Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

a sad ad...everyday there's another...

lezzpezz
March 9th, 2006, 11:14 AM
from London Classifieds online:

im looking for a free toy breed dog or puppy for my son, must be good with children,cats and dogs you can contact me at *******@hotmail.com

Sigh.....free = can't afford to take care of a pet properly, won't vaccinate etc. just a new toy for the boy.....

This on the heels of an issue with the fella whose dog I walk....

He says that when his friend visits her daughter and her newborn, the daughters' dog goes ballistic and is very protective of the baby. He asked what a solution to this was and I suggested some serious training and in the mean time, to put the dog in a separate area of the home, (not crate trained), so the family can enjoy some unhindered safe quality time together.

Well the dog tore up the bedroom and ripped apart the doorframe....

So, they have decided to "give" the dog to someone else and asked me who they could pawn the dog off on:eek:

Needless to say, I was livid with this as this is just another typical case of a perfectly healthy untrained dog being passed on because it is acting normally for a dog with no obedience training. Owner to lazy to deal with this unlucky dog. :mad:

The best I could suggest was to have the family call the Humane Society or another rescue group that MAY take the dog IF they can squeeze it in! I am ashamed of people like this, who ask me for help and I lay the reality to them, which they never like to hear...THEN DON'T ASK ME TO SOLVE YOUR DOGS PROBLEMS WITH AN ANSWER YOU WON'T BE BOTHERED TO ADHERE TO!!:yuck:

Kymi_mac
March 9th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Unfortunately, some person posts on kijiji.ca a few times a day looking for a free toy dog. I was shocked the first time I saw this.:eek: The nerve of asking strangers to just hand over a pet! Lets hope nobody is silly enough to actually give them a dog. Too bad there isn't someplace they could go and look for a dog that somebody else didn't want (at a very fair price).:D Maybe this person should grab a clue and check out their local shelter!!:evil:

**stepping off soapbox now**

Kym

Soroush
March 9th, 2006, 04:46 PM
What exactly is wrong with wanting to adopt a dog for free? and what is wrong with wanting it for your son?

Do you all adopt dogs so jesus will forgive your sins, or do you do it for a 2 way pleasure(for you and the dog)?

The person wants the pleasure of having a dog without having to pay the stupid money Pet-stores charge. Maybe they can't afford to pay $1000 for a dog? Maybe they don't know where to go to rescue a dog? Why should they be flammed?

To be honest, I wouldn't mind getting my beautiful puppy for free either, and I made sure I paid as little as possible for her, so I could have some money for her unavoidable vet-bills and other expenses.

Stop labeling everyone out there as animal-haters. At the end of the day, the health and well-being of humans should be the number one priority, not how much dogs are priced at.

chico2
March 9th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Boy,where did that come from:confused:
We all agree of course,the health and wellbeing of humans is important,but another living being,be it a dog,cat or a monkey is every bit as deserving of love and care.
Nobody here advocates going to a Pet-Store to buy a dog/puppy,the prices at rescues are very reasonable,why anybody would expect to get a"toy-puppy"for free,is beyond me:mad:
The wording of the ad,specifies a toy-puppy for her little boy,a stuffed dog would be a better choice!!

Soroush
March 9th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Boy,where did that come from:confused:
We all agree of course,the health and wellbeing of humans is important,but another living being,be it a dog,cat or a monkey is every bit as deserving of love and care.
Nobody here advocates going to a Pet-Store to buy a dog/puppy,the prices at rescues are very reasonable,why anybody would expect to get a"toy-puppy"for free,is beyond me:mad:
The wording of the ad,specifies a toy-puppy for her little boy,a stuffed dog would be a better choice!!

I agree with you and think the word "toy" there might be a reference to a "toy" breed like "toy poodle". That's how I look at it anyway(trying to stay positive!)

Soroush
March 9th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Reading the ad again, I think I was right. All they're asking for is a "toy breed" dog for free, not a toy for her son!

chico2
March 9th, 2006, 05:09 PM
I understand she means a toy-breed,a little pup probably the least suitable for a small child.

CyberKitten
March 9th, 2006, 05:19 PM
It is not the person so much as there is no such entitty as a free animal!!!! If you cannot afford the pet, how are you going to afford the vet care, food, etc. Plus, read the Danger for Free to Good Home ads posted here - then you will understand why we are all so upset by this!!! I would NEVER give away any animal for free - all animals are valuable and desrve to have the best home possible. That does not preclude people with ecoomic probs but it does preclude people who cannot afford a dog s=and think one can be obtained for free for the asking, That just makes me so furious!

benuasalbarb
March 9th, 2006, 11:38 PM
I agree with the other comments if you can't afford to pay something for an animal then you should not have one. There are lots of rescue breeds arround even for pedigree animals that owners circumstances have changed I know in Roguh Collies we have a super rescue but they do expect a donation of at least 50 for a collies although they do support vet bills for people that foster oldies.
In the few days I have been on this site I am quite shocked that pet stores in America still sell puppies this is banned in Britain.
I occasionally have a litter of pups and would never sell a pup to a big breeder or through the free adds papers in fact have never advertised as the local breed clubs always pass people on.

Barbara

mastifflover
March 9th, 2006, 11:50 PM
I agree this person is looking for a toy breed to be a toy for her kid. Toy breeds are not the type of dog for a child. They are fragile and how will they afford the vet bills when the dog gets hurt. We who have been here a long time know the answer dump the dog again. Or when the dog nips the kid dump the dog

OntarioGreys
March 10th, 2006, 01:49 AM
A toy breed is totally not a choice around small shildren, and a puppy may or may not be good with chidren, cats and other dogs, as the personality won't be totally known until it matures, as for wanting a pet for your child.... another mistake, a dog is not a toy or plaything, if you want to to get a dog then your view should be that you are bringing into your home with the intention as it being a member of the family not a possession. She may very well get her free dog, but it will probably be one with some behavioural problems that the current owner wants to pawns off, and I doubt very much that she will be ready willing to put the effort and possibly money into training for the dog

Luvmypit
March 10th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Soroush
Here is why:

Why "Free To Good Home" Ads Are A Bad Idea!

What Could Happen To An Animal From A "Free To Good Home" Ad?
Tortured or killed by animal abusers
Sold to research labs for experiments
Used as bait for fighting dogs
Victims of neglect

What Is A "Buncher?"
A buncher either steals or "adopts" companion animals for the purpose of selling the animal. Bunchers can sell animals for one or more of the following reasons:

To be used in research labs
To be used as bait, for example, to train dogs in fighting rings
To be used as breeding stock in puppy mills or catteries

"Bunchers" can be very deceptive and they prey on people who place "free to good home" ads. They will sometimes use children as part of the ploy and present themselves as a "perfect" family. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

What To Do If You See A "Free To Good Home" Ad
Whether it is in a newspaper or on the Internet, please take a moment and contact the person who is running the ad. Let them know about the dangers of "Free To Good Home" ads and tell them to proceed very carefully with the adoption, including copying identification (driver's license), checking references, performing a home check before the adoption, using a signed application and contract, and doing follow-ups.

Do not feel embarrassed to contact the person behind the ad. You will find that many people are grateful that you took the time to inform them of dangers they were unaware of. Click here for a sample letter (opens in a new window).

Moreover, please contact your local newspaper and ask them to run a warning about placing "Free To Good Home" ads.

lezzpezz
March 10th, 2006, 05:52 PM
I called yet another one about a 4 month old beagle puppy for free, but was too late...her voice mail said, "the puppy is already gone but thanks for your interest..."

Too late.....

I plan on sending your post in to the local paper and ask them to please advise against offering animals for free, if they'll even consider it as it's a pretty bad rag-ola!:p

But worth a shot.....

Thanks, Luvmypit, for painting such a vivid and clear picture of what could be.....sad as it is....

Frenchy
March 10th, 2006, 08:19 PM
I know these add too well,I look at them everyday,since I'm a foster for a rescue,if there is goldens to give,I'm there!I just saw one that confirms what luvmypitt wrote;a woman who gave away her german sheperd to a man 3 months ago called that same guy to find out how the dog was doing.The guy told her;oh,the dog,it ran away or got stolen,I put up adds for missing dog.The lady looked for the adds but never find them!Now she is asking if anyone knows where the dog is.I didn't have the courage to wrote to her my toughts on this,it's too late anyways.I used to answer these adds;please don't give your dog,explaining the dangers,even putting my own adds about it.I had some rude answers (didn't bother me) or people just don't believe it.Said I must be crazy and to mind my own business.Nice people!

AshleyMic
March 14th, 2006, 12:45 PM
I think one of the biggest problems is that people dont think enough about what getting an animal means. When you adopt or buy an animal that furbaby is your responsibility for it's whole life. That means providing it with nutrition, shelter, love, training and of course health care. Animals are dependent on their owners for everything. If someone wants an animal for free it more then likely means they cannot afford to pay a fee which in turn means they will probably not be able to afford the many costs associated with raising an animal properly. If god forbid your pet gets sick vet bills can be very expensive, before you get an animal you must think about whether or not you would be willing to spend possibly thousands of dollars getting your pet healthy again, whether you have the time needed to train your pet, whether you have enough time to give the animal the attention it deserves?? whether you are prepared to go home after work every night to take the dog out (in freezing cold weather) and feed the cat. There is so much to consider. I know when I adopted Dale it was a lifetime commitment, one I am only too happy to make. Animals cannot be thought of as toys, toys can be disposed of when a person loses interest- animals CANNOT