Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about spaying

pammydee
March 6th, 2006, 01:22 PM
On Friday I had my 8 month old pitbull spayed. She came home Saturday. Although she doesn't appear to be in any discomfort there is some dark red around the incission site. It is not bleeding or oozing and was wondering if this is normal or if anyone else has run into this situation. I don't want to run her to the vet unnecessarily as she is not to eager to go there after the surgery I don't imagine. Any info would be appreciated. The vet only told me that it was up to me whether to bring her in or not with no indication that I should. Thank you to all that read this for your time.

Toonces
March 6th, 2006, 02:36 PM
If it's not oozing or bleeding I would not worry about it to much but if it does start she could have an infection and I would get her checked. Some dogs have a reaction to the stitches and it can cause the area to look red and sore. Here is a pic of one of my fosters Reilly after bloat surgery, it looks so red and sore but he was fine with no infection, we just had to make sure he didn't lick the area. Hope this helps abit, sometimes its easier if you see a pic, I don't mean to gross anyone out.

Good luck with your girl:D

jessi76
March 6th, 2006, 02:38 PM
the best advice I can give is, if you're ever in doubt, it's best to see a vet.

pammydee
March 6th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Thank you so much for your help. It didn't look infected maybe like a bruise at the top of in stitches a dark red in colour. It looks more like she strained herself and it bled a bit under the skin. I am going to keep an eye on it and if it looks worse or spreads I think I will take her into the vet. Otherwise she seems fine I am trying to keep her quiet as much as possible.

Lucky Rescue
March 6th, 2006, 03:03 PM
My dog recently had abdominal surgery and her incision looked very much like the one in the picture. It was normal.

Just keep an eye out for lethargy, vomiting, swelling, pus etc.

Thanks for be responsible and getting your dog spayed!!:thumbs up

Please post a pic of her. I have a pit bull too and just love seeing pics.

pammydee
March 6th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Here is a picture of my sweet Prancer.

chico2
March 6th, 2006, 05:08 PM
What a beautiful pittie,love the face on the pup at the bottom of the pic,like if he was saying"What about me?I am pretty too":D

jesse's mommy
March 6th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Is it a pittie thing? Jesse loves sitting on the top of the sofa as well, except there is no wall for her to lean up against so it's a balancing act for her. Hey, she could be in the circus! :D

Toonces
March 6th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Awwww she is gorgeous and so is the little one at the bottom of the pic!

pammydee
March 7th, 2006, 05:33 AM
The little one at the bottom of the pic is Stevie he is my Minature Dachshund. Here is a pic of them together. Stevie is 2.

pammydee
March 7th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Sorry I couldn't resist. And one more.

Lucky Rescue
March 7th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Awwww - what cuties! Does Prancer think she's a cat??:p

babyrocky1
March 7th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Rocky the staffy used to enjoy sitting in the back window of the street car, our couch doesnt have a ledge but the do tend to like to be "king of the castle!" LOL