Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dana Reeves dies at 44

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 7th, 2006, 12:34 PM
:( Dana Reeves died last night at 44 from lung cancer. She never smoked. I really think she was a remarkable women. :angel:

http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=ccbad030-4f0d-4c01-bb60-4c9f3989802c&t=s2&f=06/64&p=

Writing4Fun
March 7th, 2006, 02:01 PM
RIP, Dana. I hope you and Superman are flying free together. :angel:

Prin
March 7th, 2006, 02:01 PM
That's so sad. :( She definitely is an inspiring person.

Bearsmom
March 7th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Wow, that family cannot catch a break, can they. RIP Dana.

And, footnote, my mom has terminal lung cancer, she never smoked a day in her life. It's funny how people think that because you have lung cancer, you must have smoked.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 7th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Bearsmom I am so sorry to hear about your mom , a friend of my sisters died of lung cancer last year and never smoked a day in her life. So it doesnt just always seek out the smokers and the ex smokers. My sister has cancer to in remission right now - but she never smoked either.

Bearsmom
March 9th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Thanks, I was just ticked off because someone at work said, "oh, I guess that's what smoking will do to you" when we found out my mom was terminal. Hope your sister is doing okay, it's a b*tch to watch this disease deteriorate such a lively person like my mom.

Writing4Fun
March 9th, 2006, 08:29 AM
I'm so sorry for both of you. Cancer in any form is truly a terrible disease. I recenly lost my father in law and a cousin to lung cancer. Both were heavy smokers (although my FIL had quite some 15 years ago), but that doesn't make it any more acceptable. I've read, too, that women are more succeptible to the disease regardless as to whether or not they smoked.

CyberKitten
March 9th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Lung cancer kills more people than many other cancers combined but because it is perceived as a disease brought on by the individual (not always true and amoking is an addiction that needs help too!), it does not get as much financing for research as it needs. I hope the death of someone like Dana Reeves will focus some light on this horrible cancer - small celled carcinoma is especially awful, an awaul ay to die, an awful cancer to treat and the outcomes are awful!!!

I have a cousin who survived it and she credits prayer and other factors. She also had very aggressive chemo! I also tho had two beloved uncles - both smokers - die from the illness and neither lives long after the diagnosis. I HATE this cancer so much and yet it is the Rodney Dangerfield of cancers amg researchers and funding agencies - gets no respect. I am so sorry Dana Reeves died but I do hope the death of someone so vital and a celeb will help people to realize how widespread and inciduous this disease is.

(Cancer is not just one disease - it is really a collection of a variety of illnesses)