Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppies with fleas

teddybear1003
March 8th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Our puppy has fleas. He has been given 2 applications of advantage by the vet. He still has them. Not alot but enough to cause itching. I don't think that the advantage is working. What do you use or would reccommend for him. I hate seeing those little things crawling on him.

Lucky Rescue
March 8th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Advantage should certainly take care of the flea problem. Are you sure he still has fleas on him? He could be itching from something else.

jessi76
March 8th, 2006, 02:41 PM
you should know that if your pup has fleas, then your house does too. and if you don't get rid of them, the cycle never ends. Wherever your pup has been allowed to go in the house could be infested. Be sure to vacuum thoroughly (DAILY for a couple weeks) - vacuum not just carpeting, but couches, and any upholstered furniture. wash any and all of the pup's bedding. any and all blankets/pillows he's had access to.

you can also make a homemade flea trap:
get a shallow dish (like dinner plate) - put on floor. cover the surface w/ a mix of water & dish soap. Put a lamp or some lightsource next to the plate - turn all other lights off. Leave this on overnight. Fleas will be drawn out of the carpet to the warmth of the lamp - they will fall into the water on the plate - and not get out because the dish soap changes the surface tension of the water. if you caught any, discard in the morning.

my pup had fleas around xmas time (nice present, huh?) and by cleaning diligently, using a topical flea preventative on him & my cats, and setting traps I got rid of the fleas (fast!). I did catch fleas w/ my trap - so I know it does work.

be sure to treat the pup, any other animals you have, and your home - to be sure to put an end to fleas.

good luck - fleas are not fun!

Lucky Rescue
March 8th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Another good way to get rid of fleas is to buy a flea collar, cut it up and put it in your vacuum bag!

PetFriendly
March 8th, 2006, 06:17 PM
We just had fleas here too... I used Revolution on both cats and the dog. The good thing about Revolution is that the pesticide gets into their fur, skin and dander so as the animals made their way around the house they left behind flea killing remnants. The vet gave me two months worth for all animals just to make sure but within days of applying it no one was scratching anymore. (Stick with the more expensive vet meds for fleas... Going the cheap route is how we got them in the first place.)

We don't have carpet so maybe it was easier, but I bought some Kodiak brand premise spray to treat the furniture and made sure to vacuum or sweep daily. I washed all the bedding/beds for all the animals including the dogs coats. i also washed all the human bedding. Everything was washed in hot water and left in the dryer for an extra long time (over an hour when it usually only takes 40 minutes if that.)

Keep in mind that its winter and depending on how you heat your house, the dog might only have dry skin.

Prin
March 8th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Another good way to get rid of fleas is to buy a flea collar, cut it up and put it in your vacuum bag!
But doesn't that blow it around the house? A lot of those collars have the same chemical as in nerve gas...:eek: