Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need Cake help today!

raingirl
March 4th, 2006, 11:03 AM
I am making a baby shower cake. It's a dome cake made to look like a baby face.

The girl I'm making it for is allergic to nuts, and I am having trouble finding something to use as "hair". Usually I use licorice or pretzels dipped in chocolate, but I can't find any that are nut free!

This is a cake similar to what i'm doing, except I want hair coming out of the top of the head, like a little tuft:

CyberKitten
March 4th, 2006, 12:38 PM
What about coloured coconut? I mean, I have patients with pink hair, :) Or use food colouring on some cookie dough made to look the way you want it?

joeysmama
March 4th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Are you anywhere near a health food store--either an independent one or a chain like Whole Foods, Trader Joe's or Wild Oats? Many times a package will indicate that it is nut free.

Could you buy a little baby bonnet and use that instead of making hair? I think that might be cute if it would fit the cake.

jesse's mommy
March 4th, 2006, 12:58 PM
What about some fondant formed in the shape of a bonnet? Here's some other suggestions to be creative with (I don't know if they have nuts or not)

kit kats
mini candy bars (like the kind handed out at Halloween)
chocolate twizzlers
icing in a can

I'll keep thinking...

raingirl
March 4th, 2006, 02:23 PM
I never thought about coconut. I think I have some! Maybe I could make chocolate macaroon hair?

No health food stores near us that are any good.

I have fondant, but it's not nut-free. And she is allergic to most nuts, as well as apricots, cherries, peaches (all fruits and nuts in the almond family) and there are no manufacturers out there that can gurantee product without all those ingredients. It sucks for her. She can't have ice cream, and most candy is out of the question. Everything she makes is pure from scratch (cookies, cakes, treats).

The only chocolate that is nut-free is Baker's squares chocolate.

glasslass
March 4th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Your cake is adorable! It really doesn't need any hair!

Skryker
March 4th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I don't know if this will work, but if Baker's chocolate is nut-free, could you make chocolate curls from it? I believe the usual way is to warm the chocolate slightly and then use a peeler or a knife to shave curls from the chocolate. Worth a try?:confused: