Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

To vaccinate or not?

Snooky'sMom
March 9th, 2006, 09:21 PM
I'm getting a lot of pressure from my vet to keep my cat's vaccinations up to date (Hey, I'm not even behind at this point but when I try to strech it out a few months I get pressure) but I've read so much on the negative part of too many vaccinations. They are supposed to be good for 5 years or so but the vets keep doing them EVERY year. Their argument was that I need to keep taking my cat in for check ups every year and they are at great risk at the clinic. Well, since they are at the greatest risk at the clinic , it would make sense to take them to the clinic less wouldn't it? I've heard stories about how vaccinations have made pets worse and also getting cancer at the site of injection.

On the other hand even if my cats only gets out for 10 minutes a day (supervised), I would want to make sure they are protected.

How does everyone else feel about it? Are the vets going overboard with it or do you see it as just preventative care?

wdawson
March 9th, 2006, 09:43 PM
i was going to ask the same question ......i got a reminder notice 2 days ago from my vet regarding my 11mth old pup......first booster not due till mid april.
my main question was more about the rabies shot...read somewhere that it should last around three years..........yet the city requires every year for the tags.:confused:

Prin
March 9th, 2006, 09:58 PM
If you have the certificate of vaccination that says the vaccine is valid for 3 years, it should be ok for the license.

wdawson
March 9th, 2006, 10:17 PM
no the reminder list all shot given , and all listed are 1 year to the day , i was wondering more on the rabies shot....i was wondering if yearly is too much? and if it may be i can get a new tag and buy another year before i have to have the vaccine done again......hamilton encourages buying your tags early so the month before it expires will give me a year extra for the rabies shot , if it not healthy for beathoven........vet says yearly........i dunno:confused:

happycats
March 9th, 2006, 10:25 PM
I stopped taking my cats for vaccines LONG ago, because I heard it wasn't necessary, and could possibly be unhealthy. My cats are totally indoor, they do have a caged area off of the basement window, and the window is only opened when we are around, and usually only on nice days, and the mesh used for the cage makes it impossible for any animal to bite or scratch my guys through it, so I don;t believe there is a risk to my guys!

Prin
March 10th, 2006, 01:44 AM
I think you get the rabies at 6 months (for a dog, I mean) and then at a year and a half, and then after that, it's every 3 years. For the distemper "cocktail", it's every 2 years.

Snooky's mom, why not call around and ask other vets what their protocol is? Maybe you'll find one who isn't so enthusiastic about vaccinating..

OntarioGreys
March 10th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Some cities allow for a 3 years rabies vaccine, some are still at the 1 year intervals.

In the US the AMVA is saying that vaccination should not be given every year but that titers should be done to check immunization levels if you are not vaccinating, certain vaccinations may not last and protect your pet of the course of 3 years, for example the bordatella vaccine is only effective for 6 months. A lot of owners donl't want to do the titering because it is more costly than giving vaccines

THe Canadian Medical Veterinary Assoction feels the benefits outweighs the risk as it helps to ensure dogs and cats get to the vet for physicals each each year, if they went the 3 year protocol then many owners would skip the yearly physicals, which could mean things like cancers and organ failures will not be caught iearly enough, also if the vaccine wears off before the 3 years are up your dog could be at risk of contracting a fatal disease.

Snooky'sMom
March 11th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Snooky's mom, why not call around and ask other vets what their protocol is? Maybe you'll find one who isn't so enthusiastic about vaccinating..

I was a bit reluctant to do that because there are some really great people working at this clinic that I've come to know. When I was firm about my senior cat (who died last year) not getting anymore vaccines, they left me alone but now I have this young one and they're back to insisting it must be done. Part of my dilema is that my insurance that I've taken out (only a few months ago) is only good if I keep the vaccines up. That's crazy. I only wanted insurance against things like accidents not viral. However, that's their crazy fine print. I plan on looking for an insurance company that will cover without vaccinations up to date. They didn't tell me that when I signed up.

Snooky'sMom
March 11th, 2006, 01:38 PM
THe Canadian Medical Veterinary Assoction feels the benefits outweighs the risk as it helps to ensure dogs and cats get to the vet for physicals each each year, if they went the 3 year protocol then many owners would skip the yearly physicals, which could mean things like cancers and organ failures will not be caught iearly enough, also if the vaccine wears off before the 3 years are up your dog could be at risk of contracting a fatal disease.

That was my vet's argument. I have no problem taking my cat for a yearly physical without vaccines. I wonder if most people feel this way.

Prin
March 11th, 2006, 04:05 PM
I still have to go in for lepto and heartworm pills every year...

chico2
March 11th, 2006, 05:05 PM
I talked to my vet and said I did not want them rabies vaccinated every year and she actually agreed,but would not do it less than every 2 yrs.
There was also another vaccine that was not needed every year,but I forgot what it was:confused:
My cats do go outside,with supervision,never alone..

mafiaprincess
March 11th, 2006, 08:21 PM
I still have to go in yearly for heartworm pills.. but rabies is every three.. I'll titer test in future instead of getting the dpt and whatever else booster though. I only got it this year since with puppymill heritage goodness knows what her immune system is like.