Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Working from home Questions for anyone that does it?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 13th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Does anyone work from home - I am currently following a job lead to work for a travel company. The work is done from home and you book travel accomadations for people over the phone and by email. Its an hourly wage plus commission! and fulltime hours too. The company so far seems ligit anything I should watch out for.

I like the idea of working from home - does anyone do this already what are the pros and cons. I know that I wouldnt miss the commute, but then at the xmas party it would just be me myself and I. :D

poodletalk
March 14th, 2006, 08:17 AM
I work in sales, sometimes I work from home. You must be very displined, you must have the mind frame you are at work not at home. Which means, no tv, no talking on the phone with friends, laundry, working in your PJ.

Personally, I like working from home some days but I also like going in the office for the atmosphere.

Melinda
March 14th, 2006, 08:24 AM
I work at home, and I love it, perks..no special dress up clothing, no driving so you save gas, I'm home to make meals, clean the house, take a break when I want, if you're a registered business, you can claim a certain amount of elec, taxes, interest on mortgage if you have one, if you rent you can claim part of that, any office supplies, cleaning supplies etc. I worked outside the home for 8 yrs and in the home for 19, I love it.

joeysmama
March 14th, 2006, 08:44 AM
I work from home, part time. I'm a coach on another website. (diet and exercise, lifestyle related--not a pet related site) We get paid for the coaching but it's pretty flexible scheduling. For instance, there is a forum which is my responsibility. I check it several times a day and answer questions, offer support and encouragement, that sort of thing. If I am out of the house for 5 hours it's ok, I can do it when I get home, but if I'm home I'll answer them immediately.

We have specific classes also and when I am coaching a class I will need to put up a post sometime between 9 p.m and 5 a.m EST. Then, during the day I will answer every person who posts on that thread. A little more diligence. Classes have a LOT more activity than the daily forums. And we also have check-in chats on class days and moderated, archived chats during class as well. Chats are in real time and of course if I'm scheduled to lead a chat I am tied in to a specific time, but I choose the time that works best for me in advance. And the archived chats require more in terms of preparation, since they deal with a specific topic and are meant to be informative.

I love this because of the flexibility. No commute, no money on a work wardrobe, no gas money, no office politics. I send an invoice when class ends and a few weeks later there's a check in my mailbox. My boss is sooo sweet and I never really hear anything from anyone other than what classes are coming up and what forum would I like to moderate. It's a great set up--the only drawback being that there are too many coaches to suit me so I don't get enough hours. I'd like to work more because, even though it's not great money--it's easy money and pleasant.

My husband has his own firm and worked from home the first year. Even with the pressure of starting a company and having to put in long hours the work from home was great !! He was pretty disciplined though. Set the alarm for the same time, get up and get the paper, shower and have breakfast, put the coffee on and head into the office. It worked well for him but he never went "to work" without getting dressed for the day and having his morning routine.

He still has the home office but he works out of a larger office now and goes in to the office almost every day. I do think he's enjoying the discipline of NOT working from home because even though we pretended the other wasn't here, there were still distractions. You need to be very disciplined and lay down some ground rules for the family before hand. For instance I couldn't ask him to bring in groceries or anything that I could do for myself just because he was here. If I needed him for something it had to wait until the end of his work day. And he couldn't ask me where I was going or waht I was doing. If he was at work he wasn't here--had to mind his own business. And just for the record--I kept my end of that bargain MUCH better than he did !!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 14th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks for all the replys I was feeling a bit apprehensive as it is work from home and its a web based bussiness - so I want to make sure its not a scam. You know the ones earn 5000 in your spare time just send us $200.:eek: call 1-800 -GET-RICH

This one pays an hourly wage and no up front costs or special programs to install - except a special headset that plugs into the USB port that they pay for. They also pay your internet costs as well. I spoke to a second person today on the phone and the next step is an in person interview that will either take place today or in a couple of days.

Anyways I am hoping it will work out.

Bushfire2000
March 14th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Good luck. It sounds like a great opportunity for you.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 14th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I am going in an hour for an in person interview. :D This is the most casual interview I have ever been too. The guy is going on a ski trip and is anxious too meet me so he is actually bringing his kids, I decided however to leave mine at home. :D

jesse's mommy
March 14th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Good Luck! Let us know how it goes! :fingerscr

Writing4Fun
March 14th, 2006, 03:09 PM
I work from home too - running my own engraving business, and prior to that I worked for my employer in a telecommuting capacity. Like everyone else said, you need to be disiplined (no internet - that one was really hard for me, especially once I found this site!:evil: ). You also need a supportive significant other. Nothing worse than having him come home and say, "Geez! What have you been doing all day? This place is a mess!"

You can look up the company info on www.bbb.org to see if they have a bad record. If you want, you can PM the company name to me and I'll ask around my circle of WAHM friends to see if any of them have had any experience with this company.

When looking for a work-from-home job (which is not to be confused with a work-from-home business - very different set of rules there ;) ), these are some things you should be looking out for:
- There should be no fees associated with the job. No training fees, no software fees, no administration fees, no "just to prove you're serious" fees. You wouldn't pay a "regular" employer for work, why should this be any different?
- Any claims that you'll be making stupid amounts of money - you know the ones - "Earn $5,000 per week working part-time from home!"
- If their ads use excessive exclamation marks!!! "Wow!!! Work from home!! Stay home with your kids and get paid!! Earn all sorts of money while doing your laundry!!!"
- Ask. Find some work-at-home communities (there are a bazillion of them out there), perform a search and ask the regulars if they have any info on the company you're considering.

Good luck! :thumbs up

Gazoo
March 14th, 2006, 04:46 PM
I work from home as a mortgage broker. Some days it can be painful and lonely. It takes a certain personality to work at home.

Then again on the other hand some days I work in my pyjamas with the TV on in the background.

One bonus of working from home is that our four silly animals aren't neglected :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 14th, 2006, 06:25 PM
The interview went well - they think I am a good fit. Now I am studying their website as they have a series of tests that I need to take before I officially start training. I actually am not good at studying so any help with this would be helpful too. :D

NaNa8
March 14th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Good Luck on the test.:thumbs up I am confident that you will do well as it appears you are very motivated .

I would love to be able to work from home. I feel guilty leaving Laci alone during the day. She has some medical problems and although my employer is generous with my time off, I would love to be home with her to watch and work with her more than we do now.

JoAnne

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 15th, 2006, 05:49 PM
I am so stressed yesterday they called me and said I was a good fit and asked me if I was excited. They made me fill in forms to get started as an official employee. So I basically thought I had the job :confused:

Now I have to do testing which they are supposed to call me back to do, I have been waiting since 12 noon pacific time. Which is almost four hours ago. So I havent gone out all day and have been waiting for my call. I did call back once and left a message - but I dont want to call again as they know I am waiting for their call. They did say they were going to check my references I know they checked one of them already and it was optimistic.

Oh my gosh I am literally pulling my hair out whats taking them, :eek: its not like I flunked the test - I havent even taken it yet - not sure how many tests I need to take this is the first one. perhaps they need to contact all my references first who knows. I hate the waiting part. :mad: :(

jesse's mommy
March 15th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I think you need a margarita!

raingirl
March 15th, 2006, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't worry. It usually takes a few days to check references, so relax. If you have a cell phone, get all your calls forwarded and go out!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 15th, 2006, 07:15 PM
I passed the first quiz there is three more to go. They said so far so good!!!

but its not over yet.

Prin
March 15th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Woooooooooooooooooo!!!! Keeping my fingers crossed.:fingerscr :fingerscr

CyberKitten
March 15th, 2006, 10:15 PM
I would give yourself a break and not obsess about it - I have hired many ppl tho am no HR expert but I have to admit we do not think about the ppl waiting - other than being polite and assuring them we will be doing the ref checks, checking paperwork (coursework and certification, etc) in as timely a manner as possible, esp if the candidate had to ttavel from a significant distance. We once interviewed someone from London, England by video conference and do that more often now and if we are impressed by that and other factors, folow it uo by paying to fly the person into our area. We do try to get back to them as soon as possible but often there are so many ppl involved in rhw decision that it all takes time, even in small organizations!! (Even small non profits have boards!). So take it easy - they are prob just going thru all those motions and the fact they have kept in touch I would say is a very good sign!!

btw, I have a friend in NZ who works for an internet based company and she loves it. It is part time granted -she teaches also so she gets out at as well but she did not want to do it FT because she is sort of gergarious and would not do well alone all the time. (her kids are grown and her husband travels a lot in his work - tho she does have her dog and cat :) ) - I had tp retpe "dog" from dig - No, she has no "dig" even if she is an avid gardener, lol

We have some ppl who telecommute on some days- and we actually check vitals of patients we have sent home with our own technology we developed tho cusomised existying software and made it better (for our uses anyway) is prob a better explanation - lest I end up in a Dan Brown like court case, lol Many of the ppl who telecommunte are those who do med transcription - which is abecoming a more kewl emerging tech job (Gone are the days of simply listening to a recorder!), nurses who respond to phone calls by ppl before going to an ER - where they can seek med info about whether their med issues warrent immediate med attention (part of our telehealth system) - (You know, someone with a bit of money and innovation might develop something like that for vets aand their patients and patients' meomies and dogfathers <g>- must discuss this with my vet!!) and the nurses can work from home tho they have immediate access to a supervisor and information and the hospital at the click of a mouse. Most ppl in our org who telecommute tend to be women who have have small children. Our web and intranet editors and content writers also work from home on occasion as well. Admittedly ,we prefr the actual programmers of our system to be on site! I think I would like it PT - not sure about FT unless I had to for medical reasons. I do a lot of videoconferecing with patients in other communities and it works really well - the kids especially love it!!! (When I 1st began to do this, one of the key issues pointed to by the CMedA - who have theior own ethhical delimmas late with our Journal - the editor and an associate resigned, looong story) - was how I would bill for these comsultations. My reaction was "oh c'mon, give me a break!" but they are now comnsidered by our prov govts as legitimate "office visits". This is not the case ith many HMO's in the US who refuse to pay for such services leading to the holding back of innovation and frustration for patients who belong to those HMOs, sigh!! But it was not all that simple to get some of our old fashioned guys to accept it either - they won't do it but at least they recognize those if us who DO!!

Good luck with the job - I'll cross my fingers for you!!! I bet the tests are not half as bad as you think!!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 16th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Thanks CK and everyone its looking good so for - I was hoping I could just be hired and give my notice - its amazing how when a new prospect comes up - you just dread going to your current job. Also I have to do the second training phase and work too - but I'll manage - they admitted they are testing me to see if I can handle it - so I just have to prove to them that I am up for the challenge - Gotta go to work now. :D

If anyone wants to know the company PM and I wll send you the link its kind of cool.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 16th, 2006, 09:36 PM
well the really long interview continues its looking closer yet. :D