Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog started Twitching...

kingotis
November 20th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Hello all,

I have a 20 month old Newfoundland (whom is my bestfriend in the world), and last night around 8pm he started twitching.
He always sleeps upside down, his head going one way, his body the other way, but this time I looked over and he was twitching! I thought he was dreaming, but his eyes were open. So I called out to him, and made him get up. He was standing there looking at me while he continued to twitch! He was in no pain this whole time, but I couldnt make him stop and it scared the living daylights out of me!! As he walked his whole body twitched, and when he laid down again, it would twitch from back legs, to front legs, to head, to stomach!

It slowly got better until he stopped, but it took a good 2 hours. It wasnt constant either. kinda on and off.

I stayed up just staring at him till midnight, checking his heart-rate, his lip color, eyes and tongue. (Worried mother I am)

I called the emergency vet WAY on the other side of the city, and they asked me 'is he puking' no, 'does he have diarrehea' no, 'did he get into something' no, 'is he in pain' no, 'is he responding to you' yes, it's like it's not happening-exept he looks pissed that he cant fall asleep cause of it.

they had no answers... just said, maybe bring him in and we'll look at him. (I didnt... )

This morning, nothing. He was fine.
Im totally freakin' out still though. He's my boy, my bestfriend, but now if I take him to the vet, they wont even see it happening.

Anyone heard or seen this before?

Thanks for your help.

Amanda

Pachiz
November 20th, 2003, 06:29 PM
You may want to get him tested for Epilepsy or other neurological problems.

Pachiz

Luba
November 22nd, 2003, 07:17 PM
Could be inner ear infection that can get worse
take him to the vet

melanie
November 23rd, 2003, 04:26 PM
I agree with pachiz go to a vet, my dog is an 8yo shepherd X and she has epilepsy. It doesnt happen often (maily when im away and she gets stressed on my husband). she will be lying there quietly then start to twitch and shake. she can respond when this happens but we dont bother her when it happens as we dont want to increase the stress of it all. she is not on any medication as she doesnt do it very often and im not so happy about giving her chemicles (only when really necessary). her fits dont last longer than 3-5 mins but she is a bit funny afterwards. I saw a vet who warned that if a fit goes for longer than a few minutes you can have brain damage which can lead to major personality changes and agressive dog. But so far so good, we just try to avoid that sort of stress (other stresses dont bother her such as fights ect). but if i was you and it happens again take him to the vet as it may be something quite serious (maybe wait for a sign of anything wrong as these tests can be costly) but as we all know dogs are funny so it could be inner ear ect. dont you wish they could talk sometimes and tell you what is wrong??.:)

kingotis
November 24th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Thank-you everyone for your input.

He hasnt done anything weird since this episode. TG

I am watching him very carefully though, and if he ever does anything like it again, we will be off to the vet in a heartbeat.

I almost wonder if he pinched a nerve in his back while he slept upside down, and twisted around. But I really dont know, so I wont speculate.

I cant imagine the panic parents go through with children all their lives........ I couldnt handle it.

Although you are right, I wish animals could look up at you and say....'Im o.k.' or 'Im not feeling that good, my head hurts.'

Thanks again everyone, I'll keep in touch!!!