Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help my cat Please!!

Derek & Jeter
March 13th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Does anyone know of a vet who will take 1/2 payment today and 1/2 in a few days in central Toronto? My cat is dying in front of me and they all want $278 TODAY, to put him to sleep. He saw his own vet just three times in the last 19 years, so they don't trust me - f_n greedy millionaires.

This is the 3rd day and I'm getting to the point where I can't eat or relax from the stress of asking people for a loan. Are the vets price fixing or something.?

BMDLuver
March 13th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Call your nearest humane society or OSPCA or SPCA. They will have a vet on duty this morning particuliarly and will be able to do it for you. It will be less costly.

chico2
March 13th, 2006, 07:54 AM
OMG....this is beyond belief:evil: I hope you get help,I cannot believe any vet would let a cat die in pain and not help him,because of money:sad:
$278 for euthanazia????
It's been a few years since I had to have a cat PTS,maybe 6yrs and then it cost $125.

Lucky Rescue
March 13th, 2006, 09:39 AM
OMG, I'm sorry!!! I cannot believe this....to euthanize my 80lb dog was under 150$

It's terrible that the vets could be so unfeeling.

I hope you can do as BMDluver suggests.:(

Derek & Jeter
March 13th, 2006, 09:52 AM
When I said TODAY I meant that's what they said Friday Sat and Sunday and would say again today, if I wasn't lucky enough to have one brother who could afford and is generous enough to lend/give me the money. But I should have planned ahead...I didn't think cats could get so sick so fast.

I just thought someone might have the name of a vet who might give a reduced rate or pay plan to someone on a disability pension west of Yonge and Boor.

I'll have enough today, but wasn't sure when I posted first. I'll have to go to foodbanks the rest of the month.

He has renal failure and complications, diagnosed by me, and over the phone by two vets.

BMDlover Thanks but I called and you have to turn a pet over to THS and at this point I don't want to leave him alone in a cage until it's his turn.

Chico2 Thanks. He seemed better last night so I let my defences down. Then I saw his nasal discharge was bloody and that could mean ?? Got to get a hold of myself, but I don't want to do this.

Lucky Rescue
March 13th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Got to get a hold of myself, but I don't want to do this.

Nobody wants to do it, but it must be done.:sad: I'm glad you'll be able to get it over with today. Your kitty will thank you for letting him go and for all the love you have given him.

Derek & Jeter
March 13th, 2006, 10:56 AM
I just called my vet again and the receptionist said $185.

I talked to the nurse at another one who knows mine and she said mine probably charges the same as her -$278. So, I assumed...

Does $185 sound right?

Did someone call them since High Park area is in my profile? If someone did he might be in a bad mood when he sees the cat and me. Right?:confused:

chico2
March 13th, 2006, 11:28 AM
I don't think anybody called,at least I did not:confused:
I hope you get some relief for this little guy quick.
$185 seems more like it..
Stay with him the whole time,if you can,he'll just go to sleep,it's a peaceful passing:love,no less sad for you,but he'll be at peace,no more pain..

Frenchy
March 13th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Even at $185,it's pretty expensive,If I was you,I would make other phone calls.Maybe those are the rate in Ontario,but not here in Québec.I had to have one of my cat put down 2 years ago and it cost me $35.00 (I knew the vet very well,but even so...) Good luck,hope your cat is not suffering too much.

Prin
March 13th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Frenchy, I thought I was the only one who was wondering about that. Last time we went to the vet, the cat before us got put down for $65... Maybe it would be cheaper to drive all the way to Quebec and get it done here.:confused: That's such a blow- I mean you're losing a kitty and getting an enormous bill for it?:eek: :sick:

rainbow
March 13th, 2006, 12:00 PM
$278 is outrageous....I`m in B.C. and that`s about what it cost us to have our last Siberian Husky put down in 2005 and that included the cremation.

chico2
March 13th, 2006, 04:39 PM
It seems here in Ontario we are paying about twice as much as you guys in Quebec for any veterinary care.
I just paid $300+to have Vinnies teeth cleaned:mad:
We usually do one cat a year.
I think in this case,the cat needed help yesterday and bickering about cost is not going to help him,to me $185 seems reasonable to finally end his suffering.
I paid $105 to have my Peppi(RIP sweet baby) put down,but that was 6 yrs ago.

badger
March 13th, 2006, 05:09 PM
I agree, Chico. It is so hard to read this thread, knowing that this cat is suffering needlessly. To the OP, please just do it, it is hard, I know, but you have to be tough for your cat, he needs you to do this. And enough about the money already, worry about that later.

raingirl
March 13th, 2006, 07:15 PM
There is a "Blue Cross" vet clinic in toronto that is super reasonable. I beleive it's on the Danforth.

Blue Cross Animal Hospital 132 Danforth Av Toronto, ON Tel: 416-469-1121

Derek & Jeter
March 14th, 2006, 10:27 PM
I's sorry if you all thought Garfield was suffering since I last posted.

To you suggesting I had the money but wouldn't take him in because it was too expensive!!! PLEASE, give me a break. The day I made the first posts I had no money at all.
For you and everyone who was understandably concerned, Thanks and:

His pain was under control since yesterday evening, his symptoms lessened - he was cleaning himself, and drinking out of the toilet bowl after he got some meds. And yes, I stopped him and gave him Brita filtered water. But, I was tired, worried, busy being with my cat on the floor, on the bed,trying to give him his pills, changing his water, waiting for the milk to warm up a bit (that's all he wanted to eat) had a headache and didn't think to go online.

He was put to sleep by my vet this afternoon. I'm sorry I didn't post sooner but I stayed with the body for an hour afterwards, made some stops on the way home, had some other some concerned people to call (one being my brother who paid the bill), an e-mail to write to a lady from Michigan who offered to help pay for his care.

Anyway that God he's at peace now. It was quick, painless and peaceful, just like I'd heard.

Prin
March 15th, 2006, 12:29 AM
I'm so sorry you lost your kitty.:sad:

chico2
March 15th, 2006, 07:24 AM
I am relieved his suffering is over,but also saddened:love:
If I were you,I would put away a little bit of money whenever I can,to save for any emergencies,if you have other pets.
Bad things happen,no matter how well you care for your pets and you could avoid another situation as with Garfield.
RIP..little Garfield:love:

Prin
March 15th, 2006, 04:14 PM
If I were you, I'd get out of TO and move somewhere where the value of a buck is reasonable...:eek:

chico2
March 15th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Well Prin,we live 1/2 away from Toronto and it's not any cheaper here,maybe out in the boonies.

Prin
March 15th, 2006, 05:03 PM
The whole area around TO is expensive. Even Ottawa is expensive...

amyk
March 15th, 2006, 05:47 PM
:sad: sorry to hear about your cat passing away.

my cousin lives in toronto and a couple years ago her elderly rabbit was dying of cancer. the vet REFUSED to put the rabbit to sleep, he wanted to do all kind of very expensive tests before he'd put the rabbit to sleep. so my cousin couldnt afford the $400 or whatever the vet wanted, so her poor rabbit ended up dying slowly at home.

i have an old dog (11 yr old lab mix) that might need to be pts in the next couple years or so. im not going to pay thousands in medical care to extend the life of an elderly dog if he does end up with some terminal condition. im not sure what it costs to euthanize in my area, but im going to inquire about it.

and to top it off, it's about $150 to cremate a dog and then another $150 to get "his" ashes back. im lucky that i'll be able to bury him at my brothers property and not have to pay so much for cremation (i live in the city).

~Amy

chico2
March 16th, 2006, 07:24 AM
I've never had a cat cremated,always took them home and buried them in my backyard,where they lived for up to 19yrs,I currently have 4 cats there:sad:
I had no idea cremation and getting the ashes was so expensive..

CyberKitten
March 16th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I am so sorry for yoiur loss! I hav e my pets that are deceased buried on my woodlot - they can keep each other company at the Bridge and I can talk to them there (I do it alone!) and for my bunny, there are many wild rabbits in the area that he used to love to watch! So now he watches them from the bridge. So sorry you had so much trouble!

mom_to_many
March 16th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Dereek&Jeter I am sorry for your loss. I also have 3 buried in my back yard. 1 was the previous owners, and my two are underneath the old pinetree where they liked it in the summer. Also I guess there is one perk to living in a small town in No Mans Land. When I had Bandit #1 put to sleep, I NEVER received a bill. My vet is one that will cry with you if your pet is one of her regulars. Hell of a good woman!

Derek & Jeter
March 16th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Thanks to all,

I have no other pets, chico, and will not get any unless my financial situation changes and am able to buy insurance.

Even the last day I thought it might just be a bad cold (denial). But I have a ton of guilt and I'll tell the whole story (not all bad) in the rainbow bridge section soon - it might help someone else.

Amyk...

About the poor bunny, one place told me they wanted to do tests first - one $300 + hospital stay before they'd euthanise ($2000). I guess it's best to ask around for recommendations from people, before the animal gets sick. Being a nice person (the vet) isn't enough basis for trust, also the cost of a checkup is the same everywhere.

I liked my vet - even specified him, when I called - because he has around 100 years experience:) and he gave me a blast last visit. He said a few months ago "why don't you give this cat a bath, he's 96 and it isn't easy for him? :mad: You haven't brought him here in years" :mad: If he was trying to chase business or yappy me away it worked the opposite, because I knew he was an animal person first and didn't suck up to people. Garfield liked him too :love:, I could tell.