Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

viral papillomas?

raingirl
March 4th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Anyone have experience with viral papillomas??

Odin has 2. We took him to the vet because I was worried it was some kind of tumor, but the vet said it's basically a viral wart. It takes 3-4 months aparently for the infection to stop. She said there is nothing we can really do, unless he gets them on his gums and it affects his eating.

So far, the only 2 he has are on his chin. One started 3 weeks ago and is the size of a small raspberry (aparently that's what they all look like), and the other I just noticed started a few days ago. She said some dogs get only one or two, some get so many that their faces are covered.

She also said he probably got it from another dog, and it's probably still contageous. Unfortunately, we can't avoid other dogs since we live in a tall apartment building, and there are many dogs on each floor. He probably got it from someone here.

Is there anything that I can do to boost his immune system? by 3-4 months, is that per wart, or the total time for all of them to come and go? I feel bad, but it doesn't seem to bother Odin. It just looks gross. Should I put aloe on it, since it's looking dry and flakey? Could something like this turn bad/get infected/turn cancerous?

Prin
March 5th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Jemma had one on her tongue a while ago (I'm pretty sure it's the same thing). It took about 3 months for 1/2 of it to fall off and then another 3 weeks after that for the other 1/2 to fall off...

Nothing ever came of it, but it obviously bugged her a little when it was there- she became more licky...:yuck: After it fell off, her tongue was normal, and she hasn't had one since.

This is it when it was getting smaller...