Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dry Paws

Kona1
March 5th, 2006, 04:06 PM
My dog has been licking one of her paws, when I went to look at it, it was red and looks like it's raw from her licking so much. I tried to put Aloe Gel then wrap it up, but she managed to rip it off. Any ideas what this is and what I can put on it.

mummummum
March 5th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Not sure where you hail from but those of us in the Salt Capital of the World (Toronto) often find without boots during the winter, paws can get salt/ ice melter product burns or just plain old "road rash" if we do alot of pavement walking. I use Bag Balm and put toddler slippers (the ones with elasticized ankles) on their paws when they seem roughened up. If you do a thread search for dry, sore paws you will find a couple of other folks use different products and then put their mukluks/boots on as the salve oils up the boots nicely. I assume you've checked between the toes and around the pad to make sure there isn't a thorn or burrs stuck in there. I usually get my magnifying glass out to check. If I think there might be something in there, I've also done an epsom salts soak (rinse really well) just in case there is a sliver of something I can't see.

Prin
March 5th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Sore paws are usually a symptom of something. Symptoms tend not to disappear when you cover them up. It's best to get to the source, whether it's salt, an environmental allergy or a food allergy.

mastifflover
March 5th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Check for any fungus between toes also. If it does seem to be from the salt which is pretty common, you can use bag balm to soothe and moisturize. Also before you go out you can apply KY jelly to the paws it is water soluble so you just wipe it off when you get home it protects the pads and is cheap

Kona1
March 6th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Thanks for your advice. Did a search and looks like many use this Bag Balm. Where to you purchase it...at the vet?

mastifflover
March 6th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Not sure where you are but any feed store or equestian tack shop carries it. You can also buy it at some Walmarts or online.

mummummum
March 6th, 2006, 09:10 AM
I got mine at a pet food/supply store but it is pretty much anywhere as gardeners use it as well for dry hands - try your drug store or a health food store if there is no pet store in your area.

Prin
March 6th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I get my bag balm anywhere that sells dog food really... It's in the aisle with the shampoos and stuff.