Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hamiltons new zero tolerance policy

wdawson
March 9th, 2006, 05:31 PM
in todays hamilton spectator.

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=hamilton/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1141858213690&call_pageid=1020420665036&col=1014656511815

wdawson
March 9th, 2006, 05:43 PM
what a cash grab , increase revenue and reduce services. how do they think the kill rate will go down by increasing the fee from $60 to $140 , if an owner is going to drop off a sick pet then to be pts whats $140 as opposed to a larger vet bill these people dont care about the pets anyway. and closing an adoption centre that adopts 10% of these animals , where will they go when the other facillities are at max:eek: or are the other shelters running at 3-5% under capacity,glad to see some uncaring s.o.b can drop of a healthy pet for $65:confused:

Skryker
March 9th, 2006, 09:01 PM
And now, with a higher price, how many more sick animals will just be dumped at the side of the road? Ugh! You'd think if they were going to net an additional 500k a year, they could soak 19k loss and keep the shelter open. Guess 481k in additional revenue is just not enough.:eek:

les
March 10th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Hate to say it .. but I'm not against the issues here.

"Tom Redmond, the city's director of building and licensing, said the program will increase revenue to pay for animal control, while also reducing euthanasia rates and returning lost pets."

So less pets will be euthansied due to being licensed and therefore knowing where/who they belong too. It doesn't say less pets will be euthanised because of higher fees.

Originally Posted By wdawson
how do they think the kill rate will go down by increasing the fee from $60 to $140

I do think all dogs should be licensed. And it's so cheap anyways when your animals are spayed and neutered! I think I paid around $17.00 this year for each dog.

As for the facility they are closing - it's too bad but if they can't make a profit and need bailing out every year then it doesn't make sense to keep them open. That's $19,000 that will be going to animal control hopefully for good reasons.

"Animal control is also increasing its fees for accepting an ill or untreatable animal from $60 to $140. The city has found owners are dropping off their animals -- about 350 cats and 300 dogs a year -- to be killed because it's cheaper than going to a vet.

The cost for surrendering healthy animals will remain lower at $65 to $85."

Originally Posted By wdawson
glad to see some uncaring s.o.b can drop of a healthy pet for $65

That pet can at least be adopted out to a new family! The sick pets that people drop off can't be. Personally, I don't think you should be allowed to drop off your sick pet like that and the price should be much higher then $140! Make it cheaper to take them to the vet!

But, unfortuantely there is no law about stupidity and people will always do the easy thing. And yes, more pets might get dumped at the side of the road and hopefully someone like me or you will happen to pass by and pick them up. I don't think you can change that - no matter what the price is someone will feel it's too much and decide to just dump their pet.

nmacintyre
March 15th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Hello, I'm a reporter at the Spec, actually wrote the article about cracking down on dog owners. I'm writing an article today about the fact the city is considering licensing cats. I'd like you opinion Wayne. Can you call me asap at 526-3299.

Thanks,
Nicole MacIntyre
The Hamilton Spectator