Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Food vs Adult Food

Beaglemom
March 14th, 2006, 09:04 AM
We have a new puppy, Princess, that is currently being fed the Iams Puppy Dry Food:yuck: We had no choice as this is what she was being fed before we got her and so to avoid upsetting her tummy, we are continuing with it for just a little while longer. We are then switching her over gradually to something of much better quality, most likely the Performatrin Ultra Lamb & Rice Puppy. Misty is being fed the adult version of this and she loves it. We have even noticed a difference in how much shinier her coat is now! Unfortunately, the dry food from Performatrin is too big for Princess' very tiny mouth as she is a Bichon/Pom mix.

We want to mix some canned food in with her dry kibble to make it tastier. We are currently adding water to make it a little softer and she eats it fine, but we would rather add a bit of wet food to make it more palatable and have her eat better quality.

Here's my problem, not everyone makes puppy canned food that is of good quality. Performatrin only makes the dry puppy food and not the canned puppy food. Merricks does make canned puppy food and I'm thinking of buying that, which I know is of very good quality.

The person I spoke with at the store that I buy my pet supplies from said that when you purchase the holistic brands and the higher quality brands such as Merricks, Solid Gold, Wellness, Performatrin, Eagle Pack, etc., you don't necessarily have to feed puppy food to puppies since they are all very good and the adult food is good for puppies as well. I'm a little hesitant as I know that puppies require different nutrient levels. Is this right though? Can I feed her the Performatrin adult canned food or should I only stick with the puppy canned food for Princess. I will most likely buy the Merricks canned puppy food, but just thought I would ask anyway.

Sorry this turned out to be quite long!

technodoll
March 14th, 2006, 09:21 AM
well to make a long story short... before the advent of commercial dog food and it countless variations (puppy, adult, senior, lite, ultra, superduper, whathaveyounot) - what do you think dogs ate for hundreds of thousands of years? same thing as the adults... and the puppies did just fiiiiine. or the dog species would have extinguished itself ;)

don't waste any energy trying to wrap your head around all these marketing gimmicks, feed your puppy a high-quality holistic food mixed with real food & real meat, and it will be fiiiine! :thumbs up

Prin
March 14th, 2006, 12:32 PM
I would feed the majority puppy food and just supplement it with canned (I prefer Merrick to the others). As a supplement, the canned isn't relied on for the bulk of the nutrients, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. In the end it doesn't really matter, as smaller dogs are more robust and you are giving a great food. (by supplement, I mean around 3/4 of the food every day is dry).

Beaglemom
March 14th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Thank you. We only want what's best for all our babies. Misty is already receiving good quality food and treats. We want the same for Princess but know that we have to go slowly so as to not cause an upset tummy. We do give some human food as well, occasionally, but don't want to overdo it. It's more of a treat every now and then.

I bought her the Merrick canned puppy food. My mom gave her just a little, mixed in with her dry food and she just wolfed it down! She ate better than we had ever seen her eat before! It wasn't even much, just enough. Once we know she is handling the new canned food well mixed with the dry we are going to switch her dry food as well.