Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

tumor shrinking?

shelbyshihtzu
November 20th, 2003, 08:36 AM
My best friend has a huge heart and has adopted many animals over the past few years, she has 6 cats and 3 dogs she rescued at the S.P.C.A
She adopted a beautiful blue tick hound dog last xmas, who had parvo, but was given a clean bill of health. last week she found a lump under his skin on his side, her vet said that is was a tumor and had to come out. it doesnt hurt to touch it, and it has been shrinking for the past few days, Bruin the dog is having his surgery tomorrow and i was wondering if this is nessasary since it is shrinking? and she doesnt want him to be in any pain, if he doesnt need to be. can you please help
thank you in advance:)

shelbyshihtzu
November 20th, 2003, 08:58 AM
my friend was talking to the vet and they cancelled the appt, since it is shrinking but she is scared to death that her baby boy bruin may need the surgery, do you know of any dog who had similiar lump that was shrinking? could it be nothing? please help
any info would be great..
thank you

Luba
November 20th, 2003, 09:10 AM
Vet should maybe do a biopsy to see if it's benign or malignant first

6catsand3dogs
November 20th, 2003, 09:52 AM
Bruin is my dog...he is only 1 year old and seems to be in great health...I am so confused right now as what to do..I only want to do the best for my dog...he is my baby boy and the family would be very hurt if anything happened to him...I do not want to feel guilty about this lump if i do not remove it but I do not want to do the surgery if it doesn't have to be removed...

Luba
November 20th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Uh I think I just said a biopsy would be ideal
That way it can be determined if it's a simple cyst or a more serious issue to deal with.

6catsand3dogs
November 20th, 2003, 10:15 AM
um a biopsy adn the surgery cost the same..would you want to spend the moeny twice..the vet adn I already discussed this option and the dog would have to be asleep to do the biopsy because there is no way he would sit still through it...thanks for you info though

Luba
November 20th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Your vet actually told you a biopsy is the same cost?

I'd get another opinion

They can "locally" freeze the lump and do a biopsy unless it's near a major organ or something.

I've been through this experience more then once. Get another opinion then!

They can mildy sedate the dog without full anaestetics. Something to relax / calm the dog. Similar to us taking ativan before a MRI or something. Not a huge deal.

Ask some more questions of your vet. It's a difficult time but the more questions you know to ask the more informed you are.
Have you known this vet a long time?

Luba

shelbyshihtzu
November 20th, 2003, 11:45 AM
thanx for the reply Luba
you said that you have been through this more than once, did you r dog's lump shrink? and if so what were you told it was?

Luba
November 20th, 2003, 12:34 PM
With our Terrier the lump was assumed to be benign
He had several tumours you could feel through the skin
in his chest, belly and behind the neck.

They could have been benign but if I had insisted on a biopsy it could have come back malignant and saved my dogs life later as he died from cancerous tumours which spread to the adrenal gland and all organs.

SO that is why I am insisting on the biopsy. Don't take chances!!!

Luba

6catsand3dogs
November 20th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Thanks Luba...I am going to call the vet right now...see what he can do for me..I have known this vet for 6 years and he is great...but i never had to deal with anything like this before...just regular checkups and needles and for spaying or neutering...I am going to call all the vets around my area to see what they all say...thanks so much for the information..I am so sorry about your dog...take care

shelbyshihtzu
November 20th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Iam so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog , that is so sad.
thank you for all your help today

Luba
November 20th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Good luck and keep us posted okay :) big smiles

Ya Rusty was a lovely boy
I miss him a whole lot
He was my rescue dog and he lived a long 16yr live with me

Snuggles Rusty I wuvs ya!

shelbyshihtzu
November 21st, 2003, 09:48 AM
OMG, he is soo beautiful i never seen a dog that looked like him before, he doesnt look real, Rusty looks like a teddy bear......
:p

6catsand3dogs
November 21st, 2003, 10:53 AM
Luba your dog was just beautuiful...he does look like a teddy bear...Bruin did not get his surgery today..me and the vet decided it is better to monitor it because it is almost gone...we're wondering if it is some kind of an infection he had...he goes back to see the vet next week to see how it is doing...I sure hope nothing happens to the little guy he is a great dog..he already faught off parvo virus last year when he was a baby..he lost two siblings tothe virus..but himand two brothers were very lucky...I am trying to include a picture of him..I hope it works..thank you so much for your help and for sharing your story about your dog..take care..

Luba
November 21st, 2003, 12:01 PM
Thanks you two :)
He was a sweet dog for sure!

So the lump is shrinking thats great news.

My neighbours dog had a swollen neck and she just underwent emergency surgery. One lump, that the vet said was harmless BURST and tore right through Peaches Jugular vein. She'll have to get along with only one now. She seems to be doing okay and might come home today.

Thats what I mean by you can never be too careful.

Luba

6catsand3dogs
November 21st, 2003, 12:32 PM
oh Luba I sure hope your neighbours dog is okay...oh can you see the picture of Bruin that i posted?

Luba
November 21st, 2003, 02:29 PM
OMG Bruin is adorable!! What a lovely face. Those markings are amazing...just wanna give big squishy hugs!!

Does Bruin like agility type things?

Luba