Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

walking 3 dogs

Frenchy
March 10th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I won't be able to walk the dogs in the fields around my place for the next weeks because it's way too muddy.I got my third dog this winter so it will be a first having the 3 on leash while I'm walking them on a ski doo path/trail.With the 2 dogs I made an Y with 3 leash,dogs walking side by side.I want to had another leash,I was wondering if I should get a longer leash so my alpha could walk in front of the other 2.If I do this,were do I put the alpha,between the 2?Or is there another way to do so.Don't know if it makes a difference but they are goldens,2x 80 pounds and the third one is 103.It should be lots of fun because I'm at 95 right now!I will probably get drag a bit,but they are older so it's no so bad.Any suggestions will be very appreciated.

Suzan
March 10th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Frenchy: Before attempting to walk 3 together, I would make sure each one is taught to walk on a loose lead!
Suzan

Prin
March 10th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I would put the two calmer ones on one side with the Y and the less calm one on the other side so you have more control of him/her.

tenderfoot
March 11th, 2006, 11:01 AM
You need to be walking ahead of or at least beside them. They should not be in front of you at all. You are the Alpha. I would hate to have them see a deer and take off with you dragging behind.:(

Frenchy
March 11th, 2006, 11:18 AM
I know what you mean tenderfoot,they are walking me and it's my fault.I will try to walk them how it's supposed to be this afternoon,no more nice girl!