Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stuffed Kongs

buffytwin
March 6th, 2006, 08:24 PM
We were having some problems with our dog destroying his crate within the first hour of us leaving for work during the weekdays and we beleive that its due to seperation anxiety. We've videotaped him and its showed that the first hour we leave he barks and jumps at his cage a lot... Our trainer told us to try stuffing a kong and freezing it over night and putting it in his crate with him when we leave, so it will keep him busy. We're doing this among other things to try and get him to be relaxed when we leave. We did this today and video taped him and it worked like a charm. He chewed and licked it for a good hour then slept, and that was it, not a peep out of him. My question is, is giving your dog a stuffed kong everyday bad for him? We use peanutbutter and put some of his food in it, and of course we're subracting that food from his breakfast and dinner. But is that much peanut butter good? We don't use much, but our problem is, is that we have a friend who comes in and checks on him half way through the day, and when she leaves he does the same thing again, and yes even after she's played with him for almost an hour.. So we were thinking maybe we should try him with a kong then also, but twice a day, is that bad for him? Peanutbutter has a lot of sugar and fat in it.. I know some people use Cheese Whiz, but that stuff is pretty expensive, same with the actual Kong stuffing.. Are there any other suggestions? Can we freeze yogurt in it? The whole idea is that he takes a long time getting to his food in it and getting it all out, so we need to freeze it over night. Any suggestions or advice would be great, thanks.:o

Prin
March 6th, 2006, 08:26 PM
What about canned dog food?

domesticzookeep
March 6th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Have you tried Cheerios?
I use them for training & have also put them in Kongs w/ peanut butter (to help them 'stick') low cal, low fat....and my guys have all loved them..

would also recommend real bones (not the hollowed out ones or pork ones) - the big 15 lb cow (?) bones - u can get them at some (not all) pet stores - and I've been told butches will sell them. Cost ~ $10-$15 each - but last for months - and it keeps them going for along time. Just keep the dog on a blanket/in a crate, they can be pretty greasy until they've been 'cleaned'...

C.

buffytwin
March 7th, 2006, 05:29 AM
Oh ya our trainer mentioned those bones too. Think a grocery store sells them? I'll have to ask around. And they're fully safe to leave alone with your dog for the day? They won't splinter or anything like that? Thats the reason I dont want to give him raw hide, b/c he'll just eat the whole thing and I've heard horror stories about how that can get wrapped around the dogs insides:( My dog will eat anything, so I can stuff his kong with anything. I will try cheerios aswell. Thanks.

JulieH
March 7th, 2006, 06:37 AM
I'm just learning myself but I did see somewhere on this site someone was using cream cheese to stuff the Kong. Maybe a peanut butter morning one and a cream cheese one after lunch ? I assume you can use the "light" if calories are a problem...

phoenix
March 7th, 2006, 06:44 AM
To answer your questions: you can freeze yogurt in there with kibble, or bits of leftover chicken. You could switch to an all natural peanut butter (still will have the fat, but no sugar). Good idea to use cream cheese (this is what I usually use). The KONG website has recipes for kongs too.

jessi76
March 7th, 2006, 09:14 AM
I stuff a kong everyday, here are some of my dog's favorites:

alternatives to peanut butter....

- kibble & dab of cream cheese - to cover the hole
- kibble & canned dog food (as prin suggested) - I use Merrick canned food
- hot dog pieces & mozarella cheese
- white meat chicken (after I cook a whole chicken for our dinner, I boil the carcass to get the good meat off as you would do for a soup, I then save the good chicken meat in a tupperware and use it to fill kongs or as dog-treats)
- wedge a whole cookie in there! I use old mother hubbard biscuits.
- carrot pieces
- mandarin oranges (my dog likes some fruits)
- mix plain yogurt & peanut butter w/ mixer and freeze - keep in tupperware in freezer, scoop some out and stuff kong
- I pick up sample bags of different kibble whenever I'm at my local pet supply shop - I use these to fill the kong - since it's not a type of kibble he gets everyday as a meal he's more interested in it, and it's FREE! (check expiration date on samples)

as for bones, I buy marrow bones at my grocery store for really cheap - I pay about $2 for a pack of 4. They are thick, my dog hasn't been able to crack any pieces off. he licks out the marrow & eats any meat on the outside. IF he cleans it well, and it dries, I keep it around for a bit but if anything is left on it, and it's been sitting out, I throw it away, and get a new one.

just a few more ideas for you.

buffytwin
March 7th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Wow guys, thank you so much for the awesome suggestions! I will try them all! So far our dog loves everything and anything, so I'm sure he will enjoy each and everyone of these ideas! Thanks Jessi76 for so many recipes thats awesome! So it's not bad to give a stuffed kong twice a day, if I change it up and to always take away from his breakfast and dinner...:thumbs up

BernerLver
March 7th, 2006, 02:24 PM
as for bones, I buy marrow bones at my grocery store for really cheap - I pay about $2 for a pack of 4. They are thick, my dog hasn't been able to crack any pieces off. he licks out the marrow & eats any meat on the outside. IF he cleans it well, and it dries, I keep it around for a bit but if anything is left on it, and it's been sitting out, I throw it away, and get a new one.

Just a word of caution against these types of bones especially if you have a dog who really likes to chew. They are very hard and dense. My little guy now has a slab fracture on his upper left canine tooth from chewing on once of these bones.

I no longer buy these for my guys.

Prin
March 7th, 2006, 02:33 PM
EEK! That's no fun. I've bought them before, but my guys never manage to stick at it long enough for anything bad to happen.

jessi76
March 7th, 2006, 03:00 PM
thanks for the words of caution BernerLver...Tucker is really only interested in the stuff in the middle, and the meat on the outside - after that's all gone, he gets bored. I'll be sure to keep your words of caution in the back of my mind though! good to know.

there simply isn't anything else on the market that will keep him busy long enough for me to do anything - and some dog treat/chews are automatically OUT for obvious reasons (rawhide, greenies, etc...) The marrow bones will keep him busy long enough for me to clean most of the house, do some laundry, or make dinner.

wdawson
March 7th, 2006, 04:25 PM
jessi76

how do you get merricks to stay in a kong:rolleyes:

jessi76
March 8th, 2006, 09:01 AM
I get the kinds that aren't all gravy-ish, the more solid types. If you shake the cans, you can tell which "slosh" around, and which don't.

angie79
March 8th, 2006, 09:14 AM
I used kible just to block the end mashed banana and yougurt a bit of wheat germ sometimes add some more kibble freeze coops loves it.....
he gets excited when he sees me getting all his kongs and the food processer and bananas.......

i do 3 at a time always at least one in the freezer...

even just an ice cube fits in the hole... lasts about 20 mins before he gets it out.

Copper'sMom
March 11th, 2006, 10:18 AM
I use kongs everyday when I leave Zoe to go to work. She is so excited when I have to leave!:mad: She won't even give me kisses because she knows she is getting her kong and kong ball! I use most of what jessi76 uses as well. I buy small bag of a different brand of dog food as well to stuff her kong - something different than her regular kibble. A small bag of Fromm lasted us about a month or more and that was 3 kongs a day at least(1 for Copper to have at grandma's)!

rainbow
March 11th, 2006, 09:53 PM
I love ALL of your replies....some I`ve tried and some I have`nt (but will !!!).
But I have one question: What is the best way to clean a kong that has been stuffed with peanut butter? I find it really hard to get it clean.

jawert1
March 11th, 2006, 09:58 PM
I usually fill the sink with very hot water and keep a spare toothbrush specifically for Kong Cleaning. I've found a bit of baking soda combined with water to make paste works really well, and unlike soaps, it won't hurt the pup if you don't get it all out. Just scrub away :)

gomez
March 12th, 2006, 05:45 AM
dishwasher...

buffytwin
March 17th, 2006, 11:20 AM
My dog is the same Copper'sMom he's so excited in the mornings now when we leave, he could care less that we're leaving he just wants his kong, haha, and when we make them the night before he has fits just knowing that their sitting on the counter, lol.. its pretty funny! I've been trying all the different ideas, and he loves them all! Thanks everyone! Oh and as for cleaning the kong our dog usually gets it spotless, I've never thought about cleaning it before, I should probably start doing that... but let me tell ya he's his own dishwasher, haha..

gomez
March 18th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Gomez also licks his kong clean, but I still wash it, think of all the bacteria on it!! Bacteria form the stuffing that was there, bacteria from him... ewwww

Put it this way, if you licked clean a spoon with peanut butter and left it on the counter, would you eat from it again the next day?

By the way, new discovery, a tangerine segment or two stuffed in the kong lasts a while!