Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Siamese Cat Found, Montreal Downtown

vaderthecat
March 9th, 2006, 03:44 PM
A Siamese cat has been living in my back yard in my cat's cathouse for the past 2-3 days. I'm assuming he/she must be lost. I fed the cat a bit as you can see in the pictures. Email me if this is your lost cat, or even for suggestions on how to locate the owner (other websites, directories, spca? - advice needed). This is in Montreal Quebec, corner of Aylmer St. and Milton St., downtown. The date is March 9th 2006.

email: martinhall@videotron.ca

http://pages.infinit.net/aaraniel/cat1.jpg
http://pages.infinit.net/aaraniel/cat2.jpg
http://pages.infinit.net/aaraniel/cat3.jpg
http://pages.infinit.net/aaraniel/cat4.jpg

chico2
March 9th, 2006, 03:50 PM
He is very pretty,I am not 100% sure,but I believe there might be a Siamese rescue in Montreal.
Some of the rescue-people on here will probably be able to tell you what to do.
He/she looks in pretty good shape,he could just be lost...thank you for feeding him and caring:love:

CyberKitten
March 9th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Ahhh, he is a beautiful Seal Point - assuming he, have you checked, lol?

There is a Quebec Rescue that cares for special breeds like meezers and also one in Ontario and also Siamese Rescue which I am assocated with that works out of the US but adopts cats throughout North America. Or any of the Mtl groups here may want to help so I do not want to step on any toes. He looks well fed from the pict tho so the best bet is to find his owner first if possible - you can advertise on one of the pet sites (ask for a coutresy listing) and the newspapers. He lookspurebred tho it is hard to tell completely. Someone may be searching for him.

Does he act like a typical meezer? Does he talk alot - tho I suppose he is jusr scared right now tho glad to have something to eat. Are you able to keep him innside - meezers do not do well outside and they do miserably in pounds or animal control!!!

Lucky Rescue
March 9th, 2006, 04:53 PM
He looks like an adult intact male with those big cheeks.

Any chance you could get him neutered while you wait? (assuming he's an intact male) If you can do that, and his owners cannot be found, we will help you get him a home. The adoption fee would cover your expense of having him neutered.

Please keep some details about him to yourself, as anyone could claim he's theirs and could have unpleasant reasons for doing so - selling to a laboratory, breeding etc.

I see you just listed him on Canada Strays. Could you remove the details about his colouring and let any one claiming him to describe him instead??

CyberKitten
March 9th, 2006, 06:49 PM
He is also a bit older judging by his colouring but I would not tell that to anyone just yet either. You know how meezers darken as they age - he is at least 4-5 yrs maybe but it may be the ligthing??

I agree with LR re keeping some details and neutering him - and thenrecouping by a fee. People will happily pay $100 plus for a Siamese Seal Point like him. And he does sort of have that swagger - not that you can see it in a still - but you know what I mean - the "swagger" of a Tom, <g>

vaderthecat
March 9th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the reasonable suggestions. I'm going to adopt a "wait and see" strategy for now, hoping optimally that I can find the owner. Otherwise, a neighbor cat lover has offered to rescue him/her, I believe via one of the local rescue groups. I've also called the local SPCA and they suggested I bring him in - unlikely I will do so, knowing what awaits if he isn't claimed. Surprisingly the receptionist said they have many siamese (I presumed exotic would be less destitute). There's also the possibility hes a stray in which case he may move on shortly. As it is he seems healthy, plump, and well groomed, indicating that he is lost...though intactness, which I will try to observe, would probably indicate otherwise.

Regarding oportunists/evildoers, I'll definately be cautious and verify any claims to ownership.

I haven't had much contact with him and haven't observed any behaviors/traits (other than sleeping and eating in the cathouse).

Martin

CyberKitten
March 10th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Please, please ,I beg you - DO NOT take him to the SPCA, meezers (Siamese do so badly there - they are almost always put down because they freak out, they need human companionship and cry all the time they are there and so the workers often just put them to sleep unless some good soul calls a Siamese or other rescue!!!

BMDLuver
March 10th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Please, please ,I beg you - DO NOT take him to the SPCA, meezers (Siamese do so badly there - they are almost always put down because they freak out, they need human companionship and cry all the time they are there and so the workers often just put them to sleep unless some good soul calls a Siamese or other rescue!!!
That would not be an accurate statement. There are three rescues who take the exotics from Jean Talon if they cannot be adopted.

Vaderthecat, after 5 days the cat is legally yours if it does not leave as that is the holding time for the SPCA. As he is intact, it would be best after that time to get him neutered even prior to giving to the neighbour. The cost would be $40 plus tax without vaccinations if you wish me to arrange that. Perhaps the neighbour would be willing to cover that cost? Just some thoughts.

vaderthecat
March 10th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Ok for sure no spca.

I saw him for the first time outside of the cathouse. I think hes been lost for quite a while, he is not well groomed as i originally thought, infact quite knotted up. Heres what I mean:

http://pages.infinit.net/aaraniel/cat5.jpg
http://pages.infinit.net/aaraniel/cat6.jpg

I'm going to make sure he gets to a reliable animal rescue service here in montreal. I'll ask the cat lady (neighbor) tomorrow. Thanks again for all the advice.

Martin

chico2
March 11th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Poor baby,it looks like he's been on his own for a while.
How sad to see such a beautiful cat in this state.I could be wrong,but it also looks like he has something wrong with his eyes.
The matting would be very uncomfortable for him,but probably the least of his problems:sad:
I hope there is a solution for him.

badger
March 11th, 2006, 08:42 AM
The problem is that rescues generally do not have facilities where they can take this cat temporarily; and there is a shortage of foster homes in Montreal as well. However, if you agreed to bring this fellow inside, people could help you get him neutered, his eyes treated, etc. and then work on a foster/adoption situation. Are you in a position to do this? Because obviously that would be the best for him.

BMDLuver
March 11th, 2006, 09:07 AM
The Westmount Cat Lady would be his best choice. He'll get all that he needs with her. http://www.westmountcatlady.com/

chico2
March 11th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Wow,she has so many beautiful purebreds,maybe she would take this beauty too:fingerscr

BMDLuver
March 11th, 2006, 10:08 AM
She has what she refers to as the Lemon Grove and those that will not be able to be adopted, are part of the Lemon Grove. She has a facility (apartment) completely designed for cats now.

Lucky Rescue
March 11th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Do you know if he's friendly - can be handled?

He doesn't look too well - rhino at the very least. He needs vet care now.

vaderthecat
March 11th, 2006, 11:44 AM
He Seems friendly but scared, hisses at first, but allows you to pet him. Anyways the wheels are in motion. Currently hes eating and drinking - thats a good sign. On monday, hes going to the vet for a checkup and a snip. After that we'll find him a home. Lots of people here concerned. the fee is no issue for us.

Just a side note, my neighbor says that the cat is himalayan? I think shes just wrong on that, thoughts?

Martin

vaderthecat
March 11th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Oh, as to taking him inside. We have 2 cats that already have a sort of peeing problem whom we don't want to antagonize. However, I don't think its necessary, he loves the cathouse, which btw is very well insulated. Plus hes just got 2 days before we take him to the vet. Very lovely day today and tomorrow, about 8 degrees outside.

Martin

Lucky Rescue
March 11th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Please do not give this cat to anyone without charging an adoption fee of at least 100$, and having them sign a contract with you. I can provide the contract if you like. I'll send it to your email addy!

Many people will take a purebred cat if it's free, but since it cost them nothing they may see him as worthless and not pay for vet care when he needs is.

This is definitely not a Himalayan. They are Persians and have VERY long fur.

t.pettet
March 11th, 2006, 08:57 PM
What if he disappears between now and his vet appt. Are you willing to take that chance?

goldsteinjanet
October 12th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Hi: Could you tell me if the cat that was found was a male neutered seal point, around 13 years old. Dark brown back, tail, ears, face and a cream throat? Clawed. Large blue eyes? I lost my siamese, September 19th, Friday, and have been looking for him. It is possible that someone may have driven downtown with the cat and dumped him. Thanks. We would very much appreciate a reply. goldsteinjanet@yahoo.com.

goldsteinjanet
October 12th, 2008, 11:25 PM
I just noticed that the cat was found 2006. Yikes. I lost my cat a few weeks ago, and we are in 2008. What good is posting notices from 2006? Who edits this website any way?:sleepy:

growler~GateKeeper
October 12th, 2008, 11:26 PM
What good is posting notices from 2006? Who edits this website any way?:sleepy:

The original notice was posted in 2006.

badger
October 13th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Goldsteinjanet, I suggest you start a new lost thread, with a picture.
Good luck!