Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

back to school

raingirl
March 11th, 2006, 07:21 PM
I am having an debate with myself. I am considering going back to school.

The weird part is I was already accepted into the program I want twice, but chickened out. I was thinking of doing it part-time instead now, but it's still a large expense especially since I have no idea if I would ever get a job in that field.

It's for the Pastry Chef program at George Brown in Toronto.

I applied at the end of highschool, got in, but decided to go to UofT for Forensics instead. After I graduated from UofT, I couldn't find a job, so I applied again, but decided I didn't have the money.

It's something I obviously want to do and would excel at if I did, but it's still scary. The courses range from $200 to $1500, and I would need about 12 to graduate/get my certificate. Then I have to do an apprenticeship through the Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities, since Pastry Chef is a regulated trade in Ontario (you have to complete the apprenticeship and be certified to do it).

I have no doubt that it is my calling, and I think I could barely afford the courses one by one, which will take a while. Only two courses are in the $1500 range, so those I may have to save a while for....

My thing is that I don't have the option to take a pay cut to work in that industry, as I don't think I would get pay close to what I make now immediately. Plus, there aren't many jobs out there when I've looked. I'm not an entrepaneur, so starting my own business isn't an option.

I just don't know.

BMDLuver
March 11th, 2006, 07:41 PM
I'll point something out and this is in no way a criticism but you are young and don't have quite as much experience as some of us old gals... so here goes:

You seem to hate your present job, were not happy in your last job either and have flim flammed on this idea twice. Why not just go for it... you talk about how much money you make now but you aren't happy making it, so who the heck cares what you make if you aren't happy.. sometimes you have to actually sacrifice several things in your life in order to do what you really want to do in life. You aren't young forever and eventually it will be too late to follow your dreams. So what if you have to eat KD for a month, so what if you have to give up your vehicle and use public transport... if the end result is a job you love and a life you are happy with.. then it's all worth it.

That's JMHO.

jawert1
March 11th, 2006, 07:50 PM
a case of ramen noodles will get you through just about anything and not strain your wallet. bmd is right, if you hate what you do, all the money in the world won't change that. go to school, do what you enjoy and don't waste another moment worrying about a boss who stinks, coworkers that don't pull their weight or any of the rest. :)

mummummum
March 11th, 2006, 07:51 PM
WOW !!!! I'm drooling and I don't even like sweets...You have some serious talent Raingirl. It would be incredibly selfish of you to deprive the pastry-loving public of your talent!

But, in allllllll seriousness - you only get to go through this life once. Why wouldn't you grab the brass spatula ? You aren't terribly happy in your job if I recall and this is something you not only love but, you also have a real flair. I know money doesn't grow on trees and if you are anything like me you wonder where your paycheque goes. In my case - it "fritters" away. FIND the money Raingirl - don't miss out on a chance to do something you love.

Prin
March 11th, 2006, 09:41 PM
I agree! Go for it! Maybe you chickened out because you weren't ready. When you are, it'll all come together.

jesse's mommy
March 11th, 2006, 10:20 PM
I think you should go for it too. My closest friend to me just went into the business a few months ago and it's the best move she has ever made. If you want to PM me your email address, I could pass it on to her and she could tell you about it. She's having fun, making good money (better than she did at her "profession" that she went to college for), is able to spend more time with her family, and just loves doing it.

I say go for it!!!

raingirl
March 12th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Well, the first course is a food safety course that you take online, and I have to get my CPR updated before the rest of the courses. I will start with that.

Also, there is a teacher strike in Ontairo colleges right now, so I may as well get that first course out of the way.

I was looking at the course list and there is a math course that I may be able to get credit for, since I did several university level math courses previously.

There is also a mandatory computer course that we have to take, and you can't use previous experience to get out of it!! It's SOOOOO stupid and just a money grab. Why should I pay $300 for a computer course to teach me how to open, save, store, and locate files on a Windows2000 computer!!! How outdated is that? I have BUILT computers before, I have done computer programming before. I don't need a course to tell me how to make word files and excel spreadsheets!!

I can't beleive I am going to do this....

Frenchy
March 12th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Raingirl,If you ever need someone to taste your creations,I will do it free of charge,just to help you of course!