Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need advice about our kittens...

tattooedfaerie
March 7th, 2006, 01:56 PM
My boyfriend and I adopted two 6 month old female kittens from a bad situation on March 6th. They were stuffed in rabbit sized cages with no food or water, dirty torn paper and about 3 other cats. They were probably never allowed out of the cage since they were weaned. The people were what I call animal horders because they had several animals(over 10 that we actually saw) in a small apartment and it was ill kept.

Anyway, our kittens were bathed as soon as we got them home to get rid of any smell or buggies then fed/watered. Now all they do is hide in corners, never eat or drink on their own(I have to put them in front of the bowls) and I have not seen them potty once, not even on the carpet. I know they are probably in some sort of shock but is there any way to help ease them, or is there anything I can do to socialize them better? They are very sweet but do nothing but cower away. We had to close the door to the cat carrier because all they did originally was go inside it and hide all the way in the back together, like they were back in the cage we found them in.

I am most concerned about them not going to the bathroom once for over 24 hours. Is this healthy? Is there something I could give them to perhaps promote bowel/urinary movements? I am concerned and want to take them to the vet for shots and feline testing but we are low in cash right at the moment until closer to the end of the month. I want them to be as comfortable and happy as possible. Thank you for any response you may be able to provide.:pawprint:

CyberKitten
March 7th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Thank you for taking these needy kittens!

They absolutely need to be seen by a vet asap not so much for the lack of elimination - that could be shock and they may begin soon but if they do not, it is a critical emergency in kittens!!- but they do need their veccinations. At 6 months of age - with no protection from diseases, they arew sucpectible to anything you or someone else may inadvertendtly bring into the home. It is not a question of money but one of absolute necessity. Would you not bring an adopted child to a pediatrician or GP when you knew they had not had their necessary vaccinations!! It's the same thing, perhaps worse because kittens - although they need socialization badly - can fade so quickly with the deadly diseases out there. Please do NOT wait - ask a vet for a payment plamn or explain the situation to her or him I am surprised that the people you adopted the kittens from did not provide the vaccinations before adooption to be honest.

Many young kittens are scared in a new home but given their past experiences, they must be terrified. In a way, you will have to learn to socialize them as if they were feral kittens - not an easy job but easier with these kittens because they at least lived indoors. You will have to teach them how to use the litter box and also how to eat.

I would find them their own room or place in the home so they feel they have a safe haven (a hidey hole kind of thing). Play soft music so they become accustomed to voices and noises. They might well have heard human voices before but clearly not pleesantly. (It's hard to day really). Get as much info as you can from the group who you adopted them from. You might - while they are in their carrier - read to them so they become accustomed to your voice and gradually you will have to teach them to play and how to use a scratching post. You dod say they were spayed? That is also essential asap but they need their vaccinations first - it is not advisable to do both at the same time (tho some s.n groups that trap feral cats and release them do it but that is to keep the cats alive and healthy). Giving them vaccinations at the same time as their spay procedure weakens their immune system.

My cat - a Siamese - was 12 weeks when I brought her home and she did not eliminate for perhaps the first day tho she did know where her litter box was and went to it the very next morning. Cats do not have the reserve many species have and cannot go for long periods without eatying, If they do not eat, you may have to feed them with special food and fluids you can get from your vet - with syringes or bottles made for kittens. There is special cat's milk that simulates mother's milk tho these kittens are certainly weaned - do NOT give them cow's milk since cats are lactose intolerant (despute to the beliefs of the past). You mighht find out how they were fed in the past - and if it was garbage, which it may well have been, get good food from your vet, Most cat food at grocery stores does not have enough nutrients for kittens or cats and these kittens need exceptional food. You might ask your vet for Hill's Science or Wellness cat food. These kittens most definitely likley need extra nutrients.

I do think the most important priority right now is a trip to the vet, the faster the better!!! Good lucK!

marko
March 7th, 2006, 02:57 PM
this is a duplicate post - please post only 1 time and in the 1 most appropriate forum....as per the rules.

The Original thread if you want to reply is here
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24576

Marko
ADMIN