Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about cats and cranberry pills

xFire Angelx
March 9th, 2006, 06:54 PM
hey guys! ok well my boyfriends cat had a very bad UTI luckily he didnt have any kidney damage but hes on a hill science s/d diet for a couple weeks then the vet will decide what to do after that... now my boyfriend asked about cranberry pills if that would help his cat Theo but the vet would have NOTHING to do with it.. wouldnt even hear of it at all... going to a different vet is out of the question because its the only vet that theres is around them... do you guys know of any good information that i could read to educate myself on felines taking cranberry pills? this was Theos 2nd UTI in a month and we're afraid its going to happen again this time he almost didnt make it because it was so bad
besides the cranberry pills is there anything else that we could do to help prevent this from happening again?
the vet also prescribed some pills for him he needs to take half a pill twice a day i dont have the medication right here with me otherwise id give ya the name of em.

Lucky Rescue
March 9th, 2006, 08:35 PM
How old is the cat? Neutered, eating dry food only?

xFire Angelx
March 10th, 2006, 06:17 AM
hes about 5 y/o yes he's fixed and hes eating dry food only
the vet plans on deciding what kind of diet he needs to be on once hes done with this bag of s/d shes convinced its his diet that caused it but ive read that cats that get 2 utis usually get sveral more and we really want to do everythign we can to prevent him from getting more.. i know how painful those suckers can be.. i take 2 cranberry pills everyday and havent had any problems since and i know its different for cats but i really want to get all the info i can on it
ok enough rambling now im going to bed its hard to keep my eyes open lol

chico2
March 10th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Fire Angel,I would take him off the dry food right away...but that is my opinion.
Also vets very seldom(at least mine)recommend anything not bought from them.There is a gel available from your vet,you add to the cats food,to prevent UTI from happening again.
I used it many years ago on one of my cats and it worked,but maybe it's not available anymore:confused:

kayla
March 10th, 2006, 09:56 AM
I personally would give cranberry a shot. Do they sell cat cranberry pills? I would just make sure you don't give him too much. Cranberry juice acts on the bacteria, making them unable to cling to the sides of the bladder, which is why they work. Since they work on the bacteria, not on the actual human body, I'd assume they would work on the bacteria in the cat's body in the same way. My aunt put a little bit of 100% cranberry juice in her cats water and swore on it (the juice works better than pills, just get the surag-free stuff from health food stores). I don't know exactly how much she used though so I would look into that. It's too bad your vet won't help you out there, I find both animal and human doctors can be so stubborn when it comes to alternative medicines! The only way they'd recommend it is if someone had isolated whatever the chemical in the juice is and could make a profit of prescribing it to you. Good luck!

Lucky Rescue
March 10th, 2006, 10:15 AM
You say he nearly died, so I'm assuming he had a blockage of some sort? Stones?

The reason dry food is not good for cats is very simple. Cats evolved in the desert. They never drank much, since they got their moisture from the muscle tissue of their prey.

Our cats have the same physiology. They still do not drink enough, but now they're eating very dry food.

This causes urine that is very concentrated, in which crystals and stones form.

Start feeding canned only. It's 80% moisture and makes up for the lack of drinking. The water in it helps keeps the bladder flushed out.

jawert1
March 10th, 2006, 10:41 AM
I would also recommend that once the crystals are dissolved and he's in the clear, not using any vet recommended brand of food since generally that's Hill's and well, ick. If he never had crystals to begin with, just the UTI's, then as everyone has already mentioned, a good quality wet food is in order (see Dog/Cat food forum for listing). Glad to see you back xFireAngelx and glad to see Baby's still doin ok all things considered :)

SnowDancer
March 10th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I don't know if this would apply to cats - CYBERKITTEN if you see this maybe you could help. So often people with UTIs are told to drink cranberry juice - which is fine - unless said person happens to have a very acidic PH - I am one of such people and I have been the cranberry route as have many others in my situation and it makes things MUCH worse. I do not have IC - more of a urethral problem, but cranberry works its havoc just the same. If you pull up say the IC diet for people and check out some of the forums you will see all sorts of posts from people that tried so desperately to "cure" their problem with cranberry juice but as in my case made things worse. Also there will be lists of Alkaline foods and Acid foods - problem is they don't account for people who have to watch out for purines and oxalates - e.g. nightshade vegetables, that type of thing. So there will be a recommendation say to eat beets to make the urine more alkaline - but beets are a problem for me. Funny when I was last going through such food lists there were many sites to open for Canine IC. But my ph is seriously bad. If you cat has very acidic urine, the cranberry pills might just make it worse. If your vet has your cat on the canned food to clear crystals, let it run its course. After the required "testing" period, if crystals have dissolved and no further occurrence, then switch foods. Some pets have the problem life long. I stuck with the canned "lard" for one of my dogs for 6 months of absolute "h" as he was a gourmet. He had had 4 stones removed and then was prescribed the canned food as a preventative measure to see if the crystals would reform - he came to us with stones, so the food we fed him was not in question. After 6 months he was clear and resumed his very healthy "med" style diet. Hope your kitty is okay.

xFire Angelx
March 10th, 2006, 01:58 PM
wow thankyou for all the info!
yes Theo had a lot of crystals it blocked his urethra so they had him for 3 night with a cathider(sp) i can completely understand the wet food only and that makes more sense than what the vet has decided to do... Theo is on dry food and she told my boyfriend that he needs to free feed him instead of feeding them twice a day... once this bag of food is gone he will be collecting some urine and taking it in so they can decide on a good diet for him so my boyfriend will make sure ask about wet food instead of dry

Lucky Rescue
March 10th, 2006, 03:17 PM
once this bag of food is gone he will be collecting some urine and taking it in so they can decide on a good diet for him so my boyfriend will make sure ask about wet food instead of dry

I wouldn't wait til the dry food is gone. I would put him on canned right now.

The vet is going to sell him what is on the shelf there, which will probably be prescription dry food. I hope your b/f will say no.

They have prescription canned food, but I have never seen a cat who would eat it!

Cranberries or whatever is not going to help, as it will not dilute his urine to keep it flushed and that is what is needed.

kayla
March 10th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Cranberries or whatever is not going to help, as it will not dilute his urine to keep it flushed and that is what is needed.

I'm confused, the cranberries would add another chemical to his urine but it's a chemical that would help him so why would that be a bad thing? As long as he is drinking lots and peeing lots it will flush him out, regardless of whether he has had cranberry juice or not, right?

I fully agree with what everyone said about the canned food though, and I agree you should start him on it right away rather than wait for the vet's ok.

Lucky Rescue
March 10th, 2006, 06:39 PM
I'm confused, the cranberries would add another chemical to his urine but it's a chemical that would help him so why would that be a bad thing? As long as he is drinking lots and peeing lots it will flush him out,

But he's not going to pee lots as long as he's eating only dry food and not drinking enough water. How do you make a cat drink lots of water? They have a very poor thirst mechanism.

The cranberry helps with bladder infections, but this is a case of urine that is not dilute enough, crystals formed in the concentrated urine and cranberries are not going to dissolve them. By feeding canned, we're not trying to change the Ph of the urine, but to create more/more dilute urine and only water will do that - hence the canned food.

kayla
March 11th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Aaaaah gotcha I was thinking it was like a bladder infection of sorts, my bad! I wonder if you could put something in the water that would make it more tastey but not bad for the cat, like give him some chicken broth or something? I don't know just throwing ideas out there!

SarahLynn123
March 11th, 2006, 01:41 PM
This was my cat 1 month ago! The pills worked but during the pills he was eating canned food only (the vet stuff), as much of the crap he would eat! Then the crystals were gone so he has access to dry food at all times and gets canned food everyday. I went to a natural pet store and they have an all natural additive to add to their food to assist with urinary and kidney problems. Im trying that right now, I add a few drops to his wet food and we have had no problems at all!

We took him off the vets food and put him on a high quality food becasue he was bullying the dogs and eating their food:eek: and I prefer higher quality food, it does wonders for his fur!

There is another thread under dog food and its called something like "whats in the food?" there is a natural pet store you can order from but you will probably have to find out if his urine is more basic or more acidic.

Good luck, hope he gets better fast
Sarah

xFire Angelx
March 11th, 2006, 04:26 PM
wow guys thanks for all the advice
my boyfriend doesnt feel comfortable stopping with the dry food the vet gave him so hes adding a bit of water with it and hoping Theo will eat it like that... if not im gonna ask him to atleast give Theo a can of catfood a day just to make sure hes getting more water
now i dunno if putting a lil water in with the dry food is all that good of an idea but i figured it was worth a try

xFire Angelx
March 14th, 2006, 06:17 PM
ok well Theo isnt doing any better
He is still urinating a small amount its becoming a little more each day but the most he urinates it about a quarter size and its trying to go less often.. i don know if thats a good sign or not
when hes in the litter box hes in there a little longer than usual
he has little appitite but they are giving him a can of wet food a day along with the prescription dry food he drinks a good ammount of water but it really seems that his urine isnt diluted enough
they have literally NO money.... not even enough to pay their bills(their phone has been off for quite some time now and cant even pay rent)
is there ANYTHING they can do to help him? they have one of those needless syringe or whatever they can use to give him more water to help dilute his urine.. should they try that?
he seems to be acting a little weird hiding a bit
i know that can be a bad sign when animals start to hide when their sick... so i am extremly worried

Lucky Rescue
March 14th, 2006, 07:38 PM
If the cat has another blockage, there is nothing to be done at home and his urine will poison him.

He may need surgery. If these people have no money at all, they'll have to euthanize him because death by uremic poisoning is extremely painful.

xFire Angelx
March 14th, 2006, 08:34 PM
well this is how much he has been urinating since he got home from the vet... so im guessing the vet knew he was urinating this much and was guessing he would get better... for my personally i know that after having a really bad uti or kidney infection or anythign you're infecdibly sore for a week or so after its gone so it might just be that hes sore.. id aimagine having a cathidar in for 2 days would make you sore for a good while as well
he is able to urinate so i dont think its blocked i am just worried that its not getting any better any faster

Lucky Rescue
March 14th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Call the vet and describe what the cat is doing and how much time he's spending in the litterbox. Were all the crystals flushed out?

The hiding is not a good sign.

they have one of those needless syringe or whatever they can use to give him more water to help dilute his urine.. should they try that?

It can't hurt. I would do that. Just be careful to dibble it slowly into the side of his mouth so he has time to swallow.

xFire Angelx
March 14th, 2006, 09:04 PM
i do beleive the crystals were all the way flushed out but i am not sure
since the vet is closed now he will have to call the vet tomorrow
thank you so much for your advice i appriciate it so much
we dont want to lose theo but there is literally no money
so unless a miracle happens and we win some money LOL we have to do everything we can to help him at home

chico2
March 15th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Fireangel,about 20yrs ago I had a cat(Tigger),I knew nothing about UTI,I actually thought he was just constipated,until one day he was crying in pain and he had to be pts:sad:
I am not proud of what I did not do for him,or my ignorance at the time and to this day I think of my poor beautiful Maine Coon who died needlessly.
Fortunately treatments have improved today and since they have a regular vet for Theo,hopefully the vet can help out,at least over the phone..
If your friends are worried and there is no great improvment in Theo,please ask them not to wait until it gets unbearable for Theo,then it might be too late.