Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Expired food... To eat or not to eat?

Prin
March 12th, 2006, 04:33 PM
I'm suffering through 2 projects, a paper and two midterms this week, so I sent the man out for some chocolate. He bought me Lindt hazelnut chocolate that expired in December. :eek: Would you eat it? It looks ok....:o

What foods do you all think are ok to eat past the date? A lot of people eat expired yogurt and stuff, but I just can't do that either...

jesse's mommy
March 12th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I would eat the chocolate. I wouldn't eat dairy product or meats -- perishables. I can tell you with our stuff (cookies & crackers), even though it's expired, it's still good for another 4-5 months after -- as long as the seal isn't broken on the package. So, non-perishable is just fine.

raingirl
March 12th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I was told that the expiry dates on everything is "estimated"

The only one I don't do is milk and meat. Other dairy like cheese, yogurt, etc, is fine usually for up to a week after expiry. Even moldy cheese is technically fine, since the molds on cheese are edible (hence blue cheese).

The expiry on chocolate is fine, since it's just the date that the chocolate tastes the best before. Chocolate can't really "go bad" though.

jesse's mommy
March 12th, 2006, 04:57 PM
And honey doesn't have an expiration date. It never goes bad.

Prin
March 12th, 2006, 04:59 PM
I know about honey... I have honey from the early-mid '70s... I LOVE it.

Oh- about cheese.. I saw a "report" on tv a long time ago that said moldy cheese was bad. They said by the time there was mold on the outside, there are a whole bunch of different harmful molds on the inside that we can't see with the nekkid eye. That said, I grew up eating leftovers after the mold was cut off and I haven't died yet. But I don't eat it anymore...

mafiaprincess
March 12th, 2006, 05:24 PM
I'd eat the chocolate..

Milk, meat, cheese, yogurt.. those freak me right out when expired.. So do dips..

I'll eat other stuff beyond the exp dates though.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 12th, 2006, 06:37 PM
My mom has a whole chicken in a can in her cubboard I think its been there since the 1950's and she still has it!!!!!! A whole entire Chicken in a can. I think it may actually be worth some money now. It may be worth taking to the antique road show. :D

domesticzookeep
March 12th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Two + months past the expiry date on chocolate? I'd eat it & probably wouldn't think twice about it - it's chocolate! mmmm ;)
I'd say - give it the quick 'sniff' test (ie.when I don't have the tab for the last bag of milk & can't remember when I need to finish it by....:rolleyes: ) - but I'm not sure you'd smell anything but that yummy Lindt goodness....

....expiry dates are a guesstimate - leaning on the conservative side - not a date when the sour cream magically goes from yummy & good to something that will make you deathly ill :p

But....a whole canned chicken from the 50's???? Ewwwwww!! Can u imagine the smell if it was opened???:yuck: :yuck:

But if you're concerned, see if you're loving b/f will bring it back to the store & have it exchanged - they should do that if u still have the reciept...

....and if we don't hear from u in the next little bit, we'll take it as lesson learned never to eat expired chocolate :D

C.
:ca:

jiorji
March 12th, 2006, 11:52 PM
I'm suffering through 2 projects, a paper and two midterms this week, so I sent the man out for some chocolate. He bought me Lindt hazelnut chocolate that expired in December. :eek: Would you eat it? It looks ok....:o

What foods do you all think are ok to eat past the date? A lot of people eat expired yogurt and stuff, but I just can't do that either...

but....but.........its Lindt!!! If you don't eat it...the chocolate gods get upset and before you know it there'll be a chocolate shortage.:eek: is that what you want?? lol

no but seriously, I'd eat it. Why not? my rule : if it's not moldy you can still eat it.
I sent my friend to the store to get me chips and she didn't end up getting them cos the expiration date was that week. I thought that was a bit too dramatic lol

honestly, I don't check for the expiration date. I find it odd though to see meat on "special" hehe. I still buy it though. It's steak on sale!
I get more weary of dairy products that may be expired or meats or stale bakery items.

Prin
March 13th, 2006, 02:31 AM
LOL I'm not eating at Jiorji's house!!! :D

I'm anal about expiry dates. If stuff is in a fridge or freezer in the store, I take the one that's not in the front (too much variation in temp) and not too far in the back (too cold or not enough stock rearranging), and then I check the expiry, and make sure it's the latest one they have. That's why I like Costco- they have such a high turnover of product that they're all really fresh, with expiries long after any of the grocery stores. :thumbs up

But chips and junk that has more preservatives than nutrients, that all is ok whenever...

jjgeonerd
March 13th, 2006, 10:35 AM
My rule is that if it doesn't smell bad then I'll eat it. Milk, dairy, chocolate, whatever. Expiration dates are just guidelines IMO (to my wife's dismay :p ).

I also do the sniff test on clothes that I'm not sure are clean or not (again...to my wife's dismay :p ).

I'm a guy...what can I say?! :D

jawert1
March 13th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Chocolate I wouldn't worry about, however last year I wound up in the hospital for an overnight stay because I drank milk that was 2 days past the expir. date (didn't smell bad or anything). Once the test results proved it, I never did it again (at least with milk - chocolate is always a toss up depending on the craving).

Luvmypit
March 13th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Ill drink milk if it smells ok maybe a day after the expiry date. Now I may think twice.

Meat, nope, Choc, chips ect... feast away

Prin
March 17th, 2006, 01:01 AM
There's a funny end to the chocolate story. I decided to eat the chocolate and I got quite ill really soon afterward.. Then, smarty me read the package, and it seems that even if I read expiry dates, I don't read much else. It was diabetic lindt... 77% less sugar than usual, meaning it's all aspartame... The package also said "consuming large quantities of this product may cause laxative effects". So ya. I have to read more.:D At least it didn't go straight to my hips.:angel:

jesse's mommy
March 17th, 2006, 05:45 AM
What's the man doing buying you diabetic chocolate? Doesn't he know when his woman wants chocolate, she wants chocolate???

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 17th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Any kind of dairy no way - well maybe sour cream within a few days-
I am always throwing a way spaghetti sauce and left overs because I can't remember how old they are. Meat for me as a three day rule if its not eaten within three days its garbage, unless its frozen of course, also any meat left on the counter for more than 1/2 hour is toast to me too I won't eat it.

I even bought these containers from tupperwear that you put produce in, they are supposed to make your produce keep way longer. They have two vents on them and depending on what you are storing you either have them both open, both closed, or one open and one closed, but I lost the paper that says how long everything keeps so now they are expensive useless containers because they don't really do what they are supposed to do.

Also does anyone label food - I usually have good intentions to but only do it half the time< :D

Prin
March 17th, 2006, 01:20 PM
What's the man doing buying you diabetic chocolate? Doesn't he know when his woman wants chocolate, she wants chocolate???
LOL He didn't even look at it. I said, "lindt milk chocolate in the blue wrapper" and he brought me expired lindt hazelnut diabetic chocolate in a blue wrapper.:rolleyes: :D