Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

greyhounds

TomCat
November 19th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Any greyhound owners on this board?

Lucky Rescue
November 19th, 2003, 03:18 PM
I don't own one, but did foster for awhile for a greyhound rescue. I just loved these dogs - they were sweet, affectionate and quiet. Perfect housepets.:)

Catt31
November 19th, 2003, 06:33 PM
We are looking into adopting a retired greyhound racer. They are very affectionate pets, loyal and great with kids and other pets. The only thing that we are leary about is the fact that you can never let them off leash unless you want to chase them forever. They don't have any street smarts because they were trained to race and chase something around a track. We have met a few retired racers and I fell in love with them! They are beautiful, quiet, loyal pets...just have to convince the fiancee that we need one!!! :D Check out http://www.greyhoundpetsinc.org

TomCat
November 20th, 2003, 09:22 AM
We have 3 greyhounds. They are great. We have a fenced in yard so we don't have the on leash problem.

I wouldn't let the never off leash problem deter from adopting a grey.

If you don't have a fenced in yard, it really isn't a problem to
take them out on a leash to potty. The greyhounds for the most part are good on leashes.

Our greys really don't want to run. They rather just sleep on the couch as the saying goes 45mph couch potatoes.

We are lucky that we have a park that has some ball fields there that are completely fenced off.

We take them there at least once a week to run. They love this alot. We also walk them 1 or 2 other times a week.

When we move, we are going to adopt at least 2 more greys.

Here is a picture of them at the ball field running with our friend Karen's greyhounds.

TomCat
November 20th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Here they are taking a water break.

TomCat
November 20th, 2003, 09:27 AM
Here is our Suzy galloping in after her run.

TomCat
November 20th, 2003, 09:27 AM
Here is our MilkyWay laying in the cool sand after her run.

TomCat
November 20th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Here is our Zues resting after his run.

TomCat
November 20th, 2003, 09:32 AM
This is all they really want to do:) Zeus sleeping on his sofa.

Lucky Rescue
November 20th, 2003, 09:33 AM
Those are some gorgeous dogs, and really great pics!

Catt31
November 20th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Gorgeous dogs!! The off leash thing isn't the only thing deterring us from adopting but it is a factor!! Why are your dogs muzzled? (Just curious!!) Are yours retired racers?

TomCat
November 20th, 2003, 09:10 PM
They are muzzled for their safety. They have thin skin and when they run in a group it reminds them of racing and they may nip at each other.

They are not biters, but it is a race instinct.

Actually, when we leave to go to the ball park and they see us getting their leashes and muzzles out they get so excited and they know where we are going.

It is a cool thing to see.

Good luck to you in your decision.

Carina
November 21st, 2003, 06:26 PM
What beautiful dogs you have! I didn't know about the nipping thing, that's interesting.

The mother of a friend of mine does greyhound rescue, I guess she bought the empty lot next door to her house just so she could have a really big yard for them to run in! I've not been there, but have seen Grey rescue groups set up at fairs & dog shows, they are lovely sweet dogs. Someone in an obedience class I went through had a very shy female named Angel. Angel and Cooper became best buddies, they would look for each other when we entered the building. Really cute. :)

OK, two more questions for Tom.
1: Why are Greyhounds not required to sit for AKC obedience?
2: What's with the big wide collars that many people put on their Greys?
Thanks. :)

TomCat
November 22nd, 2003, 08:12 PM
To answer your 2 questions.

1.I don't know about not having them sit for AKC obedience. Ours went through obedience training and they learned to sit on command and when we weren't by there side.

2. They wear these special collars because a regular collar if they get scared, they can easily back out of the collar and run off,also they could break their neck.
The greyhound collars we have are cool. My wife has ordered collars for every month of the year.