Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help, my dog is ill.

johnmetesh
March 3rd, 2006, 03:45 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is John and I have a miniature toy poodle named Baby who will be 12 this April. She's had skin allergies all her life along with yeast infections and weighs about 15 to 16 pounds when she should weigh about 10. Last week she began coughing/gagging loudly pretty much all day long at various intervals. On Tuesday (Feb. 28th) she stopped gagging completely but was now in a trance-like state. She would not show expressions and would pretty much just stare into space and not move too much. She just lays around all day and does not bark, lick her lips, or lick/bite her paws (like she used to all the time because of her allergies). She doesn't appear to be in any pain but occasionally shivers (especially the top of her head) just a bit. She doesn't get excited about going for rides at all now and is very weak because she has refused food since Tuesday (today is Friday March 3rd). She started throwing up any food and even water given to her last weekend and now will not eat at all. She will attempt to drink water but its getting more difficult everday. She was vomiting up almost all water given to her this week. When we hold the water bowl in front of her she slowly hovers her head inside of it as if ready to sip but doesn't. She just stares at it for awhile and then dips her mouth in but quickly pulls back at the touch of the water as if her nose/mouth is too sensitive for its touch. After a few tries she may finally lap up some with her tongue for a couple seconds and then raise her head again for awhile. When we took her to the vet last weekend he gave her some pills to take (Aminophylline I believe) to open up her lungs so she can breathe easier and says that she has some congestive heart failure. She stopped the gagging even before we started her on the pills and they don't seem to be helping her current condition so we are taking her back to the vet today since her condition has worsened and she's lost a lot of weight. Does anyone know what could be wrong or any suggestions for what to do? We love our dog very much and would really appreciate any suggestions, thank you all for your support, this is a very nice community.

John

chico2
March 3rd, 2006, 03:51 PM
John,I have no answers for you,can only offer you sympathy,you and your dog are going through a terrible time,I hope a solution can be found.
Maybe someone else here can give you some advice on feeding etc...so,don't give up:love:

Rene
March 4th, 2006, 05:20 AM
John, your poor baby; hope the vet can figure out what's going on. Have you tried to give her a little baby food; even if she has to lick it off your fingers; at least it's something in her system.

My previous toy poodle had congestive heart failure, but it was helped by the vet with enacard and lasix. In the latter stages he stopped eating, however, I wasn't prepared to give up and in Hardy's case I ended up going to a holistic vet for different drops. Since I'm not a vet, I cannot explain why, but Hardy did start eating again. Right up to the end both my vets worked together and for this I will always have a special place in my heart for their devotion.

Wishing you and your pup all the best. Keep us informed.

Rene

johnmetesh
March 4th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Well, we got the results of Baby’s blood test and it turns out that both her kidneys have failed her and she does not have much longer to live. I am sure that her unhealthy diet did not help her. My mother would always feed her people food including straight butter, coffee, McDonald’s burgers, milk, pop, you name it. So as a lesson if you want your dog to live a long, healthy life then please feed them healthy dog food, because you are not helping them out in the long run by feeding them junk food.

Thanks everyone for your concern,

John

mastifflover
March 4th, 2006, 12:04 PM
I am so sorry for you and your dog.

jesse's mommy
March 4th, 2006, 12:05 PM
I'm really sorry for you both. Just cherish the time you still have together.

OntarioGreys
March 4th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I am very sorry, :grouphug:

some people food if used in moderation is okay and can even be beneficial eg yogurt, canned pumpkin, some vegetables and fruits, but sugary foods like pop can lead to diabetes, some pops and coffee contain caffeine and that can be very harmful to dogs.

Even dog foods can cause problems, sometimes the phophorus levels can be to high and can cause the kidneys to work to hard, yearly physicals are important, once my dogs turn 7 I like to have once a year senior blood profiles done on them, this can help to catch potential problems early as blood values can detect problems with the spleen, liver, kidney, pancreas, thyroid etc, then diet can be modified or supplements to help prevent things from getting worse

chico2
March 4th, 2006, 03:40 PM
John,I am very sorry to read that,I was hoping for some good news:sad:
We live and we learn,I too thought it was ok,to let a cat eat whatever he wanted,licking gravy etc...Of course he ended up diabetic,obese and finally died of cancer(Peppi):sad:
Your pup has had 13 wonderful years of love and care,it's heartbreaking when the end comes,but please don't beat yourself up about it,or blame your mother,sometimes we do stupid things out of love,not knowing it might be bad for your dog/cat.

Frenchy
March 4th, 2006, 05:37 PM
I'm really sorry John,like the others said ; cherish the time you have left with your dog,it's the only thing you can do.

the gang
March 4th, 2006, 08:40 PM
john please note that we are all thinking of you, sometimes i know that is not enough, i had a year not to long ago that was the year from hell , but some how we find our way !if you have to talk were here, i will keep you and the little one in my thoughts take care brenda.:sorry: