Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Celebritries and Causes

Shamrock
March 7th, 2006, 03:56 PM
The seal hunt has again garned a lot of controversy, and this years visit by Sir Paul and wife has added even more.

Pop star Bono is another example of one whose been very vocal in speaking out on political matters.

Both have been sharply criticized by some for butting in on issues of another country, while others admire their committment and zeal.

Every person has a right to voice opinions of course, but with their fame and prominence.. they carry a great deal of weight with their views.

Do you see these press conferences, these photo shoots, as a type of self-serving and indulgent grandstanding?
Is it inappropriate for famous non-Canadians to be interjecting themselves in our political or industry practices?

Or do you believe that its their right to do so in any way they see fit?

Rick C
March 7th, 2006, 04:11 PM
They, like anyone else, have a right to express their opinion.

For celebrities, however, there can be a cost.

Tom Cruise fervently believes in the idiocy of Scientology. He was doing okay with that until he decided to make it an agenda item . . . . and then his image sank like a stone. Without doubt it ended up costing him financially and Steven Spielberg is said to be pretty mad at him given all this came up when War of the Worlds came out, many blaming the lack of box office on Cruise's image.

In a similar vein, some thought the Dixie Chicks had destroyed their careers with their dissing of GW Bush on a stage in London . . . . and while there were protests at their future concerts, by and large the country music crowd kept right on supporting their music. No cost to them.

Being an activist hasn't hurt Angelina Jolie . . . . and its probably helped her quite a bit.

Funny you should bring it up though because seconds ago I got an e-mail from the Humane Society in the USA, a personal letter from the McCartney's illustrated with pictures of them on the ice pack with a white-coated seal pup and then a solo picture of those pleading eyes from another white-coat seal pup.

The letter was asking for financial aid.

The problem I have with the letter and the other grip and grin opportunities on the pack ice that we've been seeing is the blatant false advertising . . . . . white coat pups aren't hunted but they certainly sell well.

And no, I'm not a fan of the seal hunt.

I think if they're going to stick their name behind it, they should represent the reality.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
March 7th, 2006, 07:03 PM
To me, the credibility goes with being involved. Bono, and a lot of the others are not involved. They preech, but they don't DO. Jolie appears to do. Oprah appears to do, too. They're not just talking about it; they're over there and getting their hands dirty. To me that's the best way to make charity and causes boost your image rather than hinder it.

(BTW, taking pics on the ice with seal pups is still not doing. IMO...)

CyberKitten
March 8th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Paul is still my fav Beatle but I was utterly furious to see him and his wuife used that way - and the way the seak hunt was portrayed was completely wrong. I oppose the hunt but they posed with a tiny baby seal and hunting of these babies has been banned for 20 yrs so I really hate any group promoting anything using a false photography or pho op in this case. And on CNN, I found Heather Miills to be really obnoxious - she kept interupting Danny Williams - he was just trying to make his point.

Now, I am not a vegan but I would never wear fur or eat seal meat. The idea disgusts me just as much as that photo op. I think they sincerely meant well but it was all played out soooo badly!!! (At least from the perspective of Atlabtic Canada and Canada for that matter). No local reporters were allowed except one CP woman (Chris Moriis) who is the only one to report on the seal snapping at Heather Mills.

I have adored Paul forever!! I still do - but he is misinformed on this issue. And the sad reality is that it won't change much. Sealers make very little on it and most only kill a few seals - the busiest make it 30^ of their market. Someone needs to come up with other employment opportunities for these men (and it is mostly men), photo ops won't do it.

I felt angry and sad about this, all at the same time, thinking "Oh Paul, how could you be taken in like this? You are so much smarter than this!!"

Prin
March 8th, 2006, 05:35 PM
But aren't the seals considered adults at something like a month old, when they've lost their baby fur? That's still killing babies, IMO.

Luvmypit
March 10th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Ya that is what I heard too Prin. So its terribly wrong to kill a seal cub under a month but as soon as 31 days come kill away?

I may be ignorant about this but i heard the same.

Rick C
March 10th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Ya that is what I heard too Prin. So its terribly wrong to kill a seal cub under a month but as soon as 31 days come kill away?

I may be ignorant about this but i heard the same.

I don't think anyone in this thread is promoting the seal hunt.

I was just saying it appears to be a lot easier to sell the anti-clubbing argument with a white seal than it is with a grey or brown seal that's a little bigger.

What else can we conclude given the Humane Society, the McCartney's and other groups opposed to this hunt consistently use white coats - which aren't hunted - versus the brown and grey seals that are?

The anti-seal group has a good argument without embellishing it with false optics.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
March 10th, 2006, 06:23 PM
No it wasn't your comments Rick, it was this one from CK:
I oppose the hunt but they posed with a tiny baby seal and hunting of these babies has been banned for 20 yrs so I really hate any group promoting anything using a false photography or pho op in this case.

White coats aren't hunted, but babies certainly are.

Shamrock
March 11th, 2006, 01:59 AM
The anti-seal group has a good argument without embellishing it with false optics.

I totally agree.
Baby seals are not synonymous with the colour white.

chico2
March 11th, 2006, 08:36 AM
I don't believe Paul is being used,I saw him,his wife and Alec Baldwin on Larry King,talking about and showing the horrific video from China,regarding the Cat/Dog-fur business.
If being famous can help stop some of the cruelty in the world and open peoples eyes,is to me nothing but a good thing:thumbs up

jiorji
March 11th, 2006, 07:53 PM
well....to me the seal hunt should be ended. I don't see the reason behind killing an animal unless it's for survival. You're fine surviving on chicken and pork so why be greedy. And yes I know the seals aren't being hunted for meat...but who knows, there's thousands of animals being hunted somewhere in the world for the craziest things!

anyways, back on track, I think Bono and Paul Mcartney are doing something good for the world. People listen to celebrities and at times it's good timing. I think Bono has done some very outstanding work for peace and other poor countries and has used his celebrity status well for that. But the man's also a drama queen. Just cos you're a celebrity it doesn't mean you can throw a hissy fit everytime you don't get your way.
I can't remember exactly what happened, but he and Paul Martin didn't agree on something, and all of a sudden the friendship was off. lol ...i thought that was funny.

chico2
March 12th, 2006, 08:59 AM
The reason Bono became "huffy"was because he was disappointed in Martin and the amount of money Canada was giving to help Africa.
For as long as I can remember,even growing up in Sweden,I heard about the seal-hunt in Canada:sad:
Natives who hunt and use every bit of the animal are not included in this forever protest.But clubbing animals to death,discarding their sometimes still living bodies,to supply furs for status-hungry people in countries like Russia and China,should not be acceptable in a country like Canada.

mastifflover
March 12th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Bono was pissed because shockingly a politician did not live up to his word. Bet you find that surprising. Hey all the power to them if they help to end poverty, aids, the seal hunt I am all for it. It is not like they do not donate their own money because they do so at least it is not all lip service. I agree ban the hunt it is barbaric