Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

You know you're truly a dog owner when....

domesticzookeep
March 14th, 2006, 11:17 PM
My silly story for the day....

I had to stop by to pick something up from one of my 'clients' today and was wearing my 'personal' jacket (we have work issued coats). Anyways, my keys had become tangled in one of my gloves, and when I went to pull them out, I had a couple of dog cookies come flying out of my pocket (also apparently caught in the gloves...).... Never a better way to present that 'professional image' than to have pockets full of dog cookies! I'm a provincial officer - so nothin' says 'I'm serious, you have to do what I'm telling you' like shaking a few Old Mother Hubard's bacon n' cheese at them... :rolleyes:
Luckily that client is also a 'dog person' - so we had a good laugh....

Anyways, thought it would be a fun thread to start, a
"You know you're a dog owner when..... u have a pocket full of dog cookies - and you're not walking a dog.....

...so...."You know you're a dog owner when......"

C.
:ca:

joeysmama
March 14th, 2006, 11:31 PM
.......your husband says that your own babies were cuter than the dog but the dog is cuter than other peoples children.

.......you keep getting in trouble with the husband for buying the dog new toys.

.......your mother asks for pictures of the dog to show her friends.

NaNa8
March 14th, 2006, 11:35 PM
your kids accuse you of having more toys for the dog than you ever bought for them

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 15th, 2006, 12:34 AM
my husband says I kiss Joey more than him. :D

my coat, purse, car always have dog parphelnia, plastic bags, dog toys, a leash

You spend an hour in the doggie clothing section at walmart and then take two minutes to pick out a shirt for yourself.

Prin
March 15th, 2006, 01:18 AM
... you spend more time researching doggy stuff than doing actual work.
... you don't care if there's hair in your food (if you take it out, you'll just put more in)
... you walk up to your man every now and then, scruff up his hair and tell him he's a good boy.
... you never go to the bathroom alone at home.
... your coffee table is high enough to avoid doggy tail whips.
... the fur to dust ratio on the floor is about 100:1
... all your sheets are bought to coordinate with the color of the fur...

ok, that's it for now.. :o

jawert1
March 15th, 2006, 09:16 AM
--- dog hair becomes a fashion statement
--- you carry poop pick up bags in every pocket of every coat and sweatshirt
--- you call your vet when something seems *off* but won't call the dr when you're running a 104 fever
--- the most meaningful conversation you have coming home at night is "who's mommy's lil foofer!" (ok that last one just applies to me :p)

AliSam
March 15th, 2006, 09:46 AM
....your grocery cart has more flavours of doggy food, treats and snacks then human food.

jjgeonerd
March 15th, 2006, 11:41 AM
...you have to change the sheets on the guest bed for visitors because they're covered in dog hair!

jessi76
March 15th, 2006, 12:23 PM
You know you're a dog owner when......

.... you save $ by eating franks & beans so your dog can get premium food.
.... POOP is a whole conversation (last time he went? how long ago? normal? runny? etc..)
.... you miss your favorite tv shows because that's the time the training class is.
.... you bake more cookies for the dog than you do for your family.
.... you start to click & reward your friends
.... your couch has a slipcover and 6 blanets draped over it (and you now forget what the actual couch looks like)
.... your keyhook has no room to hang keys on it beacuse it's full of leashes, harnesses, collars, flexi-leads, flashlights and baggies.
.... your kitchen table is actually a dog crate w/ a piece of plywood on top.
.... you run to the store for a few cans of dog food, and come out w/ $100 worth of toys/treats/hygene products/chew things/bones/and the canned food.
.... you have the pet-store member card ON your keychain.
.... you have more emergency vet numbers in your cell phone than friends.

Skryker
March 15th, 2006, 12:37 PM
...the dog food is holistic and the people food is whatever's cheapest.
...it takes 2 people and 4 trips to bring in all the dog stuff to the dog sitter's house.
...you spend a half hour reading labels on dog treats and comparing to make sure you're buying the best.
...you tell your kid not to eat the dog's yogurt (she has her own, too!;) ).
...you really want a banana but you give the last one to the dogs.

Gazoo
March 15th, 2006, 07:36 PM

its 2 in the morning and you sit bolt upright and run for the door when you hear that weird dog puking sound that they make

jawert1
March 15th, 2006, 07:37 PM
.... your couch has a slipcover and 6 blanets draped over it (and you now forget what the actual couch looks like)
friends.

AND you have matching everything to go with whatever slipcover/blanket combo is on that week

Prin
March 15th, 2006, 07:40 PM

its 2 in the morning and you sit bolt upright and run for the door when you hear that weird dog puking sound that they make
Oh yeah! That's me. Run for the newspapers.

Cricket
March 15th, 2006, 08:06 PM
... you give your b/f a father's day card from the dog
... the dog has his own back pack for when you take off for the weekend
... if the dog doesn't like your perfume you find that you never wear it again
... the dog's bed - is a pillow top queen

doggy lover
March 15th, 2006, 08:09 PM
These are so true, Gazoo I normaly get the cats doing that. I always have tonns of poopy bags in my pockets. I also carry a small back to the park with all Tucker's stuff and treats in.

domesticzookeep
March 15th, 2006, 08:38 PM
.....you've decided which are the "perfect" dog poop bags....and give those 'specifications' to family members to save for you.....

....'couch covers', spending more $ on dog food than MY food, acceptance of dog hair......ahhhh....you guys make me feel 'normal'.....:D

doggy lover
March 15th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Hey I'll go one further, I get my Mum to bring back scented dog poop bags (really baby diaper bags) from England, my dogs not a snob.

jesse's mommy
March 15th, 2006, 08:54 PM
When you buy a bigger bed to accomodate your dog...

wdawson
March 15th, 2006, 09:19 PM
when the pet store calls you too say they have new toys in stock.
when you design and build custom doggy seats for your mini van.

Prin
March 15th, 2006, 10:18 PM
... when you're tempted to eat your dog's food just to be sure it's tasty...
... when you have to "rollie" your bra before you put it on in the morning (the hair is like splinters!!) or rollie your pillow before going to bed and it's just routine.
... when you can walk around with a full poopie bag, all proud because you know you're not contributing to the problem...
... you can grab the eye goobs without even a kleenex... (I'm only halfway there)

domesticzookeep
March 15th, 2006, 10:28 PM
.....u sweep the carpet before you vacuum - b/c u haven't vacuumed in the past 24-48 hrs....

.....u are now an expert at taking the vacuum apart to remove pet hair clogged hoses.....

wdawson
March 15th, 2006, 10:53 PM
prin

my 14 year old daughter has a part time job as a eye goo collector........bare handed:eek:

Prin
March 15th, 2006, 10:57 PM
prin

my 14 year old daughter has a part time job as a eye goo collector........bare handed:eek:
lol what a brave girl!!! :eek: :crazy:

Byrd
March 15th, 2006, 11:36 PM
... You drive 60 km for Flyball practice because SHE likes it.
... You could feed the homeless with the amount of dog cookies in your coat pocket.
... You will miss and worry about your dog more than family while on vacation.
... You put dog treats in your mouth because there is no where else to hold them while training or showing.
and most importantly.... you hug, pet, and even stoop so far as kissing your dog on the mouth the whole time telling them how much you love them.

Shaykeija
March 16th, 2006, 01:31 AM
when you fur baby has a mild case of dry coat...Conditioner for you $4.99....Conditioner for the fur kid $29.99 and it smells better than the stuff you use.:p

mummummum
March 16th, 2006, 01:46 AM
:pawprint: your dawgs have their own dresser, their own bathroom shelf, their own cubby in the closet
:pawprint: you bought a new couch because the new dawgie kept falling off the other one
:pawprint: you used to wear only natural fibres but now only buy clothes that dawg hair doesn't stick to (polyester: yum-yum)
:pawprint: your dawgs get better birthday cards and presents from the relatives than you do and you're pleased as punch about it
::pawprint: you can't have a conversation with a girlfriend without mentioning the latest in dawg antics, dawg-poop/barf story, showing off dawg pictures
:pawprint: when your friends are talking about their bratty two year old child's behaviour you chime in with one of your lil' charmer's bad tricks
:pawprint: when your significant other proudly discusses his bodily functions you tell him in no uncertain terms he is a classless, uncouth pig and you don't wish to hear anymore on the matter but think nothing of going on at length about the odour, shape, texture, consistency and colour of your respective dawgies poop with a near stranger in the dawg park
:pawprint: you're sitting here at twenty to two in the morning reading pets.ca cause you absolutely have to bake dawgie treats !!!!

doggy lover
March 16th, 2006, 08:50 AM
:pawprint: Your hubby's excuse to buy a $50,000 truck is because the back seat folds down into a floor and you can make a doggy bed out of it.

AliSam
March 16th, 2006, 10:59 AM
...you have to change the sheets on the guest bed for visitors because they're covered in dog hair!

I forgot about that one. That's me too.

technodoll
March 16th, 2006, 11:10 AM
...when the dogs have as many, if not more, christmas presents under the tree than the humans do! :D

Skryker
March 16th, 2006, 12:28 PM
...when you have to empty your pockets of all the "treasures" found on a walk.
...when instead of "Eww, gross!", your reaction is a gleeful "Got it!" as you remove unimaginably gross stuff from your dog's mouth (like used chewing gum, cigarette butts or :eek: a dead moouse:eek: !).
...when you read this thread and smile and nod instead of wondering who these lunatics are!!!!!;)

Byrd
March 16th, 2006, 03:46 PM
You keep a fold down kennel in your trunk "just in case".
You move over in bed so that your dog can snuggle in with you, or try not to move as to not disturb them.
You call in to work sick because your dog is ill and you need to watch them. :sick: (yes, I have done this)

wdawson
March 16th, 2006, 06:19 PM
one more

when one of the first 4 ingredients in your dinner is dog hair:yuck:

Frenchy
March 16th, 2006, 06:51 PM
All of the above!!And when you buy a bigger car to accomodate the third furkidd you just adopted (was supposed to foster but...) when the dogs go get groom more than you,When you can't sleep because not enough room in the bed but would not even think of "asking" them to move,when people you know ask you almost everyday;so,how are the dogs?

twodogsandacat
March 16th, 2006, 07:19 PM
... when you're tempted to eat your dog's food just to be sure it's tasty...

or because it's healthier, more appetizing and cost more than the meal you just ate.

When you crush two glucosamine caps into your dogs food and you are the one with achy bones.

Frenchy
March 16th, 2006, 09:16 PM
twodogsandacat;so right about the glucosamine!!And I tough I was the only one!

domesticzookeep
March 16th, 2006, 09:21 PM
....you not only know what a Kong is, but have 50 recipes on how to fill different each day, so your dog won't get 'bored' of the same flavour....and yet u can only make 3 variations of a stir fry....

C.
:ca:

Prin
March 16th, 2006, 09:34 PM
.... the phone rings and rings and rings and you don't get out of bed to answer it but you hear your dog drinking out of an empty water bowl and jump to your feet.

... more than half your weekly laundry is dog beds and dog towels...

... you feel guilty when you eat toast and don't save a little crust for the doggy...

... your dream bathroom has a big old chain drilled into the wall tile, just to make doggy bath time a little easier.:D

Frenchy
March 17th, 2006, 12:34 PM
When you feel like putting an add;single white female,35 yr old looking for love,man in the animal medical field prefered.

Jackie467
March 17th, 2006, 01:11 PM
when you take your dog to work with you everyday.

you don't take them on some days because they didn't want to get out of bed and you then spend your lunch hour going home with no time to eat lunch just because you wanted to see if they were ready to go to work by then.

When you don't take your dog to work all your co-workers are extremely worried that something is wrong and offer to take over your shift so you can stay with you doggy if they aren't feeling well.

(all these I have done and had said to me)

Prin
March 17th, 2006, 02:36 PM
When you feel like putting an add;single white female,35 yr old looking for love,man in the animal medical field prefered.
ooo that's a great idea!:)

OntarioGreys
March 18th, 2006, 10:01 PM
You have pictures of your dogs hanging on the wall instead of family.

You carry pictures of your dog(s) in your wallet

home furniture arranging and backyard landscaping is done with the dogs in mind.

you put on the a/c just for the dogs

You sign your dogs names to all the birthday/christmas etc cards and gifts you give out.

The most important social events are those that involve other dogs and owners.

We can totally forgive a doggy that errs and yet find it hard to forgive a person for example, your husband or boyfriend got drunk and in front of company and grabbed a pair of your undies and swung it around, he would be in deep, deep doo-do and in the dog house for quite sometime and would never ever, ever be allowed to live it down, but if the dog came out with a pair of dirty undies from the laundry, you would take a away and scold lightly and be laughing about it with friends a couple days later.

papillonmama
March 19th, 2006, 10:43 AM
...You're standing to write this post because the dog wanted to sit on the computer chair.:)

HunterXHunter
March 20th, 2006, 12:26 PM
... when you take one of your certifications out of it's frame off the wall so you can immediate frame and hang up your dogs obedience school certificate :thumbs up (this happened last week...)

domesticzookeep
March 20th, 2006, 06:13 PM
.....u can't understand why the sticky tape/lint rollers aren't the same size as a paint roller (or bigger!).....

....u have - and still wear a pair of shoes / gloves / hat / all of the above & then some....that have a chunck missing out of them b/c of the dog...

Prin
March 20th, 2006, 09:58 PM
....u have - and still wear a pair of shoes / gloves / hat / all of the above & then some....that have a chunck missing out of them b/c of the dog...
lol and because of the missing chunk, you call them your "lucky shoes / gloves / hat / all of the above".:D

glasslass
March 21st, 2006, 12:43 AM
All your old jeans have small holes on the bottom of the pantlegs from puppy teeth playing tug-of-war.

You go out to dinner and feel guilty eating the last bite.

You take home chunks of meat in a plastic bag in your purse so you won't feel guilty about leaving them home.

You have pictures of your dogs on your desk at work, but none of your husband. It's ok because your husband carries a pix of the dog in his wallet too.

When you have to go out of town and your husband holds the receiver up to the dog's ear when you call home so you can tell him he's a good boy.

Dog Mom
March 21st, 2006, 12:48 PM
LOL @ glasslass i had to stay @ the hospital over night, so I called the dog sitter not once but three times to check on them and say goodnite and that mommy and daddy will be home in the morning!!