Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Two Labs kill Pomeranian, attack Pit Bull

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
March 7th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Just another example of Bill 132 endangering the public . . .

http://www.wellandtribune.ca/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentid=4958&catname=Local+News&classif=News+%2D+Local

Toughen up bylaws
Weekend dog attack in Port Colborne leads call for tougher animal control policies

By ALLAN BENNER, Tribune Staff
Local News - Tuesday, March 07, 2006 @ 09:00
PORT COLBORNE - Eric Arenburg ran outside Saturday to find Freddy, the family’s five-year-old dog, lying dead where he’d been tied out that morning.

The two dogs that had apparently killed the purebred pomeranian stood over his lifeless little body.

It was a frantic telephone call from a neighbour across from their Cross Street home that alerted him to the trouble.

“She was yelling on the phone, telling me to go out front,” the 20-year-old recalled.

But by the time he got to Freddy’s side and chased away the two mixed breed black labs, it was much too late.

“He was torn almost in half,” Eric told The Tribune.

Eric grabbed a baseball bat and chased the dogs around the corner onto McRae Avenue.

He followed them for two blocks onto Johnson Street where they attacked a second dog a little pit bull.

While continuing his pursuit of the dogs, Eric yelled to the pit bull owners to call the police.

The dogs led Eric to their home on Johnson Street, but their owner wasn’t home. Instead, a neighbour put the dogs in his garage.

Eric loved that dog, he said, but it was even more precious to his mother Edie.

“He was my baby,” she cried. “I know that sounds really silly, but to me that’s what he was.

“Every move I made he was at my heels, as soon as I moved on the couch, he was at my feet. When I got out of bed in the morning, he was right there shaking and waiting for me. He’s going to be missed a great deal.”

Freddy was tied out that morning just as he had been everyday since since he came to live with the family about four years ago. The family always kept him on his leash, trying to keep him safe.

The fact that Freddy died so violently despite their efforts left Edie speechless.

“Words can’t describe the feeling,” she said.

It’s not the first time the dogs had been terrorizing the neighbourhood.

“They have killed at least one other dog that I know of,” Edie said. “And they attacked my dog two years ago.”

At that time, she said a friend was walking him along the road when the same two dogs attacked him. She’s seen the same two dogs running loose many times since.

“When I went over and found out where they were living, three or four of the neighbours came out and were complaining about the dogs too,” Eric added. “They couldn’t let their dogs out because these dogs would attack them.”

As of Monday afternoon, the dogs were being held at the humane society’s Port Colborne shelter. And Edie hopes that’s where they remain.

“They’d better not be set free again,” she warned.

Welland and District Humane Society manager Ted Bettle said the humane society is limited in determining penalties by municipal bylaws.

And they’ve been lobbying to add some teeth to Port’s animal control policies.

“In fact, we are in the process of looking at the bylaw structure in Port Colborne to add some severity to it,” Bettle said adding the dog attack Saturday will likely help the humane society’s efforts to do that.

“I think this incident would certainly help that process,” he said.

Port Colborne’s director of community and corporate services, Peter Senese, agreed that the city’s animal control bylaws could stand for some improvement.

“What they do need are stiffer fines on them,” Senese said. “Over the next few months we’re going to be working with the humane society in reviewing our bylaw. If there’s anything there they feel we could provide more to that would help them do their job easier and better, then we would probably look at considering those and bringing any amendments to the bylaw to council at that time.”

As of Monday afternoon, investigators still hadn’t made contact with the owner. And since the investigation was ongoing Bettle couldn’t delve into much more detail such as releasing the name of the dogs’ owner.

Still, Bettle was confident charges would be levied against the owner.

“A muzzle order and fines are pending,” said Bettle.

While dog attacks of that severity don’t happen very often, Bettle said it’s the same sort of situation that can result in injuries to people especially children who might try to break up the fight.

“It’s very unfortunate,” he said. “This is a rarity, and thank God it is, but obviously it happens.”

It’s ironic that the second dog that was attacked was a pit bull a breed of dog that was the topic of the province’s recent viscous dog legislation.

“It makes a good point,” Bettle said. “This legislation should have covered this circumstance as well, not just the breed. That’s what we were hoping it would do, but unfortunately the provincial government never followed through with any suggestions from any of the humane society’s or the SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals).”

For Edie, the tragic loss of her companion is something she never wants to have to bear gain.

“That’s it for me, no more pets. I can’t do this,” she said.

“I can’t go through this again. It’s like losing one of my family members. It just breaks your heart.”

CyberKitten
March 7th, 2006, 03:02 PM
This does show how ridiculolous the law is and I do not want to raise issues about the owners of the pom but why in God's name would they tie a dog in the back yard and assume she would be safe? Tied or chained dogs have no hope in you know where of helping themselves. I suspect it was a case f not realizing this - I always went outside with my dog or he roamed in the run attached to the yard but I rarely took my eyes off him. Would you leave a toddler outside alone? I really am sorry for their loss but it pains me to see dogs tied or chained anywhere. In some places, this is becoming illegal actuallty. It could well be of course that they watched the dog closely while she was tied out there but not closely enough it would seem. While the owner of the labs has liability, thweir lawyer will undoutedly raise the issue of why the dog was tied and why he lacked protection. I hope some writer for that newspaper raises the issue of how leashed and tied dogs are anything but safe - and that includes wayward dogs like the labs, bunchers, children or other bad people, - the dog simply has no way of escape.

It is a tragic story all the way around!

Prin
March 7th, 2006, 03:27 PM
This does show how ridiculolous the law is and I do not want to raise issues about the owners of the pom but why in God's name would they tie a dog in the back yard and assume she would be safe? Tied or chained dogs have no hope in you know where of helping themselves. I so agree. A tiny dog outside unsupervised? Even a big cat could have done him in. And he didn't see the attack- even if those labs had been just passing by, they would have stopped: fresh blood.

I hate this phrasing: "two mixed breed black labs". I have two of those, and even I don't even know if they're labs or not. Why do they put a breed on there at all? Two mutts. Or two dogs of unknown breed. Why is it so important to blame a breed at all?

Writing4Fun
March 7th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I believe the Pom was chained out front, since the neighbour across the street alerted the owners. What a terrible, terrible ordeal to have to go through. I just hope some other people who tie their dogs up read this story and realize what a bad idea that is. :sad:

Luvmypit
March 7th, 2006, 04:46 PM
If only people could see not only that it doesn't have to be a pit bull or rottie but that the common factor in all these events is irresponsible owners.

They may only get a muzzle order. Woop di freakin doo. I have a damn muzzle order already and my dog hasn't eaten 2 dogs let alone 1. Let alone threatened anyone or anything! It just drives me crazy. Sometimes I just feel like hitting my head against the wall. These laws do nothing to protect our animals nor do they do anything to protect people.

:sorry: I just can't wrap my head around all this stuff sometimes and I just get angry.

Soroush
March 7th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Why the hell would you leave your little pom tied in your frontyard where every single threat has access to him?!!

and why the hell would you let a cute little thing like that go outside without your presence anyway?!!

wdawson
March 7th, 2006, 06:50 PM
this is a horrible and tragic event that could have been prevented , but at the same time i am glad(well not glad) that the two dogs where identified as lab mix,i think with all the crap about our banned breeds if they only said mixed breed then a number of people will assume it must be pits that did this.sorry prin just my thoughts.

babyrocky1
March 7th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Thats true W Dawson, its Ontario after all so if there was a dog attack ofcourse i t had to be a pit bull, but wait it was the pit who got attacked! Its important that the breed was identified as something other than a pitbull, it needs to be very obvious that they were not "pit bulls" to the reader in this cllimate. If the breed were simply listed as unidentified, people would decide for themselves that it was a pbull or possibly a rotti but never, never, a lab. Fortunately, at this point in time, there is not much prejudice against labs or retrievers in general, except of course for the crew that want all dogs to be under forty lbs.:rolleyes:

dmb777
August 31st, 2008, 12:16 PM
I'm sure you're all aware of the Pomeranian killed in Port Colborne by the 2 labs who coincidently live on my block, while I own two small Jack Russel Terriors. Well, they've killed again. And now on a 13 day quarintine. We've called the Animal Control and they do nothing, just send these blood thirsty dogs back to their irresponsible owner to put the children and dogs on the street and around the neighbourhood at risk. Since the Pomeranian death, there has been countless injuries (including a dog which now has 3 legs because of these 2 ruthless dogs) and bites to people walking by. The owner lets these dogs roam free around their yard, no muzzle, no chain. It's not right to not be able to take your dogs for the long walks they enjoy because of fear of them being attacked or heaven forbid seriously hurt. Unfortunatly, I have no doubt they will kill or injure again. Half the people in this neighbourhood are unaware of the situation because the Animal Control Board tries to keep it in the dark. But I can't sit here and wait for the day that a small child or another innocent dog is attacked. It's horrible and a quarintine will not help the situation. Something NEEDS to be done about these dogs.

Chaser
August 31st, 2008, 01:18 PM
How terrible! I'm so sorry to hear that these owners are still not being held accountable for the dangerous behaviour of their dogs.

kathryn
August 31st, 2008, 06:24 PM
Wow, that is insane. I'm surprised they weren't put down. This is a situation that actually warrants the attacking animals be euthanized!!! Any other time they are put down after a little bite or something but sorry little doggies but there is no fixing you, you're broken and better off in doggie heaven then murdering other little critters.

I hope the owners get the death penalty for being idiots.

pitgrrl
August 31st, 2008, 08:27 PM
It's clearly a horrible situation which should not be allowed to continue, or even have happened in the first place. dmb777, and their neighbours, should not have to live under such conditions. Perhaps contacting your local government representative or the media is the next step if AC is refusing to deal with the situation.

However.......

Wow, that is insane. I'm surprised they weren't put down. This is a situation that actually warrants the attacking animals be euthanized!!! Any other time they are put down after a little bite or something but sorry little doggies but there is no fixing you, you're broken and better off in doggie heaven then murdering other little critters.

I hope the owners get the death penalty for being idiots.

......death to the dogs and the owners? Seriously? I'm honestly a bit shocked to read such and anthropomorphic interpretation on the situation on a pet forum.

The owner is clearly at fault, should be held responsible through a court process or fines or what have you, but dogs are dogs not murderers. Perhaps they are dog aggressive, or have strong prey drive and were never socialized around small dogs. There doesn't seem to be any indication that they are a danger to people however, and the issue is obviously one of proper containment and owner responsibility.

Luvmypitgirls
September 1st, 2008, 02:33 AM
What really bites my a$$, is that if this were two Pitbulls, they would probably already be euthanized.

If the killing of the Pom, was made public in the media in anyway, then it's public knowledge, so perhaps you could print off flyers and deliver them to the people in your neighborhood. I did that when some woman made two attempts to walk off with a kid from our townhouse complex we lived in many years ago, one being mine.

I hope and pray, that these dogs don't attack a child, if they bite at people walking by, I'm afraid it's probably only a matter of time.

The fact that they have attacked and killed and attacked and maimed, I have to say I am curious as to why Animal Control, has managed to return them to irresponsible owners. I hope somebody sues them for the damage their dogs have inflicted.

Soter
September 1st, 2008, 07:27 AM
He followed them for two blocks onto Johnson Street where they attacked a second dog a little pit bull.

Just wondering, was the pit bull okay?

That poor dog! Why can't people keep their animals under control!! I love dogs but this is over the limit of love that I can give

:sad:

Soter

Soter
September 1st, 2008, 07:30 AM
What really bites my a$$, is that if this were two Pitbulls, they would probably already be euthanized.

I agree, its like 'this breed is this, therefore it is dangerous!' yet they ignore the really bad troublemakers, who have the capapcity to inflict serious damamge:wall:

babymomma
September 1st, 2008, 08:08 AM
This is absolutely rediculous!!!!! :wall: For starters, if it were my pomeranian that was killed, or my pitbull that was attacked, the two labs would not have to worry about getting euthanized:frustrated: How stupid are these owners? I pitty the poor labs accually, they might have had a great no aggressive life if they had different owners :sad: I bet they went through alot in there lives, and its still no excuse for what they are doing. I dont pitty them enough not to seriously harm them or kill them if they ever went after my dog though!

Schwinn
September 7th, 2008, 10:58 PM
This hit the television news the other night, and they kept going on and on about tougher laws, and how the dogs have now killed 2 dogs and maimed another, and they've been given back to the owners, and I kept saying, "Please mention pitbulls...please mention pitbulls..." Alas, no...

It just blows me away, that all this, yet if Daisy even growls at someone, huge fine for us, and she'd be destroyed.

bendyfoot
September 8th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Stupid laws. Gracie got attacked by a loose lab two weeks ago and a really skittish loose black lab mix has been hanging around our yard freaking our dogs out. I had a word with the owners about that one. :frustrated:

I would hate to think any of our perfectly well-behaved dogs would be taken from us because other people can't control their animals. :frustrated: