Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

silly question!!

heather32
November 5th, 2001, 01:43 PM
I have been curious of this for sometime and if someone knows the answer to my question I would really appreciate. Ok, why do cats wag their tails? Told you it was a silly question but I really would like to know the answer. Thank you

Heather

apocalypse
November 8th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Cat tail wagging...as far as I know...is an aggressive response (or a disturbed one), as opposed to a happy one when dogs do it. My cat wags his tail when he is having one of his "play/attack times". His pupils enlarge, his ears flatten, tail wags, and he's ready to fight!

What behaviousr have you observed with the tail wagging?

heather32
November 9th, 2001, 12:04 PM
The behavior I have noticed with my cat is really none to be honest, she tends to lay and wag her tail. Now I have a wee dog as well so perhaps she is just being on her guard. Anyway, thank for your response, I so appreciate it.

Heather

Marion
January 17th, 2002, 11:11 PM
Cats wag their tails for many reasons including contentment which is a nice slow, sensual (if you will) motion. Hard wagging (thumping on the ground when lying down) means that they're ready to play, rough-house or fight. I call this "kitten mode". A back and forth flitting motion in the pounce mode means, well, they're going to pounce.

The cat's tail can tell you many things about it's mood. You may want to consult a good descriptive book on cats to get more answers.

Marion
January 17th, 2002, 11:21 PM
Cats wag their tails for many reasons including contentment which is a nice slow, sensual (if you will) motion. Hard wagging (thumping on the ground when lying down) means that they're ready to play, rough-house or fight. I call this "kitten mode". A back and forth flitting motion in the pounce mode means, well, they're going to pounce.

The cat's tail can tell you many things about it's mood. You may want to consult a good descriptive book on cats to get more answers.