Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog has lump on side

Jenn216
November 20th, 2003, 12:55 PM
My dog has this round extremely soft lump on his side as if there is liquuid inside of it. If anyone has any idea what it might be please let me know.
:confused:

Luba
November 20th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Nothing like this should be taken lightly

Could be a number of things from tick buried in the skin to a cyst or tumour. Go to the Vet

6catsand3dogs
November 21st, 2003, 12:54 PM
Any lump should be checked out by youyr vet..I am going through this with my 1 year old dog right now...his lump was hard adn it rolled around but now it is almost gone..if it is soft I would say it could be some type of infection or ticks...vet knows best when it comes to this type of thing though...keep us posted on what his outcome is

Carina
November 21st, 2003, 06:06 PM
How old is the dog and how big is the lump? Does it seem painful to him when you press on it? Is there any nasty smell coming from it?

Older dogs often get benign fatty tumors, they usually feel a bit squishy. It costs very little to have a vet do a needle biopsy (typically under $50) and determine it.

But it could be any number of things, like the others said. Painful and/or nasty smell is not good, it is probably infected. Either way, only a vet can really tell you.

Jenn216
December 2nd, 2003, 11:02 AM
My dog is almost 3yrs. It doens't hurt him when it is touched and it doesn't stink. He has had it quite awhile now and I also consider it to be from a tick. Thanks for your info.

Luba
December 2nd, 2003, 11:47 AM
Tumours don't usually hurt Jenn

Cancer is a SILENT killer!

Oh but wait you must be a vet yourself cause you're the one that never takes their pets to one.

Carina
December 2nd, 2003, 03:59 PM
Well Jenn, a friend of mine found a lump on her Rottie's chest on Sunday. Monday morning (yesterday) that dog was at the vet - a needle biopsy cost $32.00; that was the entire bill. I know because I went with her.

It was a benign fatty tumor, just as we suspected. But now Sandi knows for sure that her dog doesn't have a scary cancer, and she also got a good little show & tell lesson on different kinds of lumps, plus she got to look at the fluid under the microscope. All for $32.00.

Oh - and guess what? She is a single mother of three who just got laid off from her job, yep, right before Christmas. She is barely making it right now. The reason I was at the vet with her was because my vet extends credit, and I went along in case it was going to be scary & expensive so I could vouch for her.

I've found lumps on dogs of mine too. A number of times, mostly they've been completely benign. Once, a lump turned out to be an aggressive lymphatic cancer and had I waited even a few more days, it would've killed the dog. Luckily we got it in time.

Jenn I sure hope you don't have children as well as animals....

Jenn216
December 3rd, 2003, 11:43 AM
(Luba)Carina asked if it hurt my dog that is why I said it doesn't hurt my dog. You see if my animals were in major pain they would be taken to the vet. I don't need people to tell me how to raise my animals. Like I said before my cat lived to the age of 20 with no vet care. I also think that it is amazing how the dog was also a rottie.

Lucky Rescue
December 3rd, 2003, 01:10 PM
Animals shouldn't have to be in "major pain" to see a vet.

Many kinds of cancer don't cause much pain at all until it's too late.

Murph's Mom
December 3rd, 2003, 02:45 PM
Jenn216 - I see from your info that you are 19. I would think then that for most of your cat's 20 yr life you were NOT the primary care taker.
You may think that you know alot about animals but you still have much to learn and unless you are in vet school right now you should be willing to accept the advice from others who know better or have been there, especially if you come looking for answers instead of seeing a vet.

Luba
December 3rd, 2003, 03:13 PM
Well Jenn

If indeed you are 19 then you should open your mind to others experiences and advise. It may be a tough thing to do at your age but it will make you a better person.

Oh and since you may be following the 'lead' of others in your life with regards to your family pet care...perhaps you were taught wrong, did you ever think of that?

The only reason why people are 'targeting' you so to speak is because of our devotion and love to our pets and animals. If we feel you are wrong then we will try to give advise to correct it so as to educate not 'dictate'.

I hope you understand and try to be more open minded, you are young and have much to learn.

Luba