Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Marking her territory

littlemanx
March 13th, 2006, 03:43 PM
I have a 10 month old manx who is going through her 1st heat....and driving me nuts also....but she is soooo cute....anyway....she is making little pees all over the house and has never done this before her heat.....

Is there anything I can do to stop this until we breed her, or get her fixed???

chico2
March 13th, 2006, 05:06 PM
I have no experience with cats in heat,other than with on of my neighbors cats,but if you are not planning on showing her,please have her spayed,she will thank you for it and so will all the homeless cats for not bringing any more to the world.

Lucky Rescue
March 13th, 2006, 05:28 PM
No, there is nothing you can do to stop a cat's heat cycle. Your cat should have been spayed months ago.

I suggest you do it asap, as constant heats can cause all kinds of problems, from deadly pyometra to mammary and uterine cancer.

No need to breed her unless she is a show champion. There are plenty of Manx cats around. In fact we get them quite often in our rescue, including entire litters of kittens.

littlemanx
March 13th, 2006, 05:43 PM
thanks for the reply's
I am not interested in interrupting her heat, but I would like her to stop peeing all over the house....

Yes I will get her spayed right after this heat.

Tootsie is a real rescue, I found her when she was 3 weeks old, and left for dead in a field, and in a coma. A lot of TLC went into bringing her back to life. Her little body was flat and cold, and she could not even blink. I warmed her on my tummy and gave her fluids under the skin.

My disclaimer here is, she had such a rough start to her life, and I view her as this little baby....to young for a heat, never mind spaying.

Anyway, her we are 10 months later and she has recovered for the most part and now is a whopping 7 pounds from just ounces....

So yes, I promise once this heat is over, she will be spayed, as much as it hurts me to hurt her....I know she will feel better in time.

I just kept thinking it is major surgery, and didn't want to stress her out...

:sorry:

Lucky Rescue
March 13th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Female cats should be spayed before their first heat - at around 5 months old. There is no benefit to allowing a cat to go into heat, as you are finding out.
10 months old is an adult, and cats can get pregnant as young as 5 or 6 months.

The peeing and other behaviors are because she is uncomfortable and unhappy. She'll be much happier once spayed.

I'm glad you're not going to breed a rescue cat of unknown heritage. That would be unethical in the extreme.

I just kept thinking it is major surgery, and didn't want to stress her out...

She is already stressed from having futile heats. The spaying will stress her for only one day.

However, at her age, the heats might be more or less constant and you will probably have to spay her while she is in heat. This will cost extra, but there is no choice. I urge you to do it before she gets something like pyometra.

mom_to_many
March 13th, 2006, 09:52 PM
I agree that the peeing is sign of unhappiness or even frustration. I have one spayed female with five neutered males. CeeCee likes none of the boys...kinda prissy in her own way. Anyways...she pees in certain areas outside of the litter box, but I know where they are and have put down training pads that she will pee on. Cats can be very strange about what is good or bad in their world!

littlemanx
March 15th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Little Miss Tootsie has been booked to be spayed......

She has her pre-op on March 23, and goes under the knife on the 29th....

I am sure you all are right about this, but somehow it just breaks my heart.

You would understand if you saw her, she is so little and has been through so much already.

I know, I know,....she will be better off.

Thanks again for your input....

BTW, both my dog and other cat have been fixed, and I didnt have a problem taking either of them in. Maybe because they are both males and didnt have such a bad start to life...I dunno....

Lucky Rescue
March 15th, 2006, 12:07 PM
I am sure you all are right about this, but somehow it just breaks my heart

Oh, we know how you feel! I HATE leaving any frightened animals at the vet and feel terrible doing it, but I tell myself it's not only for their own good - ending the misery of constant heats - but also for the good of all cats, since they will not be adding to the overpopulation problem.

And think of how heartbroken you would be if your girl got uterine/ovarian/mammary cancer or pyometra because you didn't spay her.

You're doing the kind and responsible thing.:thumbs up

littlemanx
April 2nd, 2006, 08:24 AM
Well, little miss Tootsie had her sx, and came through with flying colors.....what a little trooper.....

I think it was harder on me than her....lol....anyway she is back home and being a little terror again....

Imagine the vets office saying my little 4 pound Manx has "an attitude".....pffft...."apparently" they could not touch her or put their hands in her cage....I walked in, picked her up and she purred......I don't see an attitude....lol.....

Anyway, Thank you again for the slap in the back of the head , and guiding me in the right direction to getting my "broken kitty" fixed....

;o)....and yes, she does have an attitude but only with strangers......but I love her to death anyway....what can I say, she is a Manx....:pawprint:

take care guys!

badger
April 2nd, 2006, 08:28 AM
Have you got a picture?

chico2
April 2nd, 2006, 08:54 AM
Good for Tootsie:thumbs up
I would have an"attitude"too,away from home and in a cage,but it was all for the good,she'll now be a sooo much happier kitty!

mom_to_many
April 2nd, 2006, 10:57 AM
Imagine the vets office saying my little 4 pound Manx has "an attitude".....pffft...."apparently" they could not touch her or put their hands in her cage....I walked in, picked her up and she purred......I don't see an attitude....lol..

That brought back a memory of when I had my first female spayed! The vet called and almost begged me to get her ASAP as she was a hissing, growling mass of grey fur! Must have alot to do with anesthesia! Glad to hear your kitty is home. Now you will have peace and quiet, and maybe it will fix her peeing.:)

Prin
April 2nd, 2006, 12:56 PM
Oh, I've seen that. At the vet I worked at, we'd get kitties who were so wonderfully cuddly when the owner was there and the minute the owner turned around, that cuddly kitty became the kitty from HELL! One of them ripped a tendon in my hand, another pierced a vein in my arm and another (that I refused to touch) scredded the vet's shirt open...

I'm glad the spay went well.:thumbs up

Lucky Rescue
April 2nd, 2006, 03:40 PM
what can I say, she is a Manx

We get Manxes in our rescue and most of them scared the daylights out of me!:eek:

One in particular was so fearsome protecting her kittens that anyone going near needed a goalie mask and gloves to do so.

Glad your kitty is feeling fine and no longer bothered by heat cycles.:thumbs up

mom_to_many
April 2nd, 2006, 04:09 PM
Prin you just described my sister's cat Spike!! The vet hated to see him come in and would have to wear protective gloves!! He was also quite evil at his house, better guard than a dog!! He was the only cat that I stayed clear of!!

doggy lover
April 2nd, 2006, 05:16 PM
My sister had a hyma that marked, once fixed that was the end of it.