Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

opinions wanted

Frenchy
March 12th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Hi all,just wondering about tv satellites.I have Bell Express Vu,for the past year,I'm not too impressed with it (neither of the other Bell services) and I was thinking maybe switching to Star Choice.Any of you have opinions on both companies?

mastifflover
March 12th, 2006, 10:24 AM
I have star choice it was not bad it very rarely went down as opposed to Bell. I think they are all way too expensive though.

Gazoo
March 12th, 2006, 10:54 AM
We dumped the satelite and went back to cable.

Faster channel surfing, similar cost, less down time.

Frenchy
March 12th, 2006, 11:14 AM
So far -1 for Star Choice,I can get the website but once i'm there,nothing is happening!As for cable,we don't get videotron in my area.I am near the u.s. border (Lacolle) they must be an americain cable company that "service" Sherrington.Can't find anything on the web,grrrr.And yes,they all are way too expensive,but now a day,you have to get one of those or else you only get snow.

Prin
March 12th, 2006, 11:41 AM
I used to work at Star Choice... It was funny because I was supposed to be selling the stuff; meanwhile, I'm at home with a crappy signal and a defective box... It took 7 installers to "fix" it. Even then, my signal was only 67%. :rolleyes:

It used to be worth it when they had the "simple satellite" plan, where they were responsible for all the maintenance of the dish, and you didn't have to pay a cent. They got rid of that (too costly), so now, if anything happens to the dish, you have to call an installer (minimum $50 for the visit). If you ask any installer, they'll tell you that for every one Bell service call, there are about 10-15 Star choice service calls. SC's bigger, wing-like dishes tend to blow around or even off the roof. (I even had a few customers who had their dishes struck by lightning- so get a surge protector!;) ) The dishes also collect snow in the spring (the sticky spring snowfalls), and you lose your signal really quickly. Bell doesn't have as much trouble with that.

Don't go by the price. For the past 10 years, whenever one raises the prices, the other waits to gather the frustrated customers that left because of the price hike, and then it raises its prices too.

Rick C
March 12th, 2006, 01:50 PM
I've had Star Choice for almost eight years . . . . . . zero problems.

It can get pretty windy on our hill, however, and that blew the dish off course a little one summer but Mrs. C and myself straightened it out better than ever once we figured out how to do it.

Otherwise we've never had a service call for it.

We are, however, thinking of switching to Bell because they'll let you rent the Canadian equivalent of TIVO versus Star Choice which wants you to buy the device.

My brother in law has Bell and hasn't had any problems.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

chico2
March 12th, 2006, 03:49 PM
We had"Dishnet"for a while,when it was a grey-market thing,but soon had to get rid of it because it was illegal:sad:
Now we have digital TV,2 boxes with cogeco our cable-company,from whom we also get high-speed internet and lately our phone,unlimited longdistance in North America,caller ID,voicemail etc...cheaper than Bell and it's nice to have just one bill.