Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Person brings three dogs to work and leaves them in the car for 8 hours

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 3rd, 2006, 06:40 PM
So we pull in to the parking lot at work today and notice that someone has left their three dogs in the car. I look in the car and these dogs are going balistic.
I go into work and tell my sup - she actually goes around and asks everyone in the centre if anyone has left three dogs in the car. No one seems to want to admit to leaving the dogs in the car. So the SPCA was called to investigate - not sure what exactly happened as the car was not there when I got off today.
Not sure what some people are thinking.!:mad:

Frenchy
March 3rd, 2006, 07:15 PM
people suck.I hope they got, at least a ticket!

Prin
March 3rd, 2006, 09:39 PM
I'm glad somebody called for help... The only thing more sad than dogs locked in a car all day is dogs locked in a car completely unnoticed and unhelped...

doggy lover
March 3rd, 2006, 09:52 PM
It makes me sick to see them left alone, even on a cool day it can get hot in a car in the sun. People just have no idea, hey they leave their children in cars, what do they do sit on their brains?

Gazoo
March 3rd, 2006, 10:18 PM
How big was the car?

Is this any worse than a crate?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 3rd, 2006, 10:38 PM
Yes I think its worse then a crate - at least a dog in a crate is in a nice warm house, and is safe from elements, dog snatchers, and concerned dog owners that may report an owner that just leaves their animals in the car for an extended period.

But in this persons defence - perhaps she was planning to come out and take them for walks on her breaks and her lunch. Which would be about every 3 hours.

that said there is no way she can see his/her car from her desk and can't see if anything did happen to her dogs or if someone would try to steal them.

joeysmama
March 3rd, 2006, 10:49 PM
I can only hope that this person wasn't working there. Maybe just dropping something off and they weren't staying? I've taken my dog with me to run errands but have never left him alone in the car. We took Joey away for a weekend once and left him in the car twice during the weekend, for less than an hour, parked where we could see him and we went out to him during that time as well.

But to take the dogs to work with you is irresponsible in my opinion. I would be so worried that someone would find a way to open the door and let the dogs out. I would never leave my dog where I can't see him. I'm afraid he would be stolen.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 3rd, 2006, 11:08 PM
I can only hope that this person wasn't working there. Maybe just dropping something off and they weren't staying? I've taken my dog with me to run errands but have never left him alone in the car.

maybe but she was parked in the staff parking lot if this person was just dropping something off they would have just parked in the visitors zone directly in front of the building.

Maybe it was just one of those situations where she may have not had a choice and had to bring her dogs who knows.

Gazoo
March 4th, 2006, 09:25 AM
I'm not sure its that big a deal.

My wife and I travel a lot with our 2 dogs and have left them alone in the back of our SUV many many many times for 3 or 4 hours.

They're fine there and like to sit and watch the world go by

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 4th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Gazoo= I'm not sure its that big a deal.

My wife and I travel a lot with our 2 dogs and have left them alone in the back of our SUV many many many times for 3 or 4 hours.

They're fine there and like to sit and watch the world go by

Can you see them, what if something happened. We have taken Joey to my husbands restraunt where he works and left him in the car but were parked right in front of the window and we can see him. Even then I run out every 15 minutes to check on him. Joey is fine in the car he just usually goes straight to sleep. :)

I am one of those people though that are really paraonoid about those things, even today I wont leave my kids in the car for even a minute.

Gazoo
March 4th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Gazoo=

Can you see them, what if something happened. We have taken Joey to my husbands restraunt where he works and left him in the car but were parked right in front of the window and we can see him. Even then I run out every 15 minutes to check on him. Joey is fine in the car he just usually goes straight to sleep. :)

I am one of those people though that are really paraonoid about those things, even today I wont leave my kids in the car for even a minute.

Our doogies really can't get in trouble in the back of the SUV there's a barrrier to keep them there and

The Aussie would bark bloody murder and the heeler would quietly tear the throat out of anyone that would try and steal them. :D

Byrd
March 5th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Sometimes I will take Willow out to the park and then do my grocery shopping on the way back, leaving her in the car. She's fine. She just sleeps, my windows are tinted and I have a security system. My worry is more the cold and her destroying something than her getting stolen.

But, on that note we have a doctor at the clinic where I work who brings his dog and leaves him in the car all day, oh, he goes out now and then to walk him, but it's below 0 here and bitterly cold and the dog is a lab! Nothing can be done I'm told because he goes out to walk him.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
March 8th, 2006, 10:43 AM
I think it's so stupid for dogs to be left in cars for ridiculous amonts of time like that and/or when it's cold or hot outside. They're much happier at home.

les
March 8th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Actually, mine hate to be left at home! They would rather do anything except be left home when I go out. They are much more happy to sit in the car and wait and watch.

I do pay attention to the temperatures and if it's too hot I don't leave them in the car. I don't think they mind the cold too much ;)

I wouldn't leave them all day in the car but I have left them for an hour or so. :)

Dog Dancer
March 10th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Interesting thread. My oldest dog will not stay in the house without ripping it to pieces, so the dogs generally stay outside when we're not home - which for me is often as I work full time. BF is often home though. But the dog does not mind being in the car and watching the world go by. I have brought her to work with me when it's been so miserable outside that the rain was going sideways and it would be impossible for them to stay dry on their deck no matter where they went. I'd go out periodically and let them out to pee and walk them. Sometimes I'd bring them into the office for a while. Even if it's cold, it's still colder if they're outside on the deck and it doesn't seem to bother them. It's not always easy and sometimes we just have to do the best we can. All that said, they're never left in the car when it's sunny or in the summer, I'm all over that! And mine also wouldn't let anyone into the car. It's not ideal, but sometimes what can you do?