Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Job rant

Bushfire2000
March 14th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I work at a very interesting, challenging and at times fun job.
Yesterday I was involved in a meeting that I normally would not be invited to. The topic was public relations and how to promote our image (which is really bad right now). Advertising and connected matters fall under the job description of my co-worker(and friend) who was not included in this meeting. After two hours, during which my input was not only welcomed but sought after, I have a new duty to perform.
What do you think this means? That they left out my friend whose job is related to this topic?

My bosses like me because I seldom if ever challenge them. I'm a walking jelly roll. It's a family run business. If you cross the wife even once you can be sure that, if they don't fire you, you'll get to do something very very unpleasant for a while.

So the job that I was best suited to, the wife decided she should do (collecting testimonials)she's a really bad choice for this job, as no one likes or talks to her, in fact she's one of the biggest reasons we have image problems. I'm wrong she's the best one for this job, because everyone will lie to her, because even though she has no manners most other people do.

The job she picked for me to do was writing letters and contacting people by phone for a special offer we are starting.
Thats O.K. I don't mind talking to people.
But I wrote a rough draft of the letter, and that's what it was, a rough draft. (I have training in business communications and received marks in the high nineties) And she's pulling it apart and wants to make it old and stale. Was she not at the same meeting I was? Improve the image !don't set it back to the eighteen nineties?
I'm ranting now!
I'm livid!
If you want to write the ###$%^@& letter then do it!
You are asking me to contact people out of the blue and ask for something for free. And while I'm at it insult them too. And then when it doesn't work it will be my fault!
If I am sending them a letter and arranging for this and then phoning them as a follow up. Then it should be my voice in the letter. Not the 90year old voice of a retired school teacher.

I lied it's not a fun job. It sucks and I don't get paid enough. I hate my boss and my bosses boss (his wife). I hate their children and grand children who think they are my boss. The son in law works in the office as well and makes rules that everyone but he has to follow.
I'm so tired of this job I've worked here for four years and not really made a cent.
Why am I here? I don't work set hours. I don't get paid on time. The staff relations are a joke. I don't get paid breaks, in fact sometimes I don't get any breaks. We travel hundreds of miles and work 14 hour days. They treat me like a slave. And to top it all off minimum wage has gone up so yay I got a raise and boo now I make minimum wage. I haven't worked for minimum wage ever. So why would I stay here I could get almost any job and make the same amount now. And with half the stress.

If you've read this far you're, right I've cracked under pressure.

Prin
March 14th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Quit! What the hey are you there for? You asked the questions, but you didn't answer them. Why are you still there? The world awaits! Life is an adventure.

jesse's mommy
March 14th, 2006, 02:52 PM
I think you should quit, you can get paid more at a part-time stress free job and end up getting paid the same amount. You definitely don't sound happy and it's not worth your health (if you are stressed, it does affect your health). They obviously don't care about your well-being, so why should you waste your loyalties on them? You need to worry about you! Nobody else will, so get up and quit! You can do it! Rah, Rah, Rah!!! OK, there's my pep talk!

Writing4Fun
March 14th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Agree! Family businesses can be some of the nastiest places to work. If you're not related, then you're guaranteed a spot at the bottom of the pecking order with no hope for advancement as long as the family members continue to procreate.

Get out. Now. The world is your oyster. Crack it open! :party: :D

Bushfire2000
March 14th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

I can't quit without a new job. But any incentive to stay is gone now. The job hunt begins with renewed hope. I could work at the local Co-op, if they were hiring and get more out of it.

I live in a rural area and job hunting tips would be apreciated.

Again Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
I'm not crazy and why should I stay.

SarahLynn123
March 15th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Job tips: How far from a city do you live and can you travel alot? We have land surveying companies in Saskatchewan so if you close you may get on as a secretary or job set-up or if you can travel alot and dont mind working outdoors try as a rodman. None of these jobs are minimum wage and all start with 3 weeks paid vacation a year! Check out any land surveying companies close to you, they are always short staffed.

Check out secretary work for offices and firms, there is more room for advancement then grocery stores but Id go to the grocery store until something better comes up.

Where ever you go drop off your resume by hand to the appropriate person then give them a couple days and call them. if they say they're not sure right now give them a week and call them back. Keep doing this for the jobs that are worth it.

SnowDancer
March 15th, 2006, 11:16 AM
I too worked for many years for head of family business that went public - but you would never know it from demands of family. Wife did not work in business but ruled the "office roost" from home - along with the kids and housekeeper. In addition to the very heavy office workload I had, I also ran the household - nanny etc. It was very tough - 6 1/2 days a week, forever on call - and yet - little money, major responsibility with no authority - hey, but I had "respect" - right. Funnily enough the wife was from Saskatchewan and the boss was raised in Calgary - I fully expect Rick_C would know exactly who I worked for in Toronto. I don't know what job prospects are like in Saskatchewan but I suspect not great - so many people seem to be moving to Calgary. Wish you the best of luck - try to hold on until you find something - but what can be really tough is if the family is well known because even though clients etc. of your company may feel you would make a wonderful addition to their respective companies and will tell you that "should you ever want to leave", they would hire you in a moment - well they won't for fear of offending your current employer. Hope things get better. Really hard taking orders from the nannny!

Bushfire2000
March 16th, 2006, 07:52 AM
- but what can be really tough is if the family is well known because even though clients etc. of your company may feel you would make a wonderful addition to their respective companies and will tell you that "should you ever want to leave", they would hire you in a moment - well they won't for fear of offending your current employer.

So true. Everyone who has had my position before me quit after only one season. I'm the only one who has stayed the course for four years in this position. My co-worker has been there a staggering eleven years. We are niether of us young. Not really old either, but not in our thirties anymore.

SarahLynn: thanks for the encouragement I would have never thought land survey. I live about an hour east from Saskatoon how does that figure?

I carry copies of my resume in my van at all times. And I will have to travel to work anywhere closer is better of course.

Thanks for your advice all.

CyberKitten
March 16th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Even if you sit on a board of businesses your families owns, it can be a hassle - so I do not envy you!! There used to be this commercial where this young woman says to her dad something about she could have worked for him and he laughs and says "no stress there" or she says that, can't recall - my dad and I laugh at that ad because we have been there, lol

I would quit!! Work somewhere where your mental health will not be affected!