Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Happy International Womens day!

Luvmypit
March 8th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Just thought I would say a happy day to you all fine ladies!

Women have come a long way. We are still not there yet but were getting there.

Just wanted to know from you what woman in your life has inspired you?

Mine is my mom. Given up for adoption at age 6 b/c her moms new BF didn't want someone elses kids. She was adopted by one of the first single woman allowed to adopt in Canada. Her adopted mom was an alcoholic and needless to say my mom spent most of her time at Loretta Abby all girls scool with mean nuns and Priests.
She inspired me b/c all through growing up she went that extra mile to make sure all her kids were happy, playing sports, in school, socially and emotionally. She was my rock and still is.
My mom has accepted my step daughter with open arms as she sees that my SD has had much of the struggles she has had. I never would have realized that my mom had such a hard life because she knows all to well what a great mother consists of. I guess she is a natural!

So what woman or women inspired you to be the woman or... man that you are>?

CyberKitten
March 8th, 2006, 03:25 PM
I always celebrate International Women's Day and am proud to call myself a feminist - a word many do not understand these days. I have always thought of the European beginnings of Internationa Women's Day where it is a much bigger deal - almost like May Day and in fact a national holiday in many of the former Eastern block countries. The North American version of course comes from garmet workers in NYC.

I have had so many mentors that I could not point to one single woman as my inspiration. My mom of course who was the first woman in many education areas and both my grandparents, one an Irish immigrant who was a wonderful nurse who ensured everyone was treated equally in "her" ER and my maternal grandmother who was of the first women to practice medicine in Nova Scotia - and also volunteered at the Margaret Sanger Clinic in NYC when promoting birth control was illegal.

I have also benefited from so many great teachers, Seour Georges Marie in grade six who gave me courage to be unafraid to take on a leadership role even if I was a girl, yet another nun at the Convent of the Sacred Heart who encouraged me and showed me that women can aspire to higher education and learning for its sake alone and women politicians like Alexa McDonough who I am proud to call a friend even if we do not always vote the same way, lol - and Flora MacDonald who was couragous in seeking the Tory leadership in 1976. I am also inspired weekly by the indefeatable and brilliant medical ethics professor and pediatrician (who also happens to be a nun) Dr. Nuala Kenny of Dalhousie University. She was my mentor when I first started in pediatrics and she continues to lead the way in coping with the delicate decisions we are often forced to make in my work.

I salute the many unsing heroes - women who day in and day out make small advances for the cause of women's rights in often diffcult situations and in some situations that thwart their own career. Sticking your neck out is not always easy and it's why many sit on the sidelines. I was brought up not to be a cheerleader but to be a player and I hope all women aspire to that. We can cheer for others at the same time mind you but women still have far to go to be full partners in this society. We need more women in politics, at the top of business but more importantly, women at all levels of society - not just middle class with an education - to have access to education, health care and support! As the late and also a beloved friend of mine - Rosemary Brown once opined, "none of us has made until we all have".

Given the current circumstances, Ms. Brown's propehecy is yet to be fulfuilled in Canada. There are still wiomen and families struggling day in and day out to make ends meet and until each and every one of them can say they have made it, our work is not complete!!

Happy International Women's Day!

Prin
March 8th, 2006, 04:43 PM
The women that have inspired me are very diverse... Not too much family in there, mainly political figures and others who have challenged the system and beat it. :highfive:

I just wish the younger generation would appreciate that feminism is not dead.

Frenchy
March 8th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Still a long way to go as for being equal.My job used to be a "man's job".Now that more women do it,the salary dropped,those man used to be assistant,had a company car with gaz,3 weeks vacation right from the start,me;no company car,took me 5 years to have 3 weeks vacation (even if I worked for the same company for 18 years,but a different branch) the salary is good,but it should be more.OK,sorry,this is more like a rant,but living alone and own a house,I get frustrated sometimes,I see coworkers,as young as 25,and they make more than me.We pay more for everything too,why is that shaving cream for woman cost more than for man? (I buy the man's stuff) Well,we did get flowers....

Prin
March 8th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Oh, women's razors are more expensive too. Women's undies, women's clothing...

So much still has to be done. Being equal means not being forced to have a career and not being looked down on for being a stay at home mom.

To me, part of being equal is about teaching the men how not to treat us too. The message to boys these days is that women aren't respectable and they're just there for sex and looking pretty. One day, the veluptuous intelligent woman will become the fashion icon.:fingerscr

mummummum
March 8th, 2006, 08:22 PM
I'm BoldIntelligentTalentedCourageous andHonest

and proud of it.

Frenchy
March 9th, 2006, 11:37 AM
WOOHOO !!! I'm a bitch too! In my earlier post I forgot to mention that I'm VERY thankful to all the women who fought for our rights since the beginning of times.

Prin
March 9th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Well the gazette yesterday had an article that said that 67% of working women are still in jobs in education, health and sales- same as 10 years ago. Worse still, the percentage of women in senior positions dropped from 27% in 1996 to 22% today- nearly the same as TWO decades ago. And we're still earning $0.71 for every dollar a man makes.

Feminism is not dead. It's just at the low part between waves, IMO.

Katze
March 9th, 2006, 12:15 PM
I would like to propose a toast to all the women animal rescuers, who dedicate themselves to and predominate this noble and worthy cause.

Georgiapeaches
March 9th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Well happy Women's Day ladies!

I just finished reading an excellent book, "Race Against Time" by Stephen Lewis, and there is definitely a ways to go for all women around the world.

CyberKitten
March 9th, 2006, 04:07 PM
I certainly second that Georgia - I have worked with Drs without Borders in Africa and other countries but esp in Africa and in my specalty I worked with children with AIDs who if they lived in this party of the world would not be dying! The same is truie for their mothers - the children would not be orphans. We are letting down an entire continent and I find it so frustrating!! I havve not yet read that bnook but want to.

I feel strongly as someone of Irish descent that while the world stood by as Ireland went from 8 million to 3.5 million people in 4 years (1/2 to starvation, 1/2 to emigration which sometimes meant death), that it is incumbent upon me to stand up for people in Africa and do what I can to stop that halocaust beacuse that is what it is. We will all be judged very harshly be future populations. I wish I could convince more people of that, sigh!!