- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 



November 25th, 2003, 07:48 PM
She is drinking water when I have here home and like doggie gator aide (rebound) when she is at the vets during the day. Tried baby food potatoes tonight and not any luck.

November 25th, 2003, 09:31 PM
When the attack started was your dog vomiting and having loose or runny stools?

My question is are they SURE it was pancreatitis??

Is your dog in pain? Did they give you any pain meds?

I got this from a site:

If the canned diet has been refrigerated, warm the food to, but not above, body temperature.
Hand feed the new diet for the first few days.
Mix the dry diet with a little warm water and wait ten minutes before serving. (Use this technique with the dog only.)
Over a seven to ten day period, mix the diet with your pet s former food, gradually increasing the proportion of Prescription Diet until only the new diet is being fed.
Add one to three tablespoons of homemade clear, unsalted chicken broth to the prescribed diet.

Get back and call the VET with an update for sure they should know what is going on !


November 27th, 2003, 05:35 PM
She just won't eat anything. All the tests indicate chronic pancreatitus. Vet will probable put in a feeding tube tomorrow. This seems so bad, maybe its time I say stop but vet still seems hopeful she will come out of this but I don't know. Thanks for your post.

November 27th, 2003, 06:03 PM
Okay my question is how was it diagnosed through only blood work?

I'm not a vet but I have the tendancy to be skeptical if there haven't been other tests done, in particular because my dog suffered for over a week with this diagnosis before I took him
to an emergency centre with specialists who agreed he needed an ultrasound because something else was goin on...and it was.

He had multiple tumours affecting his vital organs hence the elevated white cell count and the affected pancreatic enzyme levels.

Has your vet done any xrays or ultrasounds?

I know it can be expensive but if you do an ultrasound it may just give you the answer you are looking for...puppy gets a tummy shave and the u/s is done not a big deal but it tells A LOT !!

My dog supposidly had pancreatitis as well....'supposidly' is the key!!

Where do you live? Do you have an emergency referral centre for dogs and cats that is close to you? If so I'd say take pooch there, as they have the ability and skills, including specialists to make an accurate diagnosis and treatment.

I hope to hear some good news back from you, big hugs


November 29th, 2003, 03:03 PM
Yes Luba it was blood work and x-rays. Ultra sound is probably next. had a little luck with feeding baby food with a surenge, but went to fast this morning and she threw up so vet is keeping her til 5 today. I will feed slower and ask about ulta sound. i already probably owe a fortune so what's a litle more. how did your dog with the tumors come out? Thanks for the hugs. I need some right now!

November 29th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Hi Promod hugs all around
I know how unnerving it can be!

Funny still throwing up again huh! Well maybe the pancreas still needs time to rest. Perhaps another couple of days on IV
So sad, I bet the weight is coming off too. Don't worry though usually things turn out well with pancreatitis it just takes time.

Do you know what triggered the attack to begin with?

As for my pooch, the reason I suggested the u/s is to rule out other things. Unfortunately Rusty's situation was metastisized cancerous tumours that took over his adrenal gland, spleen, pancreas and was adjoined to the kidney and heart. It was not a good situation, during surgery the internalist called me from the O.R and told me how bad it was, the cancer had spread too far and was too far gone to do anything about...he would be in pain and would not live very long.

We made the most heartfelt and loving decision possible and that was to let him go to sleep without coming out of the anaestetic. It was such an awful time and I still miss him so very much, he was truly truly my best friend and companion for 16 years....he turned 16 in February and passed away in March.

HOWEVER back to your situation....please keep me posted and if you think the vet is 'dottling' on things go to a emerg/referral won't regret it!!

Here's those hugs again
((((( XXXX )))))


November 30th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Vet told me last nite he thinks Munch has a blockage, maybe tumor or who knows what and may need to have surguery Monday or Tuesday. Oh my!!! She is eating and keeping down the baby food if I give small frequent amounts. So sorry you lost your fried and baby of 16 yrs. Glad you were there, I may have to miss school to be there if Munchkin has to have her surgory. Will keep you posted. Thanks so much for your caring!!!! Hugs to you and yours. Trying to send a pic, hope it works!

November 30th, 2003, 01:41 PM
Sorry to hear about your little one. Vet said last nite we may need surgory Mon. due to a blockage. Could be tumor, bowel, or who knows!!! Am getting her to eat small amounts of baby food feed by hand every hour or so and no throw up. Will keep you posted. Thanks so much for your caring.

November 30th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Who is doing the surgery, your own vet?

Where do you live? Do you have a 24 hour emergency referral service ???

I'll pray and please keep me up to date, I am very supportive of your situation.

DID the vet do an ULTRASOUND??

My thoughts are DON'T let them do surgery before an ultrasound, the u/s helps them go right to what they're looking for!!!

I'm not a vet but I'm not dumb either....the u/s should be done first.

Okay she's eating a little but what about water intake?? Is the vet not concerned about her dehydrating? Is she on an IV?

Yes the picture did work and what a sweetie pie indeed!!


HUGS for U2

November 30th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Yes he will do his own surgory, no u/s yet. said if she is keeping food down, not sure about operation. trying new meds. I will ask about u/s before operation. Thanks for your support. Water intake is good, own her own and with my help. Keep up the prayers. God Bless.