Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Foster Groups FYI...

jesse's mommy
March 11th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, or if any groups know this information, but here goes:

Did you know that if a bag of dog food or cat food that comes into a grocery store is accidently sliced open with a box cutter by an employee they throw it away? I know it's the not the best quality food, but it's better than nothing. Most grocery stores will donate this "damaged" product to shelters if you talk to the store manager/receiver in the store. I wasn't sure if you were aware of this or not, but I'm in and out of stores everyday (now and when I lived in Maryland) and everywhere I've been love to be able to donate it. It's usually against store policy for the employees to seek out a shelter, but if a shelter seeks out a store it's fine. I've talked to shelters in the areas that I've lived and let them know this information and most of them have acted on it.

Like I said, just an FYI if you didn't know. I hope this helps those who didn't know this and mods, I'm sorry if this was the wrong place to post this. :o

babyrocky1
March 11th, 2006, 11:54 PM
I dont know about pet food, but when my daughter worked at a large chain grocery store, they threw out perfectly good food every day, they did not donate anything to food banks etc. cuz of potential law suits or something, it was obscene, the amount of perfectly good food that was wasted. Im sure its worth looking into and probably depends were you live. This is how they behave in Toronto.

poodletalk
March 12th, 2006, 05:48 AM
I pick up food all the time from groomers and vet clinics, sometimes the bags were opened. (People buy food for their dog, the dog won't eat it so they bring it back to the store for an exchange.) Anyways, long as the bags are properly sealed everything is fine. Even expired dry food is good-the stores can't sell it anymore but it's still good food, vet clinics give it us all the time.

mastifflover
March 12th, 2006, 06:55 AM
I dont know about pet food, but when my daughter worked at a large chain grocery store, they threw out perfectly good food every day, they did not donate anything to food banks etc. cuz of potential law suits or something, it was obscene, the amount of perfectly good food that was wasted. Im sure its worth looking into and probably depends were you live. This is how they behave in Toronto.

I used to volunteer at a out of the cold it is a homeless program and the stores would love to give the stuff away but as was stated legal issues. Such a waste and the same for restaurants they cannot give away the food they do not use. My friends husband owns a restaurant downtown and at the end of the night he makes sandwiches and leaves them at the back door and they are always gone in the morning.

Lucky Rescue
March 12th, 2006, 09:43 AM
We asked Loblaw's about this - donating ripped or opened bags of cat food.

They won't do it, and throw it all away. Too bad for all the hungry feral cats.:sad:

mastifflover
March 12th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Lucky maybe if you had them sign a disclaimer saying they are not responsible for the food they donate. I think it is more of the legal issues than anything else. If the responsibility was taken off them they may go for it. I would also contact the head office and see if you can use some of your charm on them.

Lucky Rescue
March 12th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Yes, I'm sure it's a legal issue.

I would also contact the head office and see if you can use some of your charm on them.

Haha...no charm, but you're right. I"ll write them today!:)

jesse's mommy
March 12th, 2006, 11:34 AM
I know the stores I've dealt with, it depends on the store management. Some managers are buttheads and won't do it, but others are more than happy to do it. If one store says no, don't be afraid to go to another one of the same chain.

raingirl
March 12th, 2006, 02:26 PM
WHen I worked in insurance, we studied a legal case where a donut shop gave some day-olds to a homeless man. He got food poisoning and sued the shop and it went out of business. That's the legal case that all stores use now as an excuse not to give away food.

babyrocky1
March 12th, 2006, 09:19 PM
WHen I worked in insurance, we studied a legal case where a donut shop gave some day-olds to a homeless man. He got food poisoning and sued the shop and it went out of business. That's the legal case that all stores use now as an excuse not to give away food. Yeah that sounds familiar and it was Loblaws I was talking about, didnt know I could say it LOL