Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats, spaying, spraying, and crystals

cpietra16
March 4th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Are female cats prone to getting crystals after being spayed? I cleaned up a small thick liquid off the floor that had a very strong cat spray smell. I noticed that the paper towel had a slight crystal look to it. Now I have had male cats spray and I have had male cats with crystals and I know what to look for. My question is, as stated above; Can a female get crystals right after a spay? CAn a female spray? How can I narrow which cat may have done it when I have 5 that like to sleep all day and don't seem to go pee all that much? I will call my vet but I would like to know what you guys think.

Lucky Rescue
March 4th, 2006, 12:16 PM
No, cats are not prone to getting crystals after a spay. They may get crystals, but that is independant of the spay, since the bladder has nothing to do with the removal of the uterus.

Females can spray, since spray is just urine, but if the urine is on the floor, it's not spray since cats stand up to spray so it would be about 6 inches off the floor.

Thick, concentrated urine can come from eating dry food only and not drinking enough water.

To find out who is doing it, you can try isolating each cat in turn in a room if that's possible.

cpietra16
March 4th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks LR, I appreciate your info. I'll keep my eyes open as to which cat may have crystals. I can't seperate them as there are only 2 rooms with doors in the house, but I will just follow them this weekend.

Lucky Rescue
March 4th, 2006, 12:39 PM
but I will just follow them this weekend.

LOL!!! I can just picture them looking at each other and asking "Like - what's HER problem??"

:D

cpietra16
March 4th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Oh, I 'm not worried about them thinking that...they have always thought it...they have come to the realization that they're stuck with me...:D You should when I watch them in the litter box....PRIVACY HERE PLEASE...they actually leave and come back later...I need help