Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy sleeping too much and scratching excessively

Soroush
March 6th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Hello all,

This is a great community!

I've adopted an extremely cute 10 week-old Shipoo(Shih Tzu Poolde) female.

She's been very playfull until last night when she kept falling asleep before I took her out and fell asleep again upon entering home! I didn't get concerned at all at that point, but this morning when I woke up and looked at the clock I was shocked.

It was 9:30am and the dog was still in deep sleep! She always starts crying at 7:00-7:30am to be taken out and when she comes back she wants to play a lot.

I woke her up and took her out. She did her business and everything seemed normal. When I came back, she started scratching herself every 10 seconds until she fell asleep again! She slept for another 5 hours and woke up for a brief eating session in which she ate normally and then went to sleep again! man, I'm looking at her right now and she's sleeping on her back with her hands and feet up in the air!

It looks very cute, but I fear there's something wrong with her. When she's awake she can't stop scratching herself(all over).

Is there something to be concerned about?

Prin
March 6th, 2006, 01:53 PM
I would head to the vet. Sudden lethargy is a sign of a bunch of different things that could be going on. To me, the vet would be the best person to help you.

Lucky Rescue
March 6th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Yes make an appointment at the vet for her right away.

Such small puppies are subject to hypoglicemia which can be fatal. How often do you feed her and what are you feeding her? The itching could be allergies brought on by food.

People who are breeding mutts for money are not particularly careful about breeding dogs with genetic defects, so your puppy needs a thorough examination.

Soroush
March 6th, 2006, 02:08 PM
She was thoroughly examined by a vet yesterday morning! Everything was ok.

The puppy just woke up and is running around the room like a bullet! I think she had a good dream and just wanted to continue dreaming for a while!

the scratching is still there but better.

Will see what happens. The Vet's office is not answering my calls. I hate that when they just leave the phone and go about doing other things!

poodletalk
March 6th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Did your dog get any vacinations at the vets yesterday? I remeber when my dog was a pup, she got her rabies shot or something and she was so sleepy. I took her to dog obidence class the following day she was too tierd to participate.

Soroush
March 6th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Did your dog get any vacinations at the vets yesterday? I remeber when my dog was a pup, she got her rabies shot or something and she was so sleepy. I took her to dog obidence class the following day she was too tierd to participate.

No she didn't, but that's a good point.

To be honest, I think eversince I washed her she has started to scratch herself too often. It might be the shampoo I used. I got the shampoo from the Vet so I don't know...