Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! Cat defecating on carpets!

davecsanders
March 5th, 2006, 10:13 AM
We have 4 yr old male defecating (diarrhea) on floors. He defecates/urinates normal in litter box, but paws floor and defecates there. We have had a 2nd cat for a year, w/o any problems before. He does this multiple times a day, right in front of us even when we try to stop him.

So far we:
1. Took him to 2 vets, with no explanation. Said he is healthy.
2. Changed diet to high protien for sensitive seniors (helped for a week).
3. Scooped litter more often and added another litterbox (helped for a day).
4. More privacy for him and his own food/drink area.
5. Used de-odorizer, No Mark!, everything we can to clean/repel from areas.

Can anyone help??? We are at our wits end and on the verge of putting him to sleep. We love him, but can find no answers. The vets are charging us an arm-and-leg for useless advice. We are both busy worker/students and cannot deal with the added stress he is creating.

DS

jesse's mommy
March 5th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Have there been any changes to stress the cat out? My sisters cat will defecate on the carpet when he isn't happy or is stressed out about something. Take a look at the living situation and see if anything has changed. I'm sure others will be able to help you as I'm not a cat owner. I just know about my sisters cat and what he does.

davecsanders
March 5th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Thank you for the suggestion. We have kept things very constant and nothing has really changed. He is behaving as if he were otherwise healthy. The behavior was sudden and we cannot find an logical explanation for it. We got the second cat (a kitten) a year ago, but the problems have begun roughly a month ago. There was a time it happened before, about 2 months ago, but it was not as bad and it ceased happening.

jesse's mommy
March 5th, 2006, 10:36 AM
You would be surprised, it could be so subtle and not noticeable. My sisters cat will defecate if it's fed 1/2 hour later than normal. Or if it can't sleep at the top of their heads and have to sleep at their feet instead. Or if the other cat or dog takes it's toy mouse. It'll defecate. Cat's can be very picky about things -- at least her cats are. I hope you find an answer, but putting the cat down is definitely not the answer. Your cat is trying to tell you something. It's up to you to figure it out. Good Luck.

raingirl
March 5th, 2006, 10:46 AM
I don't know much about cats, but have read here that you need one litterbox per cat, plus one (so if you have 2 cats, you should have three litter boxes).

Also, you might want to try natures Miracle enzymatic cleaner, or pure vinegar. Both are the best for removing smells.

Is it the same place that he always goes? I have heard of people using something like "mactac" with the sticky side facing up over the area that a cat/dog keeps going on, and because the area is sticky, they stop going there? Don't know if that applies to your situation.

Like Jesse's mommy said, maybe it's something really little. Did you buy any new furniture? use a new type of cleaner? Bought a scented candle or tried some kind of air freshener that might make your house smell different? Was there a change in work schedules for anyone in your house?

Snooky'sMom
March 5th, 2006, 11:02 AM
This happened to my male cat once. I was at wits end wondering what was going on. Turns out these bouts would always happen after we would give him a little nibble of cheese. Finally we cut the cheese out and the problem cleared up. Maybe your kitty has devoped an alergy to something in his food? Or he's getting fed something from the table that's causing it? My cat would have diarrhea for 3 days following one tiny piece of cheese.

Perhaps some digestive enzymes in his food might help too but it seems he's allergic to something. Check the ingredient lists in his food and make notes everytime you change something. That might help to track it down.

BTW, I heard too that cats can have bad reactions from cleaners. If you are using a new cleaner on the floor or somewhere where he's picking up the smell, that might do it?