Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poodle mix with a limp !

zekebo
March 6th, 2006, 10:34 AM
I have an 11 year old Poodle mix that has arthritis in her back. About 3 weeks ago she started limping on left leg after sitting or lying.It goes away after about 8 steps. One vet wanted to give her Deramax and I really don't want to. I took her to a second vet for X-rays and a check up. He said her back and hips look great and is unsure of the problem. To keep it short after a year of Corta-rx (which did help) we put her Gluclosemine tabs 4 days ago. I have seen a small change but it gets worse at night or when she runs a little bit. It doesn't seem to hurt her and she still jumps on sofa to sleep and wants to run sometimes. She is overweight from Prednisone a few years ago and is on thyroid meds as well as diet food. They told me to give her carrots and green beans for snacks to help with the weight. I swear it seemed the more green beans I gave her it seemed the worse the limp got but they said "not". I now grind up carrots and other veggies and give her when she wants to eat between meals. Am I missing something else to look for or could it be the arthritis. I am sure about 2 weeks of 50 mills of Deramax a day she'd be much better but I'm afraid of it.

Prin
March 6th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Well, I was reading up on it here: http://www.deramaxx.com/home/default.asp?page=0_0 and I figure it's ok, but if you're really worried, I would switch to canned food a while before starting it (in early testing it affected the kidneys- wet food can flush out the kidneys a bit if the dog isn't drinking enough) and I'd definitely give it with the meal (it can cause ulcers). I'd also go in quite frequently for blood tests to test that the liver is functioning properly. It's non-steroidal, so that's a good thing.

Personally, I would get off the diet food. They seem to jack up the quantity you have to feed by adding fillers like crazy. To me a dog would be healthier eating less of a regular adult food. The key is to reduce it gradually so the stomach can shrink and the dog doesn't feel hungry all the time. But if you have the means, I would switch to canned anyway if you are going to give this drug. It's just my opinion of course.:)

Prin
March 6th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Oh and from their studies, it appears that 4mg/kg a day is the absolute maximum, and preferrably it should be around 1-2mg/kg/day. But then it doesn't say anything about long term effects really... Instead it says this:

The results of this field study demonstrate that DERAMAXX tablets are well tolerated when administered at 1–2 mg/kg/day for up to 43 days for the control of pain and inflammation associated with osteoarthritis

zekebo
March 6th, 2006, 06:48 PM
:) Thanks, I'll read more. I started thinking about it and about a year ago they gave me 100 Demamax. I still have a few so I figured an average of one every 10 days? I'll probably do a week so she'll feel better. I have her on RD can food, they say it's for Thyroid but she loves the veggies. She thinks I'm making her something special when she sees the food chopper come out. Anyway, I posted this morning and have noticed a great improvement in her tonight. Maybe the Gluclosemine is starting to kick in. Tomorrow she gets to have a tooth pulled--wish me luck. Thanks.

Prin
March 6th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Good luck. Are you having the pre-op blood work done or have you done a work up recently anyway? These oldies can have trouble on the anaesthetic sometimes. I hope all goes well.:) :fingerscr