while we do our nightly routines.

Thanks for the advice !:)

domesticzookeep
March 15th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Do you go outside with him for washroom breaks?

One of my recent fosters was great in the house, no accidents in the first month - so when she did have an accident, I wondered what had happened....then it happened again - 15 minutes after I had just let her in! :evil:

So, I watched her from another window - both accidents occured during or right after really heavy rain storms - and since the previous foster had dug a few holes around the backyard - my yard was one big mud puddle - that she didn't want to go on. Instead, she sat huddled by the door (when it was raining), and when I had returned, I figured 'oh, she must be ready to come in', w/out knowing she had NOT gone to the washroom!

From then on, when it was raining or really muddy, I either went out in the yard w/ her, or walked her down to the park (in the rain) - where the grass was more to her liking:evil: No accidents since!

Soooo...if you're not going out w/ her - keep an eye - maybe she's just not going, when you think she has...

C.

Prin
March 15th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Boo does that too. He fakes it because I give him a cookie when he comes in... Luckily Boo's got a 10 L bladder... :D Well, sometimes unluckily..:eek:

Shaykeija
March 16th, 2006, 12:11 AM
We put pee pads down for that very reason. Sophie my Shih Tzu is like a little camel. She hates getting her feet wet. No biggie so she pees on a pad once in a while. She gets 4 walkies a day so she doesnt pee in the house that much.:p

Soroush
March 16th, 2006, 01:04 AM
LOL! Lucy(my Shih-poo) is in the same boat, but there's one very fancy feature she has and that is the "Guilt Face" she puts on after she has peed or pooped at home!

I feel bad putting her in her crate when I'm working on the computer for 2-3 hours so I let her play around, and this is just me asking for accidents! She knows that she can't do it around me so she goes to a corner, quiety and full of guilt does it! I know it's ultimately my fault, but oh well sh** happens!

I've also noticed the wet-grass thing. she doesn't like it. when she's on wet grass or ground she looks at me as if I'm the biggest idiot for making her walk on it!

What's the most effective way to make her go by the door and make a noise or bark whenever she's feeling uncomfortable? Does it come with time? She's taken outside 4-5 times a day and she does prefer to do her business outside. I do praise her whenever she does it outside and she loves her walks. I was just wondering why she doesn't show any signs of being interested in going out by making a noise or waiting at the door.

jessi76
March 16th, 2006, 08:57 AM
I feel bad putting her in her crate when I'm working on the computer for 2-3 hours so I let her play around, and this is just me asking for accidents! She knows that she can't do it around me so she goes to a corner, quiety and full of guilt does it! I know it's ultimately my fault, but oh well sh** happens!

hee hee... sh-- doesn't have to happen... if you feel bad crating her while you're on the computer, you could put her on leash, and clip it to your belt. this way she's with you - able to play at your feet - but can't sneak off to a corner and do "the deed".

I've also noticed the wet-grass thing. she doesn't like it. when she's on wet grass or ground she looks at me as if I'm the biggest idiot for making her walk on it!

my dog hates the rain, but ya know what? too bad. poop & pee goes outside...no if's, and's or but's about it. outside! my dog tried to give me the "are you crazy?" look when I'd take him out in the rain to go... I just made it fun - woooo! let's go out to pee! yayyy! rain is fun!... and when he did, he got praised like crazy. he now knows he will have to endure the rain, wind, cold, and even wet grass, because there is no other choice - he potty's OUTSIDE.

What's the most effective way to make her go by the door and make a noise or bark whenever she's feeling uncomfortable? Does it come with time?

you need to watch her like a hawk - if she goes near the door, you should encourage it. I found using the same door each time helped. My dog (around 5-6mths) finally went to the door, looked at it, looked at me, and I knew that was his first signal...so I encouraged it, GOOD BOY! do you need to go out? (he'd look at the door again) GOOD BOY! LET'S GO!

Soroush
March 16th, 2006, 09:32 AM
hee hee... sh-- doesn't have to happen... if you feel bad crating her while you're on the computer, you could put her on leash, and clip it to your belt. this way she's with you - able to play at your feet - but can't sneak off to a corner and do "the deed".

my dog hates the rain, but ya know what? too bad. poop & pee goes outside...no if's, and's or but's about it. outside! my dog tried to give me the "are you crazy?" look when I'd take him out in the rain to go... I just made it fun - woooo! let's go out to pee! yayyy! rain is fun!... and when he did, he got praised like crazy. he now knows he will have to endure the rain, wind, cold, and even wet grass, because there is no other choice - he potty's OUTSIDE.

you need to watch her like a hawk - if she goes near the door, you should encourage it. I found using the same door each time helped. My dog (around 5-6mths) finally went to the door, looked at it, looked at me, and I knew that was his first signal...so I encouraged it, GOOD BOY! do you need to go out? (he'd look at the door again) GOOD BOY! LET'S GO!

Thanks a lot for the reply. I'll try that. I think I should show more enthusiasm when I talk to Lucy. The problem is I'm in a busy neighbourhood and whenever I take her out there's people around! I'm already known as the clown after the first 2 weeks of having the dog! The other day this women tells me "seems like you'd enjoy life more if you were a dog yourself!"

LOL!! she was just joking but serious too!

joeysmama
March 16th, 2006, 01:38 PM
sh-- doesn't have to happen...

I love that !! I'm going to make it my new motto !!:)

Cooper DOES sit by the door most of the time when he has to go out, and during the day he seems to have more capacity to hold it than at night for some reason--but that might be because he's not a morning person or "morning dog"--he he! He's not particularly active until the afternoon. So I think during his laid back mornings he's not visiting his water bowl all that much.

We always go out with him but I don't think he would fake it anyway since he lives for the outdoors. He doesn't mind the cold at all, windy doesn't bother him and snow is just doggie heaven. Wet ground is fine by him too. If it's actually raining WHILE he's out there he will hurry up and do his job and not linger too much.

I really WISH he had a guilty look but he has only his pitiful puppy face. (his coloring is a dark mask around his eyes which makes him look mournful) or his happy happy happy, goofy, tongue out, "ain't life grand?" face. :crazy:

I'm going to do the leash thing in the evening now so that we don't make indoor potties a habit.