Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

winter depression....

jiorji
March 4th, 2006, 12:56 PM
...........anyone else experiencing this??

I feel so gloomy and just...blehh.. no fun! I wish I could sleep all day. I take an awful lot of naps and STILL manage to sleep at night and wake up at noon. I have no motivation...I feel like my life is going nowhere and I can't get myself to go to class. 45 minutes travel time to attend an hour and a half class and then some 45 minutes back. sigh...are you hearing me spring??

i miss the sun...and I miss the birdies and flowers and squirrels. Yes I could easily go outside and find squirrels but I just can't get myself to do it. I'm generally a happy giddy person but this is just messing with my moods.

argh!

ok so if anyone else is feeling this....I'll share a picture of the first thing I saw when I woke up today....made me happy....for a few minutes:o

Prin
March 4th, 2006, 01:41 PM
I hear you on the travel time. I spend two hours in the car total for a one hour class... Some mornings, when the traffic is worse than usual, I don't bother... But then I have to catch up.:rolleyes:

I can't wait for my last exam of my last year of undergrad to be over. Can you imagine what that feels like? Must be a rush.:cool:

jiorji
March 4th, 2006, 02:23 PM
so then you're in your last year??

well i'm in my first...well technically fourth....went to art school for 3 years then I decided to move to Montreal to change majors, only to realize that if I didn't stay in arts I would go crazy! So yup...first year again...and umm...taking summer classes to do 4 years in 2.5 full years.

and the way i've planned my schedule works out great but it never stays that way when you sign up for your courses. :mad: sigh...

Prin
March 4th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Yep, 4th and last year... I wanted to apply to McGill for a master's in Biology but they say they "expect" their graduate students to pay their tuition plus $13,000, which I can't do. So it looks like I'm out of school.:confused:

Frenchy
March 4th, 2006, 03:02 PM
winter depression,one remedy for me;chocolat.

jawert1
March 4th, 2006, 09:12 PM
I'm with ya jiorji, the only reason I get out of bed any morning is cuz Peach simply won't let me sleep in, and for that I'm grateful. I've been taking naps when I get home from work (which Simon LOVES since he then has a couch buddy), getting up to take them for our pre-bed pee, and then sleeping for another 10 full hours. Spring can't come too soon since none of my normal "get out of funk free" cards are working this year.

Rick C
March 4th, 2006, 10:16 PM
I've always said Canadians actually like winter . . . . . right up until about the third week of January.

Then it becomes a marathon. And depressing.

Out east, you get a lot more snow than ourselves . . . . . we have the periodic "brown" period or long stretches of warmer weather to break the monotony.

A few years ago we had snow from early October to pretty much April . . . . darned near killed me.

Today, I spent much of the day outside in the sunshine, walking the dogs down the road and cross-country skiing around the property, sitting on the deck reading a book in about minus five weather. Get outside and take what winter can give. That helps lift the veil a bit.

Hope this picture below cheers someone up . . . . the months coming that we can look forward to, Abby lays in the grass, sharing the shade of a lilac with Polly. Imagine yourself taking a nap alongside . . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/P1070480_edited-1.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
March 4th, 2006, 11:16 PM
What we do too, much to the dismay of our neighbors, is on those FREEZING but unbelievably sunny days, we stand in the window in our undies soaking it in... Sometimes in the winter, you just need a little sun to keep you going...:D

mummummum
March 5th, 2006, 12:34 AM
With Declan having come along and Bridie-tubby-guts needing to lose some poundage I am walking more than ever and Toronto is ....horribly cranky-making damp with spiteful biting winds and knee-deep salty slush - gawd I miss the Great White North. So to keep my mind off my misery on my seemingly endless walks I've been building my "dream dogrun". One hundred and fifty feet long, twenty-five feet wide with a heated/air-conditioned cabin outfitted with comfy waterbeds, free-running water and soft music. It has a sunporch which is glassed in for the winter and screened in for the summer with an awning which is auto-responsive to direct sunlight. A wading pool equipped with a spray fountain when a cool-off is just the thing. An automatic pitching machine which is pedal operated so the doggies can chase tennis balls to their hearts delight even when I'm not there. Of course my several-hundred acre property replete with old-growth forest, a small lake and maybe a mountain or two is fully fenced so really everyone could wander about at will...yeah, yeah I know - keep buyin' those lottery tickets.

CyberKitten
March 5th, 2006, 05:34 AM
I call it the Feb Blahs and I wait anxiously for Mach 17 so I can celebrate St. Patrick's Day - but I hate winter this time of the yr too. It is very difficult when aggressive recruiters from southern climates call this time of the yr and they do, sigh!!!! I am even tempted on occasion to go for interviews just to get away (a free vacation) but my ethical voice says no plys I love the Maritimes so much!!!!

I think we all might have a bit of SAD (seasonal affective disorder) which is now a recognized psychiatric illness. :crazy:

Prin, is there no where else you can take your Masters? What about scholarships and fellowships? I know of almost no grad student who pays completely - most have something, a teaching assistanship, schararship, etc. There is always med school ya know!!! :)

poodletalk
March 5th, 2006, 06:43 AM
I don't get the winter blues, I get more the summer blues. It's so HOT in the summmer, right across the street from me is the river. I find it soooooo depressing that you can't swim in the water:mad:

chico2
March 5th, 2006, 07:09 AM
I think it's starting to get to me too and partly because we have had no snow:confused: everything outside is just blah,at least snow brightens the day..
The best time of the year is SPRING,knowing summer is on the way,watching every day,blooms fighting their way up...baby-birds,baby squirrrels,bunnies etc..new life period:love:
Here's a reminder...

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 5th, 2006, 07:18 AM
I am getting sick of winter too. Drive too work when its dark and either raining or snowing, drive home when its dark. Do we ever see daylight.

Yesterday here though was actually beautiful I went for a walk on my lunch it was sunny and minus 2 although it seemed warmer to me yesterday. Today I believe it is supposed to be cloudy and rainy oh well it was nice for one day.

Skryker
March 5th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Do I need to say more that this?:D

rivers
March 5th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Spring is almost here. Maybe 2 weeks to go and then the big thaw. Seeing the easter bunnies and eggs in the shops raises my spirits.
I am so looking forward to gardening this spring.
Truthfully this winter wasn't so bad. It was rather mild, and we have only had 2 weeks of unusually cold temperatures. The rest of the winter was way above normal.
So hang in there, self-indulge, go for a walk, soon spring will be here!:thumbs up

Prin
March 5th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Prin, is there no where else you can take your Masters? What about scholarships and fellowships? I know of almost no grad student who pays completely - most have something, a teaching assistanship, schararship, etc. There is always med school ya know!!! :)Ya, but you need to be a top super A student to get those scholarships and I prefer to have a life on the side.:D But bringing in some money instead, even if it's small amounts at a time, is ok... I have a lot of debt to pay off already, without adding a masters to it.

It's supposed to be warm and sunny here today, but I'll probably be inside, sanding the floor...:(

jiorji
March 5th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Hope this picture below cheers someone up . . . . the months coming that we can look forward to, Abby lays in the grass, sharing the shade of a lilac with Polly. Imagine yourself taking a nap alongside . . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/P1070480_edited-1.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

it's like ABby's saying " come on...i know you want to!"

so....don't mind if i do take a pretend nap on the grass with you :)

CyberKitten
March 5th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Prin, what about getting a job at a lab in a univ and then you get a discount omn the tuition so you take say one or 2 courses - it might take longer but you'd still get there. :) My nephew is graduating from a Vt univ and has a FT job not even in his field (which was recreation and biz aka snowboarding) at MIT in the bio dept there soing IT stuff. Web site design, CBT development, that sort of thing and he gets free tuition tho I know he really wants more time for snowboarding, lol That said, employed there means the tuition is free (and his tuition for his present degree was $28,000 a year - about $35,000 a yr by the time you add in residence, meals, etc, etc). But he has no loan since he mom, dad, grandparents and aunt :) helped pay the tuition. So I do hope he finds somehting at MIT he likes but you could do that at McGill as well. My sister gets a discount there and has taken courses for fun (like languages or Russian history, nothing to do with her sujcet area, but just stuff for fun.) I have the same at my univ but do not seem to have as much time as people in the legal field, sigh! But I have been taking Gaelic at another local univ for fun.

Anyway - just a thought. A univ is a great place towork - there are lots of amenities, even if you don't want to actually take a course.

Admittely, our winter has been warm and then it turned cold and then we have had so much ^%$# snow, grrrr! I just want it OVER and soon!! The older I get, the more I hate winter - I used to love it in my 20's but not anymore. Oh there are days it's OK but like you Chico, I love spring - sort of a time to renew everything, including life. :)

jiorji
March 5th, 2006, 12:00 PM
oh yeah way to threadjack :P hehe:evil:

Rivers....i've already started my gardening...i've started my seeds and that's ok but some plantlets are dieing :sad:

I don't know why but for some reason I can start my seeds ok but once they come out I have a hard time keeping them alive.

doggy lover
March 5th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I get depressed this time of year so I think about summer and just surround myself with plants and flowers. I try to get out as often as I can when its a sunny day and take Tucker for a 2 hour walk, wakes me right up.

chico2
March 5th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Today was a fantastic day,hubby and I walked down to the lake,then took the cats out for a couple of hours,they are now exhausted:D Right now the barbie is ready for a couple of steaks,it's a great day!!
Sunshine works wonders!

Prin
March 5th, 2006, 02:19 PM
ooo are there 3 steaks? mmmm... I'll be there soon.;)

Frenchy
March 5th, 2006, 02:39 PM
It is beautiful today here too and mine will be ; melting snow blues.I just came back from my walk with the dogs and they are already getting muddy.So that means for the next weeks,I come back from work,change,drive 10 kms to take the dogs for a walk where it's gravel road so I don't have to bath them everytime we get back!That's the only thing I don't like about living in the middle of fields...

jesse's mommy
March 5th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I don't know why but for some reason I can start my seeds ok but once they come out I have a hard time keeping them alive.

I don't think plantlets can survive the dips in the weather and that's why some die. Have you tried starting them in pots and cover them with empty soda bottles? (The big plastic ones with the bottoms cut off, but the lid still on.) This creates a greenhouse effect for them. Keep them in there until they are a little bigger than plantlets and strong enough to still survive some dips in the weather. It's not the prettiest sight, but it works.

gomez
March 5th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I don't get the winter blues, I get more the summer blues. It's so HOT in the summmer, right across the street from me is the river. I find it soooooo depressing that you can't swim in the water:mad:

I'm with you - if I can't be on a beach, I hate summer - hot and humid makes me extra cranky, and NO ONE has aircon over here, they don't think it's necessary (and beleive you me, it is necessary!) so there is nowhere to escape even for a while, not even the movies are airconditioned...

ARGH! I was happy, it was 2c here today and super sunny, now I'm all riled up about the onslaught of spring and summer...

chico2
March 5th, 2006, 03:50 PM
I LOVE summer,we are retired,have a/c and a pool,no matter how hot it gets,I'll enjoy it:D
I'll never ever complain about the heat,being retired we do what we want when we want to,so all you kids out there,there is light at the end of the tunnel:D
Prin,you are welcome here any time for a steak(it was great by the way)you're only 6 hours away:thumbs up

Bearsmom
March 5th, 2006, 05:08 PM
We've just returned from a week on the Panama Canal, and another week in Florida right after that. I was really bummed at the end of January, and we really needed this break.

I'm going to try and post some beach pictures for you guys so you'll may be feel a bit better???? Some of them show the dolphins feeding in the ocean, it truly was a beautiful thing to watch....hope I can shrink the stupid pictures enough so you guys can see it.

Prin
March 5th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Prin,you are welcome here any time for a steak(it was great by the way)you're only 6 hours away:thumbs up
Great! Give me more notice next time.:rolleyes: :D

jiorji
March 5th, 2006, 10:39 PM
I don't think plantlets can survive the dips in the weather and that's why some die. Have you tried starting them in pots and cover them with empty soda bottles? (The big plastic ones with the bottoms cut off, but the lid still on.) This creates a greenhouse effect for them. Keep them in there until they are a little bigger than plantlets and strong enough to still survive some dips in the weather. It's not the prettiest sight, but it works.

well they're all inside still...their stems are rotting off. a common problem for plantlets it seems