Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ear Infections

shelbell1028
March 7th, 2006, 02:53 PM
I have a 5 year old yellow lab who has CONSTANT ear infections. I was told in November that he has allergies to a couple of different trees and my only option would be to start giving him monthly allergy shots. Besides the fact that the vet charged me over $600 to tell me this, the shots are too expensive for me to afford every month. But I dont want my dog to suffer anymore! Its getting to the point where I am afraid he is going to lose his hearing! Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been trying to research some natural remedies, but havent had much luck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Prin
March 7th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Are you sure it's only the trees? If it was, wouldn't the allergies fluctuate with the seasons and with the pollen counts? Have you tried eliminating a food allergy?

shelbell1028
March 7th, 2006, 03:17 PM
We did eliminate the food allergies. All that showed up on the allergy testing was an allergy to some trees. Without the paperwork in front of me....I think it was cedar & there was a couple of others. None were severe allergies though, the vet called them light to moderate. His allergies are all year long though. This is a constant, daily thing. I'm just getting frustrated b/c nothing seems to work and I know it hurts him. I'm sure you know, but the itching gets so bad sometimes that blood is literally dripping from his ears......

Prin
March 7th, 2006, 03:28 PM
How did you eliminate the food allergies? I'm wondering because if I wanted environmental and food allergy tests done, they would have been way over $600... What are you feeding him now?

shelbell1028
March 7th, 2006, 03:36 PM
We did a few months on a couple separate hypo-allergenic foods but the symptons never cleared. He currently eats a regular adult dog food. I also eliminated all treats when doing the food allergy testing and that didnt make a difference either. A vet once recommended having his ears looked at through a scope. But that involves putting him under and the price was ridiculous. My biggest mistake was cancelling the puppy insurance I had when I first got him! Then $$ wouldnt be an issue.

Prin
March 7th, 2006, 03:44 PM
But what food are you feeding? The problem is a lot of the so-called hypo-allergenic foods have wheat and corn in them anyway, which are two important causes of allergies in dogs.

shelbell1028
March 7th, 2006, 03:50 PM
I will have to check on what we did give him. It was what the vet recommended. When the first didnt produce a change, they recommended another. I will check and get back to you.

Prin
March 7th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Ok, but the idea is to feed the dog food with ingredients that he has never had before. If the foods have major ingredients that overlap, there's no point. Most people try a lamb and rice food or a fish and potato food if they suspect allergies and the dog has already been exposed to chicken.

Most of the vet recommended foods are loaded with corn, so they're basically useless.

coppperbelle
March 7th, 2006, 08:24 PM
I see where Prin is going with this and I agree with her 100%. If this were my dog the first thing I would do is try a food change. I would try a food like Natural Balance, Duck and potato and eliminate everything else from the diet for at least 6 weeks . If of course the problem worsens then you may have to try another food. Wellness for example has a duck formula for allergies.
Often vets don't know alot about dog food and recommend the food they sell. Vet foods are expensive and the quality of ingredients are not good.
Since putting my dogs on an all natural food (Solid Gold) neither have had an ear infection or even dirty ears.
Many dogs with this problem have an improvement once they change foods to a more natural food that does not contain corn, wheat, or gluten.

jawert1
March 7th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Often vets don't know alot about dog food and recommend the food they sell. Vet foods are expensive and the quality of ingredients are not good.
Since putting my dogs on an all natural food (Solid Gold) neither have had an ear infection or even dirty ears.

I second that coppperbelle, neither Simon nor Peaches has had ear probs or yeast probs since switching them to Solid Gold Wolf King, not to mention Simon's actually gained weight and both of them have normal stools (Peach used to get what I called Shepherd stomach once a month).