Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Irresponsible Pet Parents

AshleyMic
March 14th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Okay here is my rant for the day
The other night I was walking Dale and once again I saw this dog running around the neighbourhood. No leash, no person with him, nothing. This has happened a few times with the same dog, his owners just let him out the front door and off he goes. I do not live in the country but in a high traffic area. What kind of parent would let their furbaby just go off on their own. There are so many bad things that could happen to this pup and his owners just dont seem to care. I protect Dale the way I would protect a human child, he is my baby and as his mom is it my responsibility to do everything I can to keep him safe. I just wish every pet owner took their responsibility seriously.

Lucky Rescue
March 14th, 2006, 11:40 AM
IF you know where this dog lives, please call AC or the police and report this.

Not only is this dog in danger, but it's against the law to let dogs run loose.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 14th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Thats terrible I used to know someone a few years back that would do that. Her unfixed purebred Samoyed dog would " go visiting around the neigbbourhood everyday, it used to make me so madd. It was just so like no big deal - I just let her out the front door and off she goes and she comes back in a few hours. Last I heard this person gave the dog away to a relative with an intact male dog and she was soon pregnant and having puppies.

jessi76
March 14th, 2006, 01:33 PM
I don't understand either, how you could just let your dog run loose...

actually, last night my bf thought he had a brilliant idea - to let our neighbor watch our dog a few days a week. I basically just said "over my dead body" stunned, he asked me why not...

this neighbor had 2 dogs, 1 was killed last year by a car on our road (tragically she was only about a year old at the time & running loose), and the other is never tied up (nor fenced in). she's a very nice dog (older and spayed) but wanders the neighborhood, and has been for YEARS. that's reason enough for me to not trust him w/ my dog, but to make it worse, this neighbor is older and in poor health. My dog isn't huge by any means, but just being 45lbs and pretty much all muscle, he can drag me down if he really tries.

needless to say, my bf quickly saw my point.

joeysmama
March 14th, 2006, 02:35 PM
I knew someone who had a medium sized dog and let it out loose to go potty--no leash, no one out there with her, and no fence. She was hit by a car and killed in front of their house, in front of kids.

Now they have a shih tzu and they also let this dog out for potty, no leash, no fence, no watchful eye.

I live on a cul de sac, and have a decent sized yard and I still go nuts if I see my husband let go of the leash when he's picking up poops.

mom_to_many
March 14th, 2006, 02:43 PM
This week we had a lab, beagle, big yellow mix, and a little white dog running loose. Not all together except for the lab and beagle, then the lab and the mix. All had collars..I did call the city as I could not get near one of them to get a tag #. If one of mine get loose, I am right behind them for as long as it takes.

Also other than being a hazard to the dogs who are let loose, I really worry about small children out playing. Some dogs do not understand the squeals and quick movements, and THAT can be dangerous!

AshleyMic
March 14th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Hi All
I think some people are just too lazy to take their dogs out for long and much deserved walks so they just let them run free. That is very irresponsible and I am sorry but just plain stupid. How would one of these people felt if something bad happened to their dog, its bad anough when a pet gets sick but to have them be hurt and be responsible for that injury would be awful. I never ever let Dale off his leash anywhere except our fenced in backyard. If I see this dog again I am going to try and find out where he lives and see if I can have a word with his owners. If that doesn't work I guess I will have to call AC:(
Dale's Mom

BernerLver
March 14th, 2006, 03:57 PM
This amazes me too but even in my new neighborhod with lots of construction vehicles speeding up and down the street, I see dogs allowed to run loose.

Yeah being in a new house without a fence can be a pain since even a pee break is more effort but that effort is worth it to make sure my guys are safe.

100%doglover
March 14th, 2006, 04:18 PM
This happens too often.... In our neighbourhood we had a shepherd that did this for years (haven't seen her for about a year now). We live in Toronto right beside a school. Now this dog was friendly, but come on, she can get hit by a car, scare kids and poop all over the park that's right next to the school and that's also used by the kids for sports activities. Really nice! I've stepped in so much poop it's not even funny.

I did manage to catch this dog when we first moved to the neighbourhood because I thought she had accidentally gotten away so I got the owners # of her tag..... I've done this with probably about 5 dogs in the past two years and really most owners aren't thankful that I take the time to do this and try to keep their dogs safe.

The worst part is that people have become so used to seeing dogs running around without owners that I doubt they'd stop if my dog ever managed to somehow get lost! :sad: I've never had it happen, thankfully, it would be scary as I doubt anyone would help my old lady!

t.pettet
March 14th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Before AC started working in this town people were criticized by their neighbours for letting their dogs wander during the day so they got really inventive and would let them out at night before they went to bed. The dogs had a good 8 hours of pooping on everyone's property, ransacking garbage, joining other dogs to chase cats and deer, fighting, mating and annoying the responsible owners' dogs who were confined in the house. People were being woken up by their own dogs growling at these midnight trespassers so AC started rounding them up at 1 or 2 a.m. If their dogs wern't lying on the front steps in the morning when kids were going off to school they finally clued in that they might be at the pound and had to pay to get them out. Within 3 mos. there was a very sharp decline in this bylaw infraction and only the occasional escapee is seen wandering around. For the irresponsible owners who wouldn't pay to get their dogs out of jail they lost their pets who were either re-homed or pts if too aggressive.

mom_to_many
March 15th, 2006, 06:05 AM
I wish our animal control would come out late. I can almost set my clock by the ones let out. 12-12:30 am and 2-3 am! Sleep? Who needs it?:mad: