Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

reddish stain on paws?

shelbyshihtzu
November 23rd, 2003, 05:35 PM
My baby girl Shelby(shih Tzu) is 4 years old, she is a new addition to our family, we already had 2Dalmatians. anyway Shebly has a reddish, Brown stain on the fur on her paws and face, i was wondering what it could be?, i tried whitning shampoo and it seems the brighten her fur but it doesnt totally take the stain away. she had these stains since i got her almost a year a go, i bath her regulary. the stains were alot worse when we got her, but they are still there and it drives me crazy, any info would be great!

Carina
November 23rd, 2003, 07:18 PM
Do her eyes get teary; does she lick her paws?

Saliva & tears can cause reddish stains...seems I have read something about this. If that's the case, the real problem would be watery eyes & paw licking, I'd think.

Have you asked your vet? I notice this a lot with white & light colored dogs, especially small ones.

shelbyshihtzu
November 24th, 2003, 06:43 AM
Yes i read that before too, i trim her face once a week around the eyes , just to make sure there isnt any reason for teary eyes and infection. she does lick her paws and sometimes bites her nails,( i keep her nails trimmed)
thanx for your post Carina:)

Luba
November 24th, 2003, 09:08 AM
I agree with Carina

Esp with that breed they get it often :)

Carina
November 24th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Does she also get gunky ears? I'm wondering if it could be food related...

I'm sort of an advocate of "unkibble" diets because I don't think grains are very useful for dogs. Certainly not in the amounts they ingest from kibble. And wheat, corn & soy are very common culprits in food allergies. Maybe you can look at the ingredients and find a food that is very low in grains & has none of the above. Might be worth a try!

Watery eyes, gunky ears, and foot-licking are common signs of food allergies.

drdouggie
November 24th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Hi Kelly,

My passions are Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and my dogs have been Blenhiems (white and tan). They've all had this pink/brown staining on their eyes from time to time due to watery eyes. One of my current mutts wipes her eyes on her paws after being out in the cold (this seems to make her eyes water, being in the cold that is) and her paws would get discoloured too. I usually just give their faces a wee wipe with a clean, warm, damp facecloth and when the eye watering clears up the staining goes away when the new fur comes through. My dogs have been fed a variety of diets in their time and I was never aware of any foodstuffs causing watery eyes in my Cavaliers. However, I'm not disagreeing with Carina, she's right in saying allergies (to food or any other allergen) can cause watery eyes, I'm only saying I haven't experienced it :) . I wouldn't bother with that whitening stuff, God only knows what's in it and, as you've said, it's not much good!

shelbyshihtzu
November 24th, 2003, 03:50 PM
thanx for the posts!
no shelby doesnt have any gunky ears, I check her ears all the time because when i got her she had an ear infection and so now iam always worried about her ears. i dont think she is allergic to her food, i tried her on pedigree stew and and she became very sick, diahhrea and vomiting, now she is on dog chow kibble and i mix it with wet can dog food. i havent had any problems with her on the new food. the only time i noticed her eyes water is when the hair around the eye starts growing, so i make sure to trim it weekly.
My dalmatian needs food that is high in fish protien , anything else she will break out in bronzing spots. so iam used to food allergys with my dogs.
the reddish stains seem worse when she licks her paws, the stain is around her mouth and on all her paws, her face looks as though she ate a huge bowl of spagetti and meatballs ...lol
the more i think about it , it must be her saliva causing the stains. i must remember to ask my vet about this next visit.
thanx for replys, they are greatly appriciated ;)